ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Other Co-Existing Conditions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: ADHD and Cluster Headache Questionnaire
Are you a MALE with Episodic Cluster Headache? 1 50.00%
Are you a FEMALE with Episodic Cluster Headache? 0 0%
Are you a MALE with Chronic Cluster Headache? 0 0%
Are you a FEMALE with Chronic Cluster Headache? 0 0%
Have you had Cluster Headache 0-5 years? 0 0%
Have you had Cluster Headache for more than 5 years? 2 100.00%
Do amphetamines seem to INCREASE the frequency, severity or duration of Cluster Headache? 0 0%
Do amphetamines seem to DECREASE the frequency, severity or duration of Cluster Headache? 0 0%
Do amphetamines seem to MAKE NO DIFFERENCE the frequency, severity or duration of Cluster Headache? 1 50.00%
Do Cluster Headaches hurt? 2 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-28-12, 03:59 PM

whaddyacallit is on a distinguished road
Incidence of Cluster Headache

Curious whether the incidence of Cluster Headache is higher among those with ADHD than the general population.

I can't seem to find any relevant scholarly articles using Google, so I thought I'd ask here just as an informal sample.

Please note I'm asking specifically about Cluster Headaches, not migraines or other types of headache.

If you have any information to share, or suffer from them yourself, let's get a conversation going.
The Following User Says Thank You to whaddyacallit For This Useful Post:
Luthien (01-24-13)
Old 01-24-13, 10:25 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Luthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud of
Re: Incidence of Cluster Headache

Thanks, interesting question. I've never before considered whether it would be related to ADHD though.
I had cluster headache episodes for about 7 or 8 years. The clusters occurred about twice a year and lasted for about two months; and the headaches itself occurred once or twice a day within those clusters. They varied in intensity from mild to really, really bad. Now I think about it: apart from the pain there was always a very strong sense of 'oppressive turmoil' in my head which felt as if my brain was in bad need of fresh air, or light. Maybe an amphetamine would have helped, I don't know. I wasn't diagnosed with ADHD yet then.

Maybe it's interesting to mention that if the headache woke me up (usually around 5 am), a strong cup of coffee could revert it. The caffein would also make me feel very sleepy then.
At a certain point it was found out that I had a bit of a hormonal unbalance, so I was prescribed the regular birth control pill upon which the clusters ceased altogether. They have never returned after that.

PS maybe you could add an option to the poll that says "haven't had cluster headaches" to get an idea of how often it occurs?

-- the Lay of Leithian. J.R.R. Tolkien

ADD inattentive / dex 50 mg/d

Old 04-25-13, 06:23 PM

Bags4440 is on a distinguished road

I have been wondering about a link between Cluster Headache and ADD for some time. I've had Cluster Headaches for the past 26 years and I was diagnosed with ADD 10 years ago (I'm 45 now). All of the research I have read leads me to believe there is a tenuous link between the two. Both conditions seem to be related to brain chemistry regulated by the hypothalamus. I would love to see real scientific research on this topic. Dealing with Cluster Headaches is rough, dealing with ADD is rough, having to deal with both can be overwhelming.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-13, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
.... Now I think about it: apart from the pain there was always a very strong sense of 'oppressive turmoil' in my head which felt as if my brain was in bad need of fresh air, or light. Maybe an amphetamine would have helped, I don't know.
I've felt that too, it's an oppressive miasma of disorganzied, inarticulate conflict and tension which leads me to pace about the room and quite literally bang my head against the walls. Very odd, and biological in origin, I'm sure.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 05-17-13, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bags4440 View Post
I have been wondering about a link between Cluster Headache and ADD for some time. I've had Cluster Headaches for the past 26 years and I was diagnosed with ADD 10 years ago (I'm 45 now). All of the research I have read leads me to believe there is a tenuous link between the two. Both conditions seem to be related to brain chemistry regulated by the hypothalamus. I would love to see real scientific research on this topic. Dealing with Cluster Headaches is rough, dealing with ADD is rough, having to deal with both can be overwhelming.
I'm 52, and have had CH for some 15 years. (???) ADD is mild, and IMX amphetamines seem to have no effect on CH.

I suspect there's a correlation, but that's just an hypothesis.

Don't check this forum very often, but if you find anything let me know! If I find anything, I'll post it here, too.
Old 10-31-17, 11:08 AM

DavidBenMesecke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by whaddyacallit View Post
I'm 52, and have had CH for some 15 years. (???) ADD is mild, and IMX amphetamines seem to have no effect on CH.

I suspect there's a correlation, but that's just an hypothesis.

Don't check this forum very often, but if you find anything let me know! If I find anything, I'll post it here, too.
I am exactly your age, male. I have had CH the last time 4 years ago, it lasted 3 month, it was very bad.

I recently was diagnosed with ADHD, severe ADHD and I too am thinking that there could be a correlation between ADHD and CH, I am thinking the overuse of dopamine in our brains may be the cause of both. What are your thoughts on that?