ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Tofranil & Nopramine
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Tofranil & Nopramine (imipramine and desipramine)

Old 12-16-13, 09:35 PM
ADDvanced Member

andy1027 is on a distinguished road
What are these drugs like for ADHD?

Hi. Can we have some people sharing there experiences on these drugs? Please state which drugs you are taking and which other medications you are also taking.

I am very curious as to how this medications are helping people with their concentration difficulties within ADHD. Thank you!

Diagnosed with ADHD in Summer 2003.

My ADHD sometimes looked like innatentive type, but I feel that this was because of the untreated anxiety.
The Following User Says Thank You to andy1027 For This Useful Post:
bedtime (07-01-14)
Old 12-16-13, 10:03 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

mirandatoritess has disabled reputation
Re: What are these drugs like for ADHD?

look at my signature. Anyway, mine are to target hyperactivity. Sometimes they work and sometimes they dont.
"Heaven has no free wi-fi? Screw this Iím going to hell"
"How do you know hell has wifi?"
"Satan owes me several favors"

Its a beautiful day....... I think I will skip my meds and stir things up a bit"
The Following User Says Thank You to mirandatoritess For This Useful Post:
Hyperman87 (04-03-15)
Old 12-17-13, 10:52 AM
ADDvanced Member

andy1027 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirandatoritess View Post
look at my signature. Anyway, mine are to target hyperactivity. Sometimes they work and sometimes they dont.
You don't appear to be taking either Imipramine or desipramine.

Diagnosed with ADHD in Summer 2003.

My ADHD sometimes looked like innatentive type, but I feel that this was because of the untreated anxiety.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-13, 12:19 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

mirandatoritess has disabled reputation

oh never mind, sorry I thought that you were talking about all of ADD meds
"Heaven has no free wi-fi? Screw this Iím going to hell"
"How do you know hell has wifi?"
"Satan owes me several favors"

Its a beautiful day....... I think I will skip my meds and stir things up a bit"
Old 01-10-14, 11:57 PM

dragokatzov is a jewel in the roughdragokatzov is a jewel in the roughdragokatzov is a jewel in the rough

I take it as an anti-depressant. It works wonders with depression for me, but in my own experience, it is useless as an ADHD drug
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dragokatzov For This Useful Post:
425runner (06-27-14), andy1027 (01-12-14), bedtime (07-01-14), Hyperman87 (04-27-14)
Old 01-25-14, 10:27 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,847 Posts
Ms. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond repute

My son took imipramine for a few months. It was slightly effective for a while, then lost it's effectiveness. He wasn't taking it with any other medications.

Imipramine is also prescribed to kids for bed wetting. My son didn't have that problem, so the imipramine suppressed his need to urinate when he woke up in the am. We needed to remind him to go. That was the only side effect of the med for him, so pretty minor.

Last edited by Ms. Mango; 01-25-14 at 10:38 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Ms. Mango For This Useful Post:
Hyperman87 (04-27-14)
Old 05-11-14, 08:55 PM
Jr Member

think.pink is on a distinguished road

I am taking desipramine. I also take adderall. The adderall was prescribed by my regular doctor while the desipramine was prescribed by my neurologist for back and hand pain issues that I have as a result of an auto accident. I have made him aware of my add and adderall intake, and he said desipramine works complimentary to adderall, also helping add. It inhibits the reuptake of norepinephrine and to a much lesser extent, serotonin. Somehow by inhibiting the reuptake of norepinephrine it works on the spinal cord to block pain signals from coming to the brain. My guess is that when you have more norepinephrine in your system, you are more alert and feel less pain as the result of a mild 'fight or flight' reaction from the increased norepinephrine.

Anyway, I will say that it's helped my add. I feel that my thoughts are clearer and I do feel more mentally 'alert'. It has helped the pain issue too, I know you didn't ask about that.. Overall, it has helped me quite a bit, and I do have a better feeling of well being too. It works for me, but I am considering asking for an increase as it doesn't feel like it's quite enough or me.

It's also better to be taken at night, or supposed to be, but I feel more good effects if I take it during the day.
Old 02-02-16, 08:38 PM

Glorfindel is on a distinguished road

Imipramine made me euphoric. Not after a few weeks, just a few minutesright after taking it for an hour or two.
Nothing for my ADD though. It did work as an antidepressant but not in a really profound way.
Old 08-29-17, 06:35 AM

Sunflower009 has a spectacular aura aboutSunflower009 has a spectacular aura about

My Psychaiatrist prescribed me Impimprime as the first thing to try out in treating ADHD. He said that it often makes people tired (and to take it at night if it does) but for me it seems to have no side effects. It works on Seratonin (helpful for depression) and Neuropinephrine (helpful for the de-motivated, procrastinating side of ADHD). I have been taking the lowest dose, 10 mg for about 1 week and basically it has been fine, it is definately helping me in the motivational department! It doesn't have any real effect on attention, concentration, hyperactivity or impulsivity though.

My Psychaiatrist expected that though, and so we are probably going to add a methalphenadate to it, and then see how that goes.
Old 08-06-18, 11:52 AM
Jr Member

Alphawave is on a distinguished road

I've taken imipramine for about 6 years. I started on 150 mg but felt a bit hypomanic on that and have settled with 125 mg.

I took it for depression and I've tried nearly every anti depressant available and none have worked as well as imipramine. It brightens your mood whether you like or or not.

I was diagnosed with ADHD about 2 months ago and have added strattera to the mix. I start it in a few days so I can't tell you what the combo is like yet. Imipramine hasn't done anything for my ADHD