ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Dexedrine/Dextrostat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Dexedrine/Dextrostat (dextroamphetamine)

Old 09-01-18, 04:49 PM
ADDvanced Member

cobain67 has a spectacular aura aboutcobain67 has a spectacular aura about
Generic Dexedrine ER Manufacturers

I don't see much if any current feedback on dex er generic manufacturers and am curious as to what those around here prefer?

I think the following generics are available at this time:

Impax: purchased Amedra/Corepharma and also manufacturers the Corepharma generic

Mayne: purchased Actavis generic

Mallinckrodt: Generic manufacturer

Mylan: newer FDA approved generic manufacturer

Barr: generic manufacturer

I would like to know which generic any of the few left on dex spansules prefer and personal experiences with any/all.

Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to cobain67 For This Useful Post:
adhdseeker (12-07-18)
Old 09-03-18, 07:12 PM
ADDvanced Member

Re: Generic Dexedrine ER Manufacturers

Anybody ?
Old 09-08-18, 04:46 PM
ADDvanced Member

Not many seem to use the spansules these days.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-18, 01:02 AM

Jack_Burton is on a distinguished road

Dosing schedule typically is: Start day with capsule instantly, redose 4 sometimes 3 hours later, and then a 3rd time at about 7 or 8 PM. Total of 45 mg a day, but when Im optimal I do 60mg a day. I take my short acting barbiturate 4 hours after my last Dexedrine.

I use the 15mg spansules, and have only experienced the Barr brand and I believe the Mylan brand (The 15mg capsules are white with red print). I prefer the Barr brand because they seem to work less subtlety which I like and do not feel like a distant, vague feeling of focus that Mylan provides. Ive noticed that Milan can leave me listless sometimes and somewhat melancholy, especially towards the end of the day, even before the crash, which I always negate anyway with heavy duty, schedule 2 hypnotics.

Yesterday, I was supplied with the Actavis 15mg Dexedrine, which maybe to early to tell, but appears to be WAY better than Mylan: Smoother, Clarity, Focus, Calm, Mental Kick!

That being said I found a really cool new psychiatrist/ NP Im about to switch to who is gonna switch me back to my optimal combo of dextroamphetamine instant release 10mg every 2 hours (50mg a day) + 200mg Seconal.

Hope this helps
The Following User Says Thank You to Jack_Burton For This Useful Post:
adhdseeker (12-07-18)
Old 09-09-18, 04:24 PM
ADDvanced Member

Thank you.
Old 09-09-18, 06:36 PM
ADDvanced Member

Do you feel well/satisfied with your routine?
Old 09-13-18, 03:58 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

When I took the spansules I took Barr and it worked great.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 09-13-18, 07:34 PM
ADDvanced Member

Awesome thanks
Old 09-22-18, 04:44 PM

tracee222 is on a distinguished road

I've been taking it for a few months now, I wanted to try a couple of different manufacturers however, they seem to only stock Mallinckrodt here. It's been fine. I take 30mg in the morning and then 30mg short acting in the afternoon. I'm not sure if there is a large-scale shortage but I've been trying to find a pharmacy for the past few days that can get it in :/
Old 09-22-18, 04:51 PM
ADDvanced Member

I can't find anything on shortages, so hopefully your able to get your refill asap.
Old 09-22-18, 05:00 PM

tracee222 is on a distinguished road

Thanks cobain67, I hope so too! The only thing current that I've found on dex er is that Mylan discontinued it last month.
The Following User Says Thank You to tracee222 For This Useful Post:
adhdseeker (12-07-18)
Old 09-22-18, 05:35 PM
ADDvanced Member

Anytime! Dex really is great.
Old 09-29-18, 06:42 PM

AzRainy is on a distinguished road

I take Dexedrine 15 mg capsules once a day along with 2-1/2 10 mg tablets three times a day. I usually take the capsule and half a tab when I get up and then another tablet about 5 hours later and the last tablet 5 hours or so later. No problems really except the ubiquitous dry mouth. Im gonna be 65 in 2 days and have hypertension which is usually controlled on meds (out currently though ) and it doesnt raise it more than a couple of points.

Hubby is also on Dexedrine but different dosing. Hes been on it for over 20 years and I was only diagnosed 3 years ago. Our son was diagnosed at 6, and our 2 daughters in their teens. One granddaughter was recently diagnosed at 15 and my grandson was diagnosed at 7. So we are one big happy ADHD family, lol.

The reason for my post is weve been having trouble finding Dexedrine capsules the past couple of months. Weve been on Mayne for the most part recently (not a fan) and suddenly Walgreens has it on back order, forcing us to shop around in order to get it. Does anyone know WTF is going on? And any ideas about where to look next?

Were in Maricopa, Arizona, but Chandler is only 20 minutes away.
Old 09-30-18, 06:51 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzRainy View Post
I take Dexedrine 15 mg capsules once a day along with 2-1/2 10 mg tablets three times a day. I usually take the capsule and half a tab when I get up and then another tablet about 5 hours later and the last tablet 5 hours or so later. No problems really except the ubiquitous dry mouth. Im gonna be 65 in 2 days and have hypertension which is usually controlled on meds (out currently though ) and it doesnt raise it more than a couple of points.

Hubby is also on Dexedrine but different dosing. Hes been on it for over 20 years and I was only diagnosed 3 years ago. Our son was diagnosed at 6, and our 2 daughters in their teens. One granddaughter was recently diagnosed at 15 and my grandson was diagnosed at 7. So we are one big happy ADHD family, lol.

The reason for my post is weve been having trouble finding Dexedrine capsules the past couple of months. Weve been on Mayne for the most part recently (not a fan) and suddenly Walgreens has it on back order, forcing us to shop around in order to get it. Does anyone know WTF is going on? And any ideas about where to look next?

Were in Maricopa, Arizona, but Chandler is only 20 minutes away.
I don't know what is going on specifically with dex spansules but a stomach medicine I have to take was back ordered until November I was told, due to a shortage. I know they are not in the same class but It was just something I wanted to share. I asked my pharmacist how shortages happen and he gave me the expected answer of demand/ manufacturer issues etc. When there was an adderall shortage years ago someone explained the stimulant shortage like this and I think its accurate although maybe not-

When it comes to stimulants, companies have to sort of estimate how many people take a certain drug and how many new people with be prescribed it. They give that estimate to their department that handles the gathering of the raw ingredients (amphetamine in this case). Because its a controlled substance my understanding is they then tell the government(DEA?) how much amphetamine they need to make their pills. The government either approves or not their request and gives it to them and they go on about their business making the drug. Should they underestimate the amount of raw ingredient they need or should the government not give them what they need, then they will not have enough to go around. This causes a shortage and then usually the price goes up. That's the very basic way I understand it.

The conspiracy theory part of me wonders if artificial shortages happen, or if companies blame the government or if the government is in cahoots with the drug companies in order to raise prices but that's just the cynic in me. I do not know 100% if I am right but someone here who had a lot of knowledge about this broke it down for me like this. It makes sense to me but I could be wrong.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 12-07-18, 09:10 AM
ADDvanced Member

adhdseeker will become famous soon enough

I’m not sure if this is what you’re looking for but here is my experience with various Dex manufacturers (all generic, all extended release):

Dex ER manufacturers:
BARR — As far as I know, they stopped making Dex entirely. I took this one for awhile. Compared to the others it is more jittery, more anxiety producing.

Mylan — My clear favorite for awhile… made me much more social. My mind seems totally calm, almost devoid of thoughts. But it pushes me out externally and helps me be social and get things done. It gives me an energy boost and sense of being at ease without affecting my thought process and therefore helping me keep my silliness. Overtime it stopped being as effective, in particular, it really does little to nothing with respect to directing my thoughts. These days, I find it helpful to sleep but avoid it for actual social interactions or trying to think well.

Mayne — this is the brand that is easy to find that I take regularly now. It actually has an effect on my thoughts unlike Mylan. This medicine is more potent than Mylan so I take considerably less of it.

Mallincroft — I hate this one. Makes me irritable and my jaw tight, even at low doses. I avoid at all costs.

Actavis — I haven’t ever tried this but would like to at some point.
Zenzedi — I haven’t ever tried this but would like to at some point.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to adhdseeker For This Useful Post:
catnips (08-22-19), Endless_Fever (01-12-19)