ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-19, 11:21 AM

drlizard is on a distinguished road
Do you have troubles in group situations?

When I was a child it was extremely severe, I couldn't speak in class at all. I could sometimes form bonds with other kids 1 on 1, but group situations were impossible for me. Looking back the only explanation I can think of is that you can't have that chameleon quality which adapts to the person you're with to match his expectations or maybe to NOT create any personal bonds or expectations.

Did you have or still have such difficulties?
Old 09-30-19, 04:01 PM
ADDvanced Member

PI-ADHD 29 is on a distinguished road
Re: Do you have troubles in group situations?

Intersting. We're similar. I was always introvert, shy, lack of self-esteem etc... in all my life. For me some of reasons for that are:
*Depression and social phobia that coexist with adhd.
*Clumsiness, careless mistakes, forgetfullness, impulsiveness (i'm inattentive but have also impulsivity symptoms too).
*Not to be able to concentrate to conversations if the conservation doesn't interst me (for example i'm not interested in football, tv series, slang, gossip). I think most of conversations are waste of time.
Also i think your 'chameleon quality' explanation is super and just describes me also.
Started with ritalin (worked only for two weeks)
Also tried wellbutrin and strattera
Now: ritalin and medikinet
For about three years local corticosteroid pomades for atopic dermatitis.
Old 09-30-19, 10:36 PM

Monox D. I-Fly has a spectacular aura aboutMonox D. I-Fly has a spectacular aura about

I seldom have any trouble in group situations unless they start getting fed-up by my behavior which they perceive as childish. If neither of us can change it, I go to the Safe Mode: Shutdown. This has been my fourth time shutting down to other people: The first was when I was in grade 8, the second in grade 12, the third was in the fifth semester during college, and the last is currently at work.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-19, 04:17 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 30,768 Times in 14,149 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. I can never understand what other people are talking about unless it's something I find highly interesting. So I can't really contribute anything to a group situation. One on ones are getting harder too. Even medicated.
Old 10-01-19, 04:27 PM

Thanked 4,165 Times in 2,150 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

Yes, the larger the group the bigger the problem.

It's partly about too much stimulous for me. I found that the environment I was in made a huge difference in how comfortable I felt. A restaurant filled with tons of different background noises and lots to see (aka too much stimulous) is very different from a single, silent white walled room.

2-3 is my favorite number of people to talk with too. More than that and again theres too much going on. Less then that and I'm forced to talk.

I'm pretty introverted so it's usually an effort to socialize. Especially getting myself to go to social events. That's actually the most difficult part.
The Following User Says Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (10-01-19)
Old 10-02-19, 09:07 AM

Clavius78 is on a distinguished road

I'm 42 and I'm still having problems in groups. I've had them for all my life. One-on-one is fine. (So it's not shyness.) When another joins it becomes harder but manageable. From three people onward I become a spectator. I still don't exactly understand why. It's like my brain is busy with all sorts of things simultaneously. Things from my past, things I need to do, grocery lists, my work, my hobbies, my future, my wife, my daughter, and then with some spare room my brain processes the conversation. The more people join in the harder it gets to process everything with that bit of extra room. That's the best way I can describe it.

This problem vanishes when I'm medicated though. The stimulant forces me in the here and now, so I can join the conversation. I love how people noticed that change.
Old 10-02-19, 10:53 AM
ADDvanced Member

benito is on a distinguished road

The same thing for me. You have described it very well...
Old 10-02-19, 08:47 PM

Thanked 11,490 Times in 6,081 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

I suck in group settings I always end up the outcast somehow..or being pushed aside n ignored grrr
Old 10-03-19, 03:10 AM
ADDvanced Member

TheDreamer has a spectacular aura aboutTheDreamer has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelyell View Post
I suck in group settings I always end up the outcast somehow..or being pushed aside n ignored grrr
Same here really. I'm not someone people really enjoy talking to, not sure why. One-on-one can work, but if another person enter those two start talking and I'm left out. When in a group with an odd number of people, like walking to lunch with coworkers, people tend to partition 2 and 2 and I'm the one left.

Can't say I mind it too much, as I usually prefer to be in my own thoughts, but still a bit of an itch...
Rebelyell (10-03-19)
Old 10-03-19, 07:35 AM

Thanked 22,381 Times in 12,052 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

I;m not a grouper, either I'm in charge and won't let anyone squeeze a word in edgewise or I just let them pick on me until I explode in a torrent of words they don:t ubderstand.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
Rebelyell (10-03-19)
Old 10-03-19, 09:03 AM

Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know why because people who have gotten to know me are like crap your nothing like you are at work or I'm told I'm a fun loving or interesting person etc. I don't like it when people interrupt n talk over me I think it's very rude n disrespectful
Old 10-03-19, 10:33 AM

Thanked 4,165 Times in 2,150 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

Quote:
. I don't like it when people interrupt n talk over me I think it's very rude n disrespectful
You realize plenty of adhders cannot help but interrupt people when they talk. Sorry, you hit a sensitive topic here for me.

I've been yelled at for interrupting others and told the same thing. I still do it adter that cause i cant help it and then they get even angrier. But no, I wasn't intending to be rude or disrespectful. I actually find it disrespectful to be angry at me for a disability symptom.

I actually think most people don't mean to be rude or disrespectful when they do that. They probably don't even realize it. Like I said, pet peeve.
Old 10-11-19, 12:41 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,433 Times in 6,132 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on the group.

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 10-14-19, 04:01 PM

I'm done w groups of people time to go my own way..
The Following User Says Thank You to Rebelyell For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (10-15-19)
Old 10-15-19, 10:17 AM

Thanked 22,381 Times in 12,052 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm done w groups of people time to go my own way..
Yup. Ride a new bicycle.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969