ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Wellbutrin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Wellbutrin (bupropion hcl)

Old 06-10-17, 03:51 PM

Heyitsmeadd is on a distinguished road
Wellbutrin vs Stimulants?

Hello,

I am diagnosed ADD but have never tried stimulants.

Couple of months back I was on wellbutrin for depression and I found it very motivating and as a result was driven and working extra hard getting things done.

How do stimulants compare in this regard?
Old 06-10-17, 08:37 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 14,556 Times in 6,500 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Wellbutrin vs Stimulants?

They don't, they contrast.

Cheers,
Ian
Old 06-10-17, 10:58 PM

Care to elaborate?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-17, 05:51 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,269 Times in 14,935 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I think what aeon might mean is that they are completely different so you cant really compare them.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 06-11-17, 02:40 PM

Well how are they different?

Obviously different mechanism and effect, but they do both improve productivity.

Any input appreciated.
Old 06-12-17, 04:14 PM

Also, can they be taken together?
Old 06-12-17, 06:08 PM

aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyitsmeadd View Post
Also, can they be taken together?
Yes, they can.

Well, at least, I do.

Some may not tolerate the combination.

Cheers,
Ian
Old 06-12-17, 06:11 PM

I never found bupropion motivating in any way. (For me) it has an effect on overall mood state, or baseline mood, but in terms it being energizing, or motivating, it doesn’t do that for me (at 300mg/day or 450mg/day).

Cheers,
Ian
Old 06-16-17, 04:44 PM

Interesting. I did find bupropion very motivating but at the same time sedating!! Not energizing at all. Funny how these meds affect people differently.
Old 07-08-17, 09:57 PM
Jr Member

mcdisney is on a distinguished road

I took Wellbutrin for a couple of years for depression and anxiety, but switched to Lexapro four years ago. Both are great meds that work for many people; I just do better on Lexapro. I no longer have the mental blocks against doing chores or work that I used to have. It doesn't feel like Lexapro or Wellbutrin pushed motivation or energy on me; I've just become more functional since treating the disorders that were blocking me.

I now take Lexapro and Vyvnse together, and I know it's not unusual for people to take Wellbutrin in conjunction with ADHD stims. I say ask for the Wellbutrin again, since it worked for you, and start from there. You might find that your ADD symptoms are caused by depression and/or anxiety, and that they improve with just the Wellbutrin.

I added the Vyvanse because I struggled with conveying my thoughts verbally on-the-fly; I got really flustered, forgot every word I ever knew, and sounded senile. It hadn't actually gotten worse; it was just a bigger problem when I moved into a management position. The Vyvanse helps that, but I still take the Lexapro for the mood disorders.

In a nutshell... Wellbutrin and stims treat different conditions, but all of those conditions share many symptoms, so different meds work for different people based on what the underlying cause is. Hope this helps!
The Following User Says Thank You to mcdisney For This Useful Post:
aeon (07-08-17)
Old 02-27-18, 03:48 AM

Lash107 is on a distinguished road

Wellbutrin/ Bupropion is considered a “stimulating” medication...it is kind of confusing, as it is classified as an antidepressant (but is also FDA-approved to treat other conditions). It’s considered “activating.”

Another example is an atypical antipsychotic drug named Abilify. Abilify isn’t a stimulant but it is “activating.”

I take Wellbutrin for management of bipolar depression episodes and it helped me quit smoking. My psychiatrist said it should also help me with focusing and concentration—I personally haven’t found it to be the case. Therefore, I also take Adderall IR twice per day for ADD-symptoms and distraction (bipolar symptom).

I can feel when Adderall IR begins working and when it’s wearing off. It doesn’t make me hyper, it helps me focus and not get easily distracted.

For Wellbutrin, it works quietly “in the background” for me. It does increase my libido. I’d gladly discontinue my stimulant med if Wellbutrin covered all the above symptoms.
Old 02-27-18, 05:11 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,269 Times in 14,935 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lash107 View Post
Wellbutrin/ Bupropion is considered a “stimulating” medication...it is kind of confusing, as it is classified as an antidepressant (but is also FDA-approved to treat other conditions). It’s considered “activating.”

Another example is an atypical antipsychotic drug named Abilify. Abilify isn’t a stimulant but it is “activating.”

I take Wellbutrin for management of bipolar depression episodes and it helped me quit smoking. My psychiatrist said it should also help me with focusing and concentration—I personally haven’t found it to be the case. Therefore, I also take Adderall IR twice per day for ADD-symptoms and distraction (bipolar symptom).

I can feel when Adderall IR begins working and when it’s wearing off. It doesn’t make me hyper, it helps me focus and not get easily distracted.

For Wellbutrin, it works quietly “in the background” for me. It does increase my libido. I’d gladly discontinue my stimulant med if Wellbutrin covered all the above symptoms.
Very good description of what wellbutrin is and how it works. It was too agitating for me. I am bipolar II and take cymbalta along with other stuff but I tried wellbutrin to see if it would help me with the smoking. It made me physically more hyperactive than normal and it felt like I wanted to peel off my skin. I also take dex and adderall for the adhd.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 04-08-18, 06:45 AM

BoringMike is on a distinguished road

I’ve taken Wellbutrin and Vyvanse together for the last 4 years and i’ve experienced both pros and cons.

PRO - I’ve not gained weight, had sucicidal thoughts (I’ve read that anti-depressants can cause this) or had a significant regression since being diagnosed with PTSD>MDD. I also have not had the urge to binge drink (it really does cut alcohol cravings) as that was a concern of mine (men typically self-medicate depression with alcohol).

Cons = While the medication fights to prevent your “lows” there’s a flip side to it and it will also prevent your “highs” which turns you into a bit of a zombie. If you find yourself not enjoying the things you once did (or not even motivated to try) it could be the medication. Also, since Wellbutrin places you in a zombie like state, you will never feel the “extreme focus” you once did (or at least I don’t anymore). Not even on adhd meds.

One last thing that can be seen as a pro or con is that Wellbutrin seems to regulate the adhd medication. In the past when I would take the vyvanse, there would be a point in the day where I could feel the vyvanse kick in and it generally would feel like going from 30mpg in a school zone to 120mpg (in regards to focus, not behavior). Now I can barely feel any effect at all of my adhd meds. I can even take a vyvanse and go to sleep an hour later when in the past I would have insomnia for at least 12 hours after taking it. When ADD/ADHD meds kick in it makes your brain feel like a faucet turned on with full power and at it’s hottest setting. However on Wellbutrin the adhd meds feel like your a faucet with a tepid stream. Some may want that, some may not.
Old 06-16-18, 02:16 PM

fathom6 is on a distinguished road

In my personal opinion, the worst combination is Wellbutrin and a ADD medicine. You should take either of the two.

- Wellbutrin mildly increases Norepinephrine and Dopamine. You'll only feel it if you never used an ADD med.
- Adderall / Vyvanse dramatically increases the above both.
- Wellbutrin the way it modulates neurotransmitters, it takes the pleasure away from Adderall / Vyvanse. I fail to understand why anyone would take it at same time
- Wellbutrin, I hate it because I have a strong control. I dont have addictions. It works for addiction basically by taking the pleasure out of that addiction.
- I love Vyvanse / Adderall. It has helped me so much in focus,motivation and dare I say depression. Anything that threatens the effectiveness of my Vyvanse or Adderall is my enemy # 1
- God, it took me like a month (after stopping my mortal enemy Wellbutrin) to feel the focus/motivation/happiness from Adderall.

Again, the above is my personal experience.