ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Desoxyn
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Desoxyn methamphetamine hydrochloride (also known as desoxyephedrine)

Old 04-23-18, 06:39 PM

GingerPortland is on a distinguished road
Coughing on desoxyn- prescribing NP doesn't believe me

I developed a tickle and a cough after starting Desoxyn, but when i told my prescribing NP about it she said she'd look into it, but that it was probably not related and I should see my PCP about it. When I started the med it was also cold/flu season, I'd had a cold and many of my colleagues were also experiencing a lingering cough. The cough also got better over time so chalked it up to the cold.

Recently I had an unplanned 2 week break from Desoxyn (due to appointment scheduling issues and policies on refills). When I started up again, the cough came back immediately and vigorously. It starts as a tickle in the back of my throat and then becomes uncontrollable, but it's not a tic. It comes with a tiny bit of thin mucous and sometimes a choking sensation, almost like I can't breath. Water and lozenges help with the tickle but don't control the cough. The cough is worst about 30 minutes into taking the dose, but also comes at night.

I called my clinic to report the symptom and told them this time I'm 100% certain it's caused by the medication (or the medication in interaction with my SSRI- I was on Zoloft and now Vybriid). They just don't believe me- and I get it, there's almost no reported examples of this that I can find online- The closest examples I can find are 1 report of shallow cough and tickle and new-onset asthma in 1 patient taking Adderall. There's also little to suggest what the mechanism might be- there's a doctor on Quora who answered a question about why street meth increases phlegm, referencing the Beta-2 adrenergic receptors reacting to sympathetic stimulation by increasing mucous production, and some reference of people on other stims saying the throat tickle/coughing is a tic, rather than anything related to the respiratory system.

I'm super frustrated because the clinic has been fine tuning me for years- Ritalin (generic), Concerta, Vyvanse, Adderall XR... and they've done genetic testing and Desoxyn is supposed to be the thing I react to the least.

Since few/no reports of this, I don't expect anyone here has experienced it, but any thoughts on mechanism and whether it's an interaction with the SSRI, particularly given that it seems worse with Viibryd? Something to do with the 5-HT1A receptor and its relationship to coughing?

Or maybe I really am wrong that it's the Desoxyn and maybe it's actually that I had increased the Zoloft at the same time I switched to Desoxyn and it's really the SSRIs that are causing it?
Old 04-23-18, 07:41 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 25,911 Times in 12,086 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coughing on desoxyn- prescribing NP doesn't believe me

Like you, I don't find any results for coughing or mucus related to Desoxyn.

But Zoloft does show some incidence of this side effect. But I do not see it
listed under Viibryd.

Which doctor prescribes the SSRI? In your shoes I'd be checking with both the
PCP and the NP because it sounds like a very unpleasant side effect or allergy.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 04-23-18, 08:44 PM

Thanked 14,555 Times in 6,500 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

SSRIs and SNRIs have often (almost always) resulted in issues with salivating, swallowing, coughing, gagging, retching, and suchlike, for me in the past.

Could methamphetamine cause it? Perhaps through dry mouth, but I think it unlikely to occur through non-CNS receptor stimulation at clinical doses.

That said, I've only had methamphetamine as part of a medical study, so I don't really have any experience with it.

Cheers,
Ian
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-18, 09:07 PM

Thanked 21,407 Times in 11,481 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Try drinking twice as much water.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
aeon (04-23-18)
Old 04-24-18, 11:28 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,353 Times in 782 Posts
Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of

Hey GP, MY sinuses are normally extremely clear (non stuffy) w/ dex. Sometimes I have noticed a sinus issue and have some noticeable drainage during the day and it sometimes stuffs up at night. I have had a cough or two at these times. Never anything continuous &/or for an extended period. I always just assumed it was a head cold or environmental (pollen, dust...)and that it would be worse w/o the dex. -LN
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Nut For This Useful Post:
aeon (04-24-18)