ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 03-21-18, 06:00 PM

kwalsh44 is on a distinguished road
Re: Mylan Adderall IR. It's Good.

I was actually thinking that Teva might have more levoamphetamine because of the longer lasting, more physically stimulating effects. I feel like I’m getting way out of my league speculating about it. Mylan seems mellower for now, but I’m not sure how effective it is yet.
Old 04-11-18, 06:30 AM

croissant is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwalsh44 View Post
I was actually thinking that Teva might have more levoamphetamine because of the longer lasting, more physically stimulating effects. I feel like Iím getting way out of my league speculating about it. Mylan seems mellower for now, but Iím not sure how effective it is yet.
OP here. Over time, I have also noticed that it's definitely weaker than Teva and a couple others, yet less negative side-effects. Less "druggy" feeling. More calm and focused without being exhausted. It feels more natural, even though I'm sure it's anything but.

I'll still take it over TEVA any day. But yeah, like the equivalency of a TEVA 20mg Adderall would be, like, a 32mg MYLAN.
Old 05-19-18, 08:19 AM

RobynHood is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwalsh44 View Post
I was actually thinking that Teva might have more levoamphetamine because of the longer lasting, more physically stimulating effects. I feel like Iím getting way out of my league speculating about it. Mylan seems mellower for now, but Iím not sure how effective it is yet.
Currently taking Mylan for the first time, and also feeling mellow. It feels like more of a sedative than anything else. I woke up optimistic, doing morning chores and after I took my first dose, I am now sluggish. I have no desire to get up. it's also affecting my perception/sight in a strange way.

I wish generic drugs were more consistent with one another.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-18, 03:40 PM

AED1955 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobynHood View Post
I wish generic drugs were more consistent with one another.

It's really maddening, the only thing consistent about generic Adderall is it's inconsistency.

Even refill to refill the same generic can vary in how I react to it. For instance I've been taking Teva IR 10mg for the last year or so and on the last refill my mouth gets very dry about an hour after I take it. This is something that has never happened before. I can only guess their quality control, or lack there of is crap. I would love it if I had a way to have these drugs tested for their chemical composition just to see if they are maintaining anything even close to the tolerance mandated by law.
Old 05-30-18, 04:27 PM
Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by AED1955 View Post
I would love it if I had a way to have these drugs tested for their chemical composition just to see if they are maintaining anything even close to the tolerance mandated by law.
I'm pretty sure the law mandates that the amount of active ingredient be virtually completely accurate. And given that it's a controlled substance, I'm pretty sure that the law is enforced stringently.

Now, there is an allowed amount of variation in bioavailability (how quickly an individual metabolizes the medicine), but that typically matters more for extended release medicines. IR meds, on the other hand, are probably exceptionally difficult to mess up since they just dissolve immediately in water/stomach acid.

In terms of getting it tested by a private lab, I'm sure if you have the money, you can probably find something. And if you uncover a conspiracy, then you can call the DEA and tell them that the pharma company is potentially skimming/diverting the active ingredient. (I'm only half joking).
Old 06-16-18, 05:46 PM
Jr Member

ronjay is on a distinguished road

I tried Mylan and it worked for like 3 days and then it crapped out?! Over a four year period I've tried - Core, Mallinckrodt, Sun, Aurobindo, Sandoz, and Teva. Core is discontinued. Mallinckrodt, Sun, and Sandoz is no longer available at the (4) pharmacies in the small town in which I live. Walgreens said they could special order for me - but not sure what that involves as to when & how long? Unfortunately, those three I mentioned above worked the best for me. Seems Aurobindo has taken over and flooded the market - it is crap and refuse to take it. Only Mylan, Aurobindo, and Teva is now available in this town - so I settled for Teva. It works good enough, but seems batches fluctuate in strength & effectiveness. Teva is definitely not the same & reliable as it used to be. Am glad you found a brand that works - hopefully the formula will stay the same. Best of luck to you.
Old Yesterday, 03:21 PM

Lara2654 is on a distinguished road

I also just tried Mylan IR today. Also my first experience with anything except Teva. I cant tell if it works the same. I was very upset when I opened the bottle and the pills where round and light peach color. I've been taking the oval peach ones for years. Now my cvs gave me this stuff. Will this work that same?? So far I don't think it is as stronger . Adderall always gives me neck pain for some reason but today it's not has bad. Does anyone know if this new mylan version is better and does anyone else have back neck issues after taking Adderall and if so what brand you recommend and should I stay with the Mylan generic I should I go to my doctor and get something else. Because he's really good with that. Would write me another prescription if this is making me more tense and not working. Any recommendations of what brand is better stronger and doesn't give you such bad back and neck spasms
Old Today, 01:59 PM
Contributor

Swissy is a glorious beacon of lightSwissy is a glorious beacon of lightSwissy is a glorious beacon of lightSwissy is a glorious beacon of lightSwissy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara2654 View Post
I also just tried Mylan IR today. Also my first experience with anything except Teva. I cant tell if it works the same. I was very upset when I opened the bottle and the pills where round and light peach color. I've been taking the oval peach ones for years. Now my cvs gave me this stuff. Will this work that same?? So far I don't think it is as stronger . Adderall always gives me neck pain for some reason but today it's not has bad. Does anyone know if this new mylan version is better and does anyone else have back neck issues after taking Adderall and if so what brand you recommend and should I stay with the Mylan generic I should I go to my doctor and get something else. Because he's really good with that. Would write me another prescription if this is making me more tense and not working. Any recommendations of what brand is better stronger and doesn't give you such bad back and neck spasms
Give it a chance. Mylan was good for me. So far it sounds positive if youíre s/e are less. One thing is for sure, what is bad for one person could work best for another. So donít be influenced by negative posts. Take it for a few days and see how you feel.
Old Today, 02:28 PM
Jr Member

ImaADHDGuy is on a distinguished road

Adding a thought to this thread:

I know there are all kinds of insurances and/or different countries with different policies, etc. But for anyone who is assuming they cannot get the brand name, it's worth asking if there is a process to get approved for brand name coverage.

I started out on generic, and it was fine. Then my pharmacy gave me those awful Aurobindo things. I decided for consistency's sake, I'd try to get the brand name Adderall. Not because it's necessarily the best out there, but because some of the generics are really bad and I didn't want to do the generic chase around. My insurance plan had a rather simple procedure for getting brand name approved. I just had to have my doctor contact them and say we tried the generics and they were not effective. Approval took only days (and that was only because they had network down issues and my Doc is busy, it's otherwise a 10 minute process once you get the Doc to call).

The brand name is not that much more expensive, since it competes with the generics. So it's probably a more commonly available coverage than one may think.

Teva owns the brand name (IR version), but it's separate from the Teva generic. Due to mergers and acquisitions, Teva owns two producers of Adderall, once being the original brand name IR version. Now I have peace of mind. No matter where I go to get my script filled, I'll get the same product I'm used to.

In my opinion, this issue is more about what people are used to, and changing it up, rather than differences among generics (with the exception of Aurobindo, which seems universally hated by all).