ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-04, 01:10 AM

velvetcactus is on a distinguished road
Books on Introversion

Yes, I suspect many of us on this board are introverts. Being an introvert does NOT mean being shy. It means we get our energy from an internal source rather than other people, like extroverts do. Find out many interesting and positive things about yourself in these books. If you don't have at least 5 epiphanies (aha's!) about yourself your money will be refunded! Just not by me!!!

I recommend starting with #3.

The Top 10 Books for Introverts about the Joys and Strength of Solitude
--------------------------------------------------------

1. Solitude, a Return to the Self by Anthony Storr

"British psychotherapist Storr takes issue with the predominate view in the West that intimate relationships are the exclusive source and measure of mental health and personal satisfaction. In this far-reaching work, he considers the impact of voluntary as well as enforced solitude, particularly on creative persons such as composers, writers, and philosophers. Their efforts take place chiefly in solitude, and Storr argues that solitude has restorative value for the ordinary individual as well. ..."

2. The Highly Sensitive Person: How to Thrive When the World Overwhelms You by Elaine N. Aron (Excellent book! She has also written The HSP and Work with Barrie Jaeger; HSP IN LOVE and a new one for teenagers)

"Are you an HSP? Are you easily overwhelmed by stimuli? Affected by other people's moods? Easily startled? Do you need to withdraw during busy times to a private, quiet place? Do you get nervous or shaky if someone is observing you or competing with you? HSP, shorthand for 'highly sensitive person,' describes 15 to 20 percent of the population...."

3. The Introvert Advantage: How to Thrive in an Extrovert World by Marti Olsen Laney

One of the few books written to help introverts sort out their legitimate personality characteristics in a positive frame of reference.

4. Party of One: The Loners' Manifesto by Anneli S. Rufus

Readers explore the lives of famous, infamous and pseudo "loners" in this fascinating travel through time and space.

5. The Tender Heart: Conquering Your Insecurity by Joseph Nowinski

Joseph Nowinski talks about characteristics of insecurity and how it can be worked with constructively in rleationship.

6. Journal of a Solitude by May Sarton

This book is a meditation on the creative process nurtured by living alone and is an inspiration to many introverts for its quiet strength and deep joy.

7. A Monk in the World: Cultivating a Spiritual Life by Wayne Teasdale, Ken Wilber

In this sensitive and inspiring book, Teasdale explains how to live in two worlds -- how to introduce periods of silence and solitude into daily life and other matters of interest to those who come from within.

8. Gifts Differing: Understanding Personality Types by Isabel Briggs Myers with Peter B. Myers

From the lady who originated the "type" testing of the Myers-Briggs personality inventory, this book, written by an introvert, helps introverts identify themselves as a legitimate personality type.

9. Celebrating Time Alone: Stories of Splendid Solitude by Lionel L. Fisher

Review by Amazon.com: "For six years, Lionel Fisher lived by himself on a remote Pacific Northwest beach, where he had ample time to reflect on how to use solitude to become a happier, more fulfilled person. In a writing style at once eloquent and down to earth, Fisher interweaves his own experiences with other people’s real-life stories to affirm the life-changing benefits of being alone."

10. Fifty Days of Solitude by Doris Grumbach

Review from Publishers Weekly: "This quiet, elegantly written memoir by critic, novelist and essayist Grumbach ( Coming into the End Zone ) sensitively depicts the mingled pleasure and privation of turning one's back on the world...."
Old 10-11-04, 09:05 AM
Contributor

Struggling is on a distinguished road
Great thread!

Quote:
Being an introvert does NOT mean being shy.
Interesting. I always say to people...I am shy, but not shy. Not knowing how to explain myself.....now I know I've been using the wrong word!

I suffer from Overwhlemization Paralyzation
Old 10-12-04, 03:23 AM
ADDvanced Member

pinkie is on a distinguished road
I agree, interesting. I don't feel very shy, but I feel very self-contained and don't have much of a need to be around other people very often. I usually just say I'm shy though.

Time's fun when you're having flies.
- Kermit the Frog
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-04, 03:16 PM

I am an extroverted introvert! I enjoy shmoozing but I desperately need to process information on my own and that requires a healthy dose of good old solitude.
Pinkie, I know what you mean about not always wanting to be aound folks. I find most people wearing to be around. (For example, I can't tolerate gossip! It's a waste of breath!) But get me in a group of like-minded people and I become a live-wire. So I find it's important to find a place where you are appreciated or at the very least, people "get" you- like here!

Happy hermiting! (What total extroverts think we are doing!)
Old 10-12-04, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struggling
Great thread!

Interesting. I always say to people...I am shy, but not shy. Not knowing how to explain myself.....now I know I've been using the wrong word!

Hello Struggling!
Shyness, is a very different kettle of fish. You are apprehensive in social situations-most often for being judged negatively. It is a condition that can be overcome.
Being an intovert is perfectly normal and a very good thing! If you dip in to these books you will find out just how special you actually are! We are blessed with so many wonderful qualities that extroverts (80% of the world) can learn a few things from us. Like thinking things though before we do. (George W?? LOL!)