ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Learning Disabilities (LD)
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-17, 05:18 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

dormammau2008 has disabled reputation
Red face The Irlen Syndrome links to adhd

IRLEN SYNDROME IS A PERCEPTUAL PROCESSING DISORDER

It is not an optical problem. It is a problem with the brain’s ability to process visual information. This problem tends to run in families and is not currently identified by standardized educational, psychological, optometric, or medical tests. This problem can manifest itself differently for each individual. Irlen Syndrome is not remediable and is often a lifetime barrier to learning and performance.

SIGNS OF IRLEN SYNDROME
◾Light Sensitivity
◾Reading Problems
◾Headaches and Migraines
◾Attention and Concentration Problems
◾Strain and Fatigue
◾Problems with Depth Perception
◾Print or Environmental Distortions

More Information About Signs and Symptoms of Irlen Syndrome

WHO IS AFFECTED?

Irlen Syndrome is present in a variety of populations, including individuals identified with reading and learning difficulties, low motivation, attention deficit disorder (ADHD), discipline problems, headaches and migraines, autism, and traumatic brain injury. While more common in populations with specific difficulties, such as reading problems and ADHD, even gifted and highly successful individuals can be impacted by this issue – often working harder and suffering more than necessary to succeed.

IRLEN BY THE NUMBERS
◾14 % General population
◾46% Individuals with reading or learning difficulties, including dyslexia
◾35% Individuals who have suffered TBI or concussion
◾33% Individuals on the autism spectrum
◾33% Individuals with attention and concentration problems, including ADHD
◾Individuals with medically resistant headaches and migraines (incidence data not yet available)
Solutions: Irlen Colored Overlays and Spectral Filters
:
goodpost: its intresting to note that,,, we all seem to have a link to this via the adhd ,,,,,and dyslexia and all the others ,,,, I ounder how many have had the overlays filters glass and what help they were to you....
and do you think the irlen comes first or do you think the adhd dose?? thoughts plaseae
userguide (06-07-17)
Old 06-05-17, 05:53 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,943 Times in 9,008 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Irlen Syndrome links to adhd

It's important to note that the reason "Irlen syndrome" is not included on any standard tests is the strong scientific consensus that it isn't a valid diagnosis. It seems that while there have been multiple reports of symptoms, there is no evidence showing that there might be a cause separate from the other conditions that it seems to occur along with.

In other words, it seems nobody has ever been found who has just "Irlen syndrome" by itself, so it's probably a set of poorly-publicized symptoms of something else.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
dormammau2008 (06-06-17), userguide (06-07-17)
Old 08-02-17, 01:35 AM

Dez5586 is on a distinguished road

I can not attest to its validity in the scientific community but as a graduate student i would be willing to look into it. Despite this I do use an overlay and have found it to substantially increase my reading comphrension and ability to sit and read for longer periods. Previously my eyes would become fatigued and would hurt. I do have a diagnosis of ADD so i dont know if it is just something that overlaps or not but i would reccommend that if you want to try it then it definitely couldnt hurt.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-17, 05:13 PM
Jr Member

Hutchie0109 is on a distinguished road

The glasses help me too, need to get a new prescription and second pair for non reading, I guess that means non prescription lenses, just the colour bit.

That presents a problem as they're glasses that are green/red which draws attention, standing out a bit, maybe looking pretentious.
Old 08-02-17, 10:49 PM
I eat shades of red.

Thanked 21,667 Times in 9,154 Posts
Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdnvwls View Post
It's important to note that the reason "Irlen syndrome" is not included on any standard tests is the strong scientific consensus that it isn't a valid diagnosis. It seems that while there have been multiple reports of symptoms, there is no evidence showing that there might be a cause separate from the other conditions that it seems to occur along with.

In other words, it seems nobody has ever been found who has just "Irlen syndrome" by itself, so it's probably a set of poorly-publicized symptoms of something else.
Okay, but does this help?
Old 08-03-17, 06:12 PM
Jr Member

Hutchie0109 is on a distinguished road

Ok not really understanding all the scientific speak, is it that they are of benefit to some people just not enough?, isn't there some evidence, as we have lenses, overlays and contacts which do help some therefore they work? Some people are colour blind, or are they faking it? Our neural system is affected by colour, according to sports science, designers etc