ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Medications for Co-Existing Conditions > Sedatives
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-17, 10:59 PM
Contributor

Arei is a name known to allArei is a name known to allArei is a name known to allArei is a name known to allArei is a name known to allArei is a name known to all
Re: Do you know of a good "non-addictive" sleep aid?

Coming back to say the Trazodone was a disaster. I was literally falling over. I'm now on Lunesta which is WONDERFUL. It's not what I thought it was going to be. I can sleep normally without any grogginess/hangover effect, even if I get like 6 hours of sleep instead of 8.

I dunno if I will need it long term, some of the hype affects of my new meds are wearing off finally. I still can take naps but when it comes to going to sleep some nights I become wide awake as soon as I hit the pillow, so taking a sleep aid is needed.

Though I've also got this magnesium lotion with melatonin in it that promotes very relaxing sleep (especially before I got on these meds). I still need the lunesta now, but the lotion is still very relaxing and helps with getting good restful sleep.

Old 08-15-17, 11:36 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,122 Times in 2,885 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhound1 View Post
I agree with KD. Only better sleep hygiene and practices will work for the long run. I should have mentioned only short term or occasional use with the trazadone. Not only will your tolerance go up but also your quality of sleep will go down.

Its the same for any sleeper.
The other thing I have used occasionally is a short acting beta blocker.

I am perfectly well aware that part of the ADHD in me is an overactive stress response- relaxation/meditation works well while I am doing it-- but on a bad night it can be back on again soon after I stop the exercise. Propanolol has worked well in the past, and i need to ask my doctor about giving it another go.

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

Old 08-16-17, 02:07 AM

the-slam-jam is on a distinguished road

Webber Naturals Melatonin Super Sleep and ZzzQuil tend to do it for me pretty well.
I'm also able to bore the crap out of myself trying to write short stories on my phone; a few sentences in and I'm out like a light. Sob.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-17, 08:16 AM
Jr Member

concentric is on a distinguished road

I had horrible insomnia where I would stay awake for 3-4 days at a time until I was tired enough to fall asleep. Those days are long gone, although it took a lot of adjustments to find the right dose of medications for me. I was prescribed 400mg of seroquel but that would not allow me to fall asleep. I now take <25mg of seroquel with 1mg melatonin and I am asleep within the hour. I find that allowing it to sit under your top lip for a few minutes allows it to work at such a low dose. There is a window of about 30 minutes where you should allow your body to fall asleep otherwise if you force yourself to stay up, you will miss the window. You will know when this is as you will feel like falling asleep.
Old 02-03-18, 02:43 AM
Jr Member

dopaminerush is on a distinguished road

Valdoxan (agomelatine) is the best sleep aid i have ever tried.
first few days your getting some problems but after that your sleeping like a baby and waking up like a horny boss. Not a powerfull antidepressant but it gave me perfect circadian rythm. I think people should use this thing with prozac and other sleep disturbing drugs.

btw sleep quality is very important. All kinds of respiratory tract obstruction during sleep can disturb brain recovery and can mimic a lot of disorders listed in dsm-5.
Old 02-03-18, 08:20 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,032 Times in 14,817 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Self imposed sleep training.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 02-05-18, 04:10 PM

JakeH99 is on a distinguished road

Hydroxyzine is the best "non-addictive" but I think it's still a "dependency" risk. Same for melatonin. It doesn't mean you technically have any clinically significant "withdrawal" per se or a "need" to taper off, but you might as well because if you're on them like term like I have to be (over 3 weeks'ish) then you will have breakthrough insomnia up the butt if you quit fast. Trazadone/Remeron/Doxepin I'd avoid all that stuff. I didn't like those. Honestly, Hypnotics are the way to go (although totally against the point of the thread being non-addictive, but there's only so many things on the market 'currently'. Just take what I'm saying with a grain of salt, if you will.
Old 02-05-18, 04:12 PM

Also, if you're like me, since I take amphetamines you gotta be really careful if you ever get on those when you do exercise. Specifically, if I do cardio too late with amphetamines/or even caffeine, sleep is guaranteed to be harder. Sometimes it takes some "planning" with psychiatric medicines. I do not believe psych meds are a "one dose fits always and forever." Life is dynamic and I think dosing should be too.
Old 02-05-18, 04:14 PM

Anyone tried Ambien or Sonata? I love Lunesta, but I just don't find the "onset" to be very potent despite loving the non-grogginess as well. I crave the "power" in drugs and that overwhelming smack to the face at times (with no morning grogginess), but maybe I'm hoping for a never-coming miracle, lol? My dad had sleep-walking with Ambien and almost got in trouble with the law from Ambien, so I'm super skeptical of trying Zopiclone instead of Lunesta?
Old 02-05-18, 06:02 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeH99 View Post
Anyone tried Ambien or Sonata? I love Lunesta, but I just don't find the "onset" to be very potent despite loving the non-grogginess as well. I crave the "power" in drugs and that overwhelming smack to the face at times (with no morning grogginess), but maybe I'm hoping for a never-coming miracle, lol? My dad had sleep-walking with Ambien and almost got in trouble with the law from Ambien, so I'm super skeptical of trying Zopiclone instead of Lunesta?
Yes, I've tried both Ambien and Sonata. They're both available in 5mg and 10 mg. For the same dose, Ambien seems a bit stronger, but I prefer Sonata more because it has less of an after effect. Sometimes, if I don't get a full night of sleep after Ambien, my head feels a bit achy. They're both fast acting, and help me feel tired/ready for sleep.
Old 02-05-18, 06:18 PM

Thanked 14,551 Times in 6,499 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Mirtazapine at 15mg can help induce sleep.

Trazodone as previously mentioned.

Mirtazapine + Trazodone might be a no-no for some people...it made me sleep 18 hours straight without waking.

Cheers,
Ian
Old 02-06-18, 05:04 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,032 Times in 14,817 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeH99 View Post
I took both ambien and sonata. Ambien gave me amnesia in the worst way. Sonata is a quick med good for night wakers as it only lasts about 2 hours but dont abuse it. This alcoholic did and when mixed with alcohol its a whole other set of problems. Assuming you are not me (Im in recovery BTW 5 years so not to worry) it can be really helpful for people that wake up at 2 am and cant get back to sleep.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 02-18-18, 08:07 PM

Thanked 6,122 Times in 2,885 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhound1 View Post
I agree with KD. Only better sleep hygiene and practices will work for the long run. I should have mentioned only short term or occasional use with the trazadone. Not only will your tolerance go up but also your quality of sleep will go down.
I'e lost track of the number of pharmaceutical, and herbal sleep aids that I have tried. No matter how promising they start off- in the end they become ineffective.

I would extend my prior answer a little- more recently I have been using my body scanning meditation techniques to identify just what it is that is keeping me awake.

In my case I found a subtle stress response tied in with my neck pain- which is usually pretty subtle at night. A little work recently has identified a craniosacral problem, and releasing that has helped enormously.
However I have quite a worn neck with significant arthritis at a number of levels- so getting this all freed up permanantly is taking time.

Additionally- not necessarily a practical solution unless you have the time- Ive also taken up yoga- and the one hour sessions there are so strong that I can't do them with out falling asleep at the end.

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kunga Dorji For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (02-18-18), mildadhd (03-02-18)