ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 03-21-17, 03:32 PM
ADDvanced Member

Johnny Slick is just really niceJohnny Slick is just really niceJohnny Slick is just really niceJohnny Slick is just really nice
Re: is ADHD just me making excuses for my faults?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
Have you read this book yet? "You Mean I'm NOT Lazy, Stupid or Crazy?"
by Kate Kelly and Peggy Ramundo. I absolutely recommend it.
I second the crap out of this, and want to add that this book was/is a very hard read for me, too, albeit for different reasons than "I can't get into nonfiction". There's a bit at the beginning where the authors present a number of case studies in order to explore the different sorts of coping methods people with lifelong ADHD develop and I literally cried all the way through reading that, it spoke to my experience so much. I have to admit, it was a bit embarrassing because I read several of the chapters on a plane flight over the holidays, but still... while I am a big, big fan of narrative fiction, occasionally nonfiction does a great job too, especially when it says "hey, you there. THIS IS YOU. STOP BEATING YOURSELF UP AND ALSO STOP THINKING YOU'RE UNIQUELY FLAWED.YOUR EXPERIENCE? IT'S ACTUALLY KIND OF NORMAL."

And I have to say, not just *my* experience either - this book was key to my own realization that there are actually a lot of people out there who suffer from ADHD, some of them without totally knowing that they do, and not only that but that ADHD is not necessarily some little, barely consequential thing (though I guess it can be, depending on how severe your case is and how early it got caught) but a potentially huge issue that can shape your life in ways you never realized that it could. In fact, I feel like for me one of the foundational "getting it" moments was realizing that even though all my life I've been fighting against what I assumed was laziness, I'm *not actually lazy*. And that meant that in turn an awful lot of the things I did to myself to combat that "laziness", I didn't actually have to do, or at least I could rethink under the lens of creating strategies to deal with a mental condition.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnny Slick For This Useful Post:
ajaxblu (03-21-17), Lunacie (03-21-17)
Old 03-21-17, 08:52 PM

ajaxblu has a spectacular aura aboutajaxblu has a spectacular aura about
Re: is ADHD just me making excuses for my faults?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Slick View Post

... and not only that but that ADHD is not necessarily some little, barely consequential thing (though I guess it can be, depending on how severe your case is and how early it got caught) but a potentially huge issue that can shape your life in ways you never realized that it could. In fact, I feel like for me one of the foundational "getting it" moments was realizing that even though all my life I've been fighting against what I assumed was laziness, I'm *not actually lazy*. And that meant that in turn an awful lot of the things I did to myself to combat that "laziness", I didn't actually have to do, or at least I could rethink under the lens of creating strategies to deal with a mental condition.

Yes!! Same here! When I think if all the years I've wasted...

But no - I'm going to think about what I can do NOW. I can't let myself get caught up in regrets (because I tend to do that).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajaxblu For This Useful Post:
dvdnvwls (03-21-17), Johnny Slick (03-22-17)