ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Medications for Co-Existing Conditions > Anti-Convulsants
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-18, 06:20 PM

Taraamcgavran is on a distinguished road
Question Anyone have experience taking lamotrigine/lamictal?

So my entire life I've had depression

when I was 6 years old I tried to commit suicide

my emotions are very strong I can be okay one day and then the next day be very sad and I can be sad up to 3 weeks for no reason

I can be sad for a day or two and then be fine again

I have a sleeping problem I sleep for days and days only getting up to go to the bathroom eat and sleep and I'm so exhausted I have a sleeping problem I sleep for days and days only getting up to go to the bathroom eat and sleep and I'm so exhausted I can't seem to stay awake no matter how hard

I try I have a lot of problems focusing especially when I'm driving I zone out and I can't remember a lot anymore

I have been put on Wellbutrin Zofran oxcarbazepine Venlafaxine and nothing has worked

I asked to be put on Nuvigil but they didn't want to put me on it

I asked to be put on desoxyn they didn't want to put me on that either

they almost put me on adderal but chose not to right now

I'm barely starting a medication called lamotrigine

I really hope it works they're starting me off at 25 mg and then I will build up to 100 mg

I'm to the point where I just want to fall over and die I'm so sad all the time and I don't know what to do I just wish I could be normal I don't know how to fix me and I wonder if anybody has tried Lamotrigine and has had the same issues I have and if it's help them

I'm running out of Hope

Last edited by peripatetic; 06-16-18 at 11:47 PM.. Reason: added paragraph breaks between sentences; no content edits
The Following User Says Thank You to Taraamcgavran For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (10-26-18)
Old 10-26-18, 09:28 PM

emperorpenguin is on a distinguished road
Re: Anyone have experience taking lamotrigine/lamictal?

I realize your original post is pretty old, but on the off chance that you circle back (or for someone else who sees this), I figured I'd share my experience.

It was not a net positive for me, unfortunately. I worked up to 200mg and am now in the process of cautiously tapering down (reports vary widely on that process). Whatever benefit it may have given me, the side-effects became intolerable: constant fatigue, lethargy, extreme difficulty trying focus or complete even simple tasks. My primary/original diagnosis is ADHD. So it basically compounded all of that, only worse. Dexedrine and caffeine were NO match. I'm a single dad with a lot riding on me, I simply can't afford to be debilitated like I have been on this stuff.

Anyway, I hope it is/was of more use to you. I am suspicious of my (new) Bipolar II diagnosis--in retrospect I think it was more likely situational depression owing to a rough divorce--so it's likely that it simply wasn't an appropriate prescription for me in the first place. Others do very well on it.
The Following User Says Thank You to emperorpenguin For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (10-26-18)
Old 10-26-18, 09:53 PM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 15,242 Times in 7,590 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Anyone have experience taking lamotrigine/lamictal?

I love my Lamotrigine.

You gotta remember though...meds work differently for each person.

But I've never liked taking antidresents or other kinds of meds. A lot of them gave me some pretty bad side effects...especially anti-psychotics. Not with Lamotrigine though! This is the first pill I've taken for depression I've been happy with and that I've stuck with for any longer than a month or 2.

I've been on Lamotrigine for over a year now, and I've had no noticable side effects from it.
I have bi-polar...and while I'm on these meds I can definently tell that my moods don't drop so low...but when I stop taking them, the deep lows come back to me within several days.

The other thing I like about this med...is it doesn't take forever to start getting the benefits. Some meds can take up to a couple of months to really start kicking in. This med seems to start working within a week or 2 (for me at least).

My pill lady started me on 150mg, and I haven't asked her to adjust yet...though sometimes I wonder if a boost wouldn't help a bit.

Sorry to hear that it hasn't worked out for you Penguin that really sucks man

(((Emperor)))

Hope it's been helping you though Taraa!

(((((((Taraa)))))))

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

Sponsored Links