ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > General Parenting Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Parenting Issues The purpose of this forum is to discuss general parenting issues related to children with AD/HD(ADD & ADHD)

Old 09-08-08, 09:27 PM
ADDvanced Member

Jillette is a jewel in the roughJillette is a jewel in the roughJillette is a jewel in the rough
Re: You know your child is ADHD when...

My child's answer for everything is "I do not Know". Telling her to go into the bathroom to brush her teeth and finding her playing with the hand soap and staring into the mirror and when she is reminded gives you the blank stare.
keemekee2 (12-26-08)
Old 09-09-08, 07:18 AM
ADDvanced Member

lollypop has a spectacular aura aboutlollypop has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lark View Post
See, we bolted the kid's furniture to the walls, cause we didn't trust him not to climb it. Apparently it took all the fun out of it cause he never did it.
Now that I never thought off... although the walls were solid concrete so probably wouldnt have been able to do it but I'm holding that idea for future reference

@ Jillette for what its worth we get 'I dont know' (even now that shes 14) far more than we do the imaginary stories about the scissors walking all by themself. I found over the years that when she was in a very good frame of mind and so less aware of the impact of her behavour we were more likely to get these daft stories, the rest of the time which was more frequent when she felt under pressure and 'always getting it wrong' she came out with/ comes out with 'I dont know' and/or the blank stare which kills my husband because he gets that from both me and her LOL
Old 09-09-08, 10:55 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,808 Posts
Lady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond repute

They have screws for concrete. I'd check out the local hardware store. A couple screws and an L bracket = peace of mind.

I'm really glad that worked. Those would have been terrible last words.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-08, 04:27 PM

busygoddess has disabled reputation

When you go out to check mail & come back in to find your son drawing in a puddle of salad dressing on the table.
When you go to the bathroom & come out to find a bag of shredded cheese & a package of bacon bits dumped on the floor & your son is trying to build with it.
You can always tell when your daughter was on the phone because there's a candle surrounded by wax shavings on the coffee table. (that was me, I always carved in candles while on the phone)
You spend two hours hanging posters in the upstairs hallway for your kids, and 5 min later the walls are bare & the floor is covered in shreds of paper.
Your daughter got stitches at 3 years old, because she was dancing with a piggy bank & fell ontop of it, cutting her arm open.
You have to take your 2 year old to the hospital to have her face x-rayed after she ran face first into her doorway & is covered with blood & starting to swell. Then as soon as you get home, she goes running down the hallway again.
Your daughter has to have her head stapled after falling off bed & hitting her head on a bookcase.
You have a pirate themed (skull & crossbones) shower curtain, and daily have to wash the toothpaste off of it because your kids keep brushing the teeth of the skulls.
Old 09-16-08, 04:52 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

xstarchildx is a glorious beacon of lightxstarchildx is a glorious beacon of lightxstarchildx is a glorious beacon of lightxstarchildx is a glorious beacon of lightxstarchildx is a glorious beacon of lightxstarchildx is a glorious beacon of light

They play football at 10.30am in the morning and are still playing football at 10.30pm at night without sitting down or having a rest.
Old 09-17-08, 02:14 PM
ADDvanced Member

Woman on the Verge will become famous soon enough

You get a call from the Kindergarten teacher asking you to explain to your daughter (again) that she needs to stop flashing everyone in class to prove that all mammals have nipples.
http://www.addforums.com/forums/imag...tons/quote.gif

wifeandmom-
This was hilarious for me to read! I went to pick my daughter up from pre-school one day and was called into the directors office. Se wanted to let me know that at outside playtime Chloe put her jacket under her shirt, pulled her pants down and was rolling around in the dirt moaning and groaning. When asked what she was doing, she replied "hello! having a baby!"
I almost died!
The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing but burn, burn, burn like fabulous roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes 'Awww!"
- Jack Kerouac
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Woman on the Verge For This Useful Post:
stndgfrm (10-02-08), xstarchildx (09-17-08)
Old 09-22-08, 07:47 AM

j'sdad will become famous soon enough

you go on a 1.5 hour trip to your mom's house, and you are not sure if the child is breathing properly because he has not stopped talking, asking questions, random statements, singing , the whole way!

I don't need a radio in my car, I have J
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to j'sdad For This Useful Post:
DejaRayne (12-02-08), keemekee2 (12-26-08)
Old 09-30-08, 12:32 PM
Jr Member

stndgfrm is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: You know your child is ADHD when...

When your almost 2 yr old tries picking the lock of your husband's filing cabinet with a fork!
when you start smelling this funny odor everywhere you go and realize that you haven't been able to take a shower for 2 days out of fear that your child will take off and you end up having to look for him for an hour and then call the police because it's dark out and they find him instead.
I can't get my house chores done, I can't take a pee, I can't take a shower, I have to try to wake up before he does because he will take off on a neighbor's bike or just run off to only God knows where (We had to take his because he kept taking off without telling or asking).
I did give some of my neighbors our number in case he does this again, and again, and again!

Last edited by stndgfrm; 09-30-08 at 12:37 PM.. Reason: added a few things
Old 10-03-08, 01:35 PM
Contributor

ditzydreamer has much to be proud ofditzydreamer has much to be proud ofditzydreamer has much to be proud ofditzydreamer has much to be proud ofditzydreamer has much to be proud ofditzydreamer has much to be proud ofditzydreamer has much to be proud ofditzydreamer has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scattered View Post
Lunacie, you reminded me of one.

You know your child is ADHD when she says, "Mom"

You reply, "Yes?"

"Mom"

"Yes"

"Mom"

"Yes"

"Mom"

"What do you want"

"Ummmm..."

LOL... this is my daughter to a tee... or I will tell her to get socks from her room. 10 minutes later she has fed the fish, drawn a picture, tucked her stuffies in bed, cut out miscellaneous shapes of paper and strewn them across her room, read an article or two in her huge "guiness book of records", changed her outfit twice (minus the socks of course) and waltzes barefoot downstairs and when I say "are you forgetting something?" she thinks really hard and says "oh yeah, my pencil!"
The Following User Says Thank You to ditzydreamer For This Useful Post:
Leané's Mom (10-02-12)
Old 10-03-08, 02:34 PM
Jr Member

ZooCrew is on a distinguished road

OMG the whole room being messier is totally my son!!! Drives my husband to distraction that the child can't keep his room tidy....and to my son, his room IS tidy!!! It's crazy. But I tell you what, that child keeps his drawing supplies very tidy and knows where every one of them are at!

oh and yes, I have to tell him 10 thousand times to get his socks, etc, and he'll do everything BUT get his socks (or take his meds)...ugh!
Old 10-04-08, 09:25 PM
ADDvanced Member

patboul has a spectacular aura aboutpatboul has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by j'sdad View Post
you go on a 1.5 hour trip to your mom's house, and you are not sure if the child is breathing properly because he has not stopped talking, asking questions, random statements, singing , the whole way!

I don't need a radio in my car, I have J
I feel for you... My son is the same kind. There must world records in the Guinness book about the number of words per minute/hour/day/week/month/year that can be said by one person... My boy would be the clear winner on these ones!
Old 10-05-08, 12:26 PM
Jr Member

crankie is on a distinguished road

Re: You know you child has Adhd when....

At ten years old my daughter still looses her clothes regularly. Especailly at school or after school clubs. The more she enjoys the club the more likely she will loose her clothes!!!!
Old 10-12-08, 04:34 AM

RamblinDad is on a distinguished road

... when you tell your son to get his shoes on for the umpteenth time and he yells at you out of frustration that he can't find them and they are right at his feet.

... when you find yourself telling your subordinates at work to do something, and repeating it three times in succession without pause and not realizing you are doing it because it has become second nature.

These are all so true and so funny in a hilarious and yet somewhat sad way.
Old 10-14-08, 04:51 AM

babycatcher will become famous soon enough

Some of these posts have made me laugh out loud so I thought I'd tell you a couple of ours.

Only this morning. Mum has bought lots of craft/glitter/card to make christmas cards for school homework. Glue/glitter/bits all over carpet and TV

DS is so impulsive that rather than make it to the toilet, he will pee just about anywhere - the dog's bowl, the window ledge and buckets are favourites!

Telling him a million times to get his clothes on is another. The post about dirty marks/crayon/felt tips all over the walls - this is my house too.
Old 10-14-08, 09:20 AM

mmam5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scattered View Post
Lunacie, you reminded me of one.

You know your child is ADHD when she says, "Mom"

You reply, "Yes?"

"Mom"

"Yes"

"Mom"

"Yes"

"Mom"

"What do you want"

"Ummmm..."
LOL I'm new here - but I am in tears of laughter/sad cuze of all of the above posts ... This particular conversation is almost daily