ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-17, 01:00 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Batman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Anyone else like this or "am I just a worthless genetic defect?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
I myself would probably be considered by outsiders to be a high functioning ADHD, but that would be based on a rather superficial view of my outward functioning, and ignores the internal chaos that permeates my daily routine. A previous psychiatrist had diagnosed me with Aspergers, but as SarahSweets said, that is no longer in the DSM, so perhaps I am in fact somewhere on the autism spectrum, but I don't know.

Ironically, your writing style makes you come across to me as someone who is an organized, articulate thinker. I'm not a medical professional. Do you have a psychiatrist and/or psychologist/therapist? If so, what is their opinion? Have you considered the possibility of a learning disorder (which can be in addition to, or instead of, other potential conditions such as ADHD, ASD, etc)? Could you share more information about your life story (education, family background, work history, etc)? Have you ever had a neuropsychological or psychoeducational assessments? Any family history of mental/neurological illness?
My writing style gives that impression because I like words, I like writing, I'm good with spelling/grammar but most of all is that I try to *take my time* to reply. Probably I write half as fast as the slowest of y'all.

I hope no one mistakes it for intelligence (although that happens a lot.) Intelligence is actually about comprehension, not just writing things down. I don't have comprehension and that's the bane of my existence.

The first therapist many years ago said "social anxiety" which is 100% correct. Later on after developing serious addiction problems, a different therapist agreed that I have ADD.

I'll not discuss the more personal details for the moment.

The two other "learning disorders" which may be of interest include Dyspraxia and NVLD (non-verbal learning disorder.) I have elements of both.
As I understand the first by itself should theoretically not affect social skills. The second is a close match but it appears there is much confusion about this disorder and I think NVLD isn't in the newest DSM.

It seems to me that a lot of Asperger/autistic folks have traits that fit NVLD. As I understand NVLD by itself usually doesn't have the social disconnect nor the inflexibility/routines.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Batman55 For This Useful Post:
namazu (08-13-17), stef (08-13-17)
Old 08-14-17, 12:09 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Batman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
what would it mean for you "to connect"? i mean in practical terms: what does that look like?
In a sense it is quite simple. I'm looking for ADD/ADHD types who are low functioning in general, as defined by being academically crappy as well as being *socially* low functioning (avoidant, anxious, unable to socialize in groups.) I believe these folks exist, but will not mention these difficulties out of shame.

The other way to look at it is I'm looking for Asperger's folks who are not academically distinguished/not "students for life." But I cannot find them.
But that is bulls**t; studies show the vast majority of folks on the spectrum are severely compromised by societal standards per age. College standouts are the exception, not the rule. It's just these folks won't speak up because it goes against the stereotype of "poor socially, but gifted academically." (Aspies will never admit to lacking academic smarts, even if they have a GED.)

You might say it seems weird to ask if folks "fit" a category defined by underperformance. But ask yourself this: how else/who else can I relate to? Do you have a good answer for that?

Would I relate to someone who is high functioning and has their "good degree" with their "good career" and a social circle to participate in?

This problem of disconnect extends to other specific areas as well, but that's where the blinding rage comes in and I have to get politically incorrect to make the point come across. You can guess what I'm talking about if you want. I have to force myself to keep quiet on this, out of politeness.

Try and think about where "status" and "class" and "social worth" come into play the most, and you might have an idea. And you might have your answer as to why I am looking for a "mirror image" because literally no one else extends even the faintest glimmer of a chance. Again, this is shaky territory and I'm not really able to talk about it here.
Old 08-14-17, 01:47 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 23,209 Times in 10,723 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman55 View Post
In a sense it is quite simple. I'm looking for ADD/ADHD types who are low functioning in general, as defined by being academically crappy as well as being *socially* low functioning (avoidant, anxious, unable to socialize in groups.) I believe these folks exist, but will not mention these difficulties out of shame.

The other way to look at it is I'm looking for Asperger's folks who are not academically distinguished/not "students for life." But I cannot find them.
But that is bulls**t; studies show the vast majority of folks on the spectrum are severely compromised by societal standards per age. College standouts are the exception, not the rule. It's just these folks won't speak up because it goes against the stereotype of "poor socially, but gifted academically." (Aspies will never admit to lacking academic smarts, even if they have a GED.)

You might say it seems weird to ask if folks "fit" a category defined by underperformance. But ask yourself this: how else/who else can I relate to? Do you have a good answer for that?

Would I relate to someone who is high functioning and has their "good degree" with their "good career" and a social circle to participate in?

This problem of disconnect extends to other specific areas as well, but that's where the blinding rage comes in and I have to get politically incorrect to make the point come across. You can guess what I'm talking about if you want. I have to force myself to keep quiet on this, out of politeness.

Try and think about where "status" and "class" and "social worth" come into play the most, and you might have an idea. And you might have your answer as to why I am looking for a "mirror image" because literally no one else extends even the faintest glimmer of a chance. Again, this is shaky territory and I'm not really able to talk about it here.
Those who are considered low functioning or struggle more with any social
communication are less likely to be found on forums like this or A Different
Planet, because the struggle is real and they're tired of being made fun of
for spelling mistakes and poor grammar.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Sponsored Links