ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Bipolar > AD/HD and Bipolar in Adults
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-18, 04:28 AM
Jr Member

Discord1984 is on a distinguished road
Severe bipolar 1: Too risky to take stimulants?

I have bipolar type 1 and have had proper manias as well as depression, psychosis and hallucinations. I've been hospitalized more than 25 times. I take lithium, saphris, lorazepam and a sleeping tablet. I still have a lot of problems with work, study, relationships, other behaviour and have also been diagnosed with ADD. I've only recently restarted taking dexamphetamine for this (prescribed by my first psychiatrist). The dex helps A LOT while I'm on it but I'm worried that it's making my mood more unstable. I was on it a few years ago for two years but had to come off it for that reason. My second psychiatrist strongly disagrees with the ADD diagnosis and the prescription of dex given the severity of my bipolar. BUT the thing is, I've battled with these conditions for years, always suffering so much and dex is the only thing that's ever really helped. I'm just trying to confront what it's worth potential long term mood instability. I would be so grateful to hear any advice.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Discord1984 For This Useful Post:
lisariver (10-27-18), namazu (10-27-18)
Old 10-27-18, 04:53 AM
Jr Member

Re: Severe bipolar 1: Too risky to take stimulants?

I'm also taking citalopram, an SSRI, so I'm really not sure if there are additional complications.
Old 10-27-18, 08:20 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,442 Times in 15,032 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I have BPII and when I first started stimulants years ago I was closely monitored. I went back every month for over a year until I was stable. It is something that has to be taken very seriously. You say you had to come off of stimulants in the past, what happened at that time?

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
lisariver (10-27-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-18, 05:11 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I have BPII and when I first started stimulants years ago I was closely monitored. I went back every month for over a year until I was stable. It is something that has to be taken very seriously. You say you had to come off of stimulants in the past, what happened at that time?
To be honest, I don't remember. I was living in England, taking Dex, studying (bipolar not yet diagnosed) and the next thing I remember I was back in Australia in a psych ward diagnosed with bipolar. I was struggling with depression and anxiety in England but there's a big black out period there and then no more dex.

But this time maybe the mood stabilizers will be good enough to keep it all together.