ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Scientific, Philosophical & Theoretical Discussions > Open Science & Philosophical Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Open Science & Philosophical Discussion This forum is for open discussion, encouraging new and unconventional ways of thinking, welcoming posts in any format

View Poll Results: Do you consider your external environment as part of your body?
Yes 3 25.00%
No 5 41.67%
other 4 33.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-12-17, 06:33 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Location: Floating around on a melting iceberg, north North America Canada
mildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you consider your external environment as part of your body?

Oxygen, etc, can exist without the ability to shoot.

But the ability to shoot cannot exist without Oxygen, etc.

m
"In the history of the human race, those periods which later appeared as great have been the periods when the men and the women belonging to them had transcended the differences that divided them and had recognized in their membership in the human race a common bond" -Haile Selassie I
Old 04-12-17, 07:04 PM

mildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond repute

Could a person experience PTSD without an environment?

Could a person experience getting shot without an environment?

m
"In the history of the human race, those periods which later appeared as great have been the periods when the men and the women belonging to them had transcended the differences that divided them and had recognized in their membership in the human race a common bond" -Haile Selassie I

Last edited by mildadhd; 04-12-17 at 07:20 PM..
Old 04-12-17, 07:08 PM

Everything seems to have physical components?

There does not seem to be anything that exists alone?

m
The Following User Says Thank You to mildadhd For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (04-12-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-17, 07:47 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 12,028 Times in 5,842 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
Everything seems to have physical components?

There does not seem to be anything that exists alone?

m
The external environment and/or Mother Nature seems to meet the criteria for existing alone don't they?
Old 04-12-17, 08:31 PM

Thanked 23,279 Times in 10,756 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
Could a person experience PTSD without an environment?

Could a person experience getting shot without an environment?

m
Yes, we experience the environment. Or it's effect on us.

That's not the same as being part of our body. IMO.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 04-12-17, 08:37 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 12,028 Times in 5,842 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

I said no on the poll because I would consider my body to mainly be a part of the external environment.
The Following User Says Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (04-12-17)
Old 04-12-17, 09:25 PM

Thanked 23,279 Times in 10,756 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhound1 View Post
I said no on the poll because I would consider my body to mainly be a part of the external environment.
Interesting viewpoint.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (04-12-17), mildadhd (04-13-17)
Old 04-12-17, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Thanks

Although I think your still saying ,yes, I consider the external environment is part of my body.

I agree. I think the way you are saying it, is even a more accurate, there are external environmental parts of our bodies that evolved first.

m

Last edited by mildadhd; 04-12-17 at 11:50 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to mildadhd For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (04-13-17)
Old 04-13-17, 12:48 AM

Quote:
The external environment and/or Mother Nature seems to meet the criteria for existing alone don't they?
External environment and/or Mother Nature consist of many parts.

I myself can't think of any thing that works alone, without some type of relationship with something else?

m
Old 04-13-17, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aur462 View Post
My body could not exist without an environment, and my environment is pivotal, generally, but in terms of the "old fashioned" notion of body in medical books - the physical stuff, inherently my body and environment are mutually exclusive. I would rather "my environment" be shot than "my head"

I've read and believe I fully understand the contradictory arguments presented, but I welcome further discourse in case I'm missing something.
I do not think they are mutually exclusive.

My external environment and my internal body's environment would have to exist to be shot.

But reading your post, I cannot help but think I am missing things.

Order of evolution verse individual self experiences? (I am not sure?)

Environmental evolution survival?

Species evolution survival?

Individual evolution survival?

I am not sure.....?

Interesting discussions something about the individual self to think about, thanks.

m

Last edited by mildadhd; 04-13-17 at 01:54 AM..
Old 04-13-17, 01:50 AM

I am sure our bodies required oxygen to survive before it was called a medicine.

Quote:
Quote:
The use of oxygen in medicine become common around 1917.[8][9] It is on the World Health Organization's List of Essential Medicines, the most effective and safe medicines needed in a health system.[10] The cost of home oxygen is about 150 USD a month in Brazil and 400 USD a month in the United States.[3] Home oxygen can be provided either by oxygen tanks or an oxygen concentrator.[1] Oxygen is believed to be the most common treatment given in hospitals in the developed world.[11][1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_therapy

Old 04-14-17, 03:35 PM
ADDvanced Member

aur462 is on a distinguished road

I think your question can be answered either way depending on how you word the question. If you answer it from an anatomical perspective, a body has parts that have been formally defined by science - like arms, etc. Conversely, the "stuff" that makes up a body includes atoms acquired from the environment and vice-versa, among other symbiotic relationships (something like that - someone less ignorant on life science might explain it differently/better).

You mentioned Phineas Gage; he's a good argument against having "free will", another fun philosophical topic =>)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aur462 For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (04-15-17), namazu (04-14-17)
Old 04-15-17, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aur462 View Post
You mentioned Phineas Gage; he's a good argument against having "free will", another fun philosophical topic =>)

That sounds like so much fun!

(Which is really interesting, because technically I did not hear with my ears any sounds from you, when I read your post.)

I have never decided to discuss free will before.

I will start another more specific thread discussion, so I do not derail this thread discussion.

m