ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Exercise and Nutrition > Nutrition
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-17, 12:21 PM

br3akingchains is on a distinguished road
Re: How I cured my ADD

Lunacie if I had to pick when modernization of food began I would say in the last 100 years. In the last century we weren’t just crossing specimens with favorable qualities, we began inducing mutations using radiation, chemicals known to induce mutagenesis, and also genetically modifying our foods.

I guess the food availability being out of ratio compared to the amount of effort and time elapsed (while in a fasted state to acquire said food ) to acquire said food has been out of whack since we settled down and started farming.

I understand Most diseases of the western diet have been around “forever” but the uptick in the percentage of people affected, I believe , is directly connected to overeating without periods of fasting and also due to how we’ve changed much of our food to be hyper processed
The Following User Says Thank You to br3akingchains For This Useful Post:
mctavish23 (12-20-17)
Old 12-20-17, 12:45 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 24,109 Times in 11,153 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by br3akingchains View Post
Lunacie if I had to pick when modernization of food began I would say in the last 100 years. In the last century we weren’t just crossing specimens with favorable qualities, we began inducing mutations using radiation, chemicals known to induce mutagenesis, and also genetically modifying our foods.

I guess the food availability being out of ratio compared to the amount of effort and time elapsed (while in a fasted state to acquire said food ) to acquire said food has been out of whack since we settled down and started farming.

I understand Most diseases of the western diet have been around “forever” but the uptick in the percentage of people affected, I believe , is directly connected to overeating without periods of fasting and also due to how we’ve changed much of our food to be hyper processed
Not being rude here but i disagree. I believe the increase in diagnosis has
more to do with better information and lots of research having been done.

I do agree that hyper-processed foods are not so healthy. On the other hand
we have more availability of veggies and fruit than were available 100 years
ago.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
br3akingchains (12-20-17), mctavish23 (12-20-17)
Old 12-20-17, 04:07 PM

Thanked 10,112 Times in 3,181 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation

For the record, ADHD is actually under diagnosed, especially in adults.

Good Luck.

mctavish23

(Robert)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mctavish23 For This Useful Post:
br3akingchains (12-20-17), Little Missy (12-20-17), Lunacie (12-20-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-17, 03:52 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,797 Times in 13,538 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by br3akingchains View Post
If a change in diet can’t be viewed as a cure for someone then what is there to be said for people who reverse type 2 diabetes with a change in diet, or people who reverse heart disease?
I was prediabetic and had gastric bypass which helped me to lose weight by sticking to a very specific eating plan and using it as a tool and not a solution. I wouldnt say its cured I guess because I was in the pre-stage. I stopped drinking and helped my liver, esophogus, stomach and other organs rebound but I wouldnt say I cured alcoholism.
Quote:
We’ve been led to believe it’s okay to eat high carb diets, that eating three times a Day is healthy (natural/normal), that going hungry or fasting is bad. What if all of that is wrong? What if to help our ailment one of the things we must do is eat more naturally (the way we ate through evolution) and eat less often (heck, even go hungry or fast every now and then).
Personally I dont do high carbs and the carbs I do are compex carbs. I eat 6 small amounts everyday.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 01-02-18, 06:36 PM
ADDvanced Member

Barbrady1 is on a distinguished road

Whilst I cannot refute a healthy diet and lifestyle is important to anyone's cognitive functioning, I do not believe there's a 'cure' for ADHD or similar disorders/conditions. You can certainly improve your life through diet, exercise, medication and education though. Though it is perhaps more important that we ADHDers make smarter lifestyle choices than the masses due to our particular impairments.

Incidentally, I tried the well publicised GAP diet for a while in 2015 but it didn't make any difference to me personally. But stimulants certainly help in clearing my rather debilitating 'brain fog', which presumably is symptomatic of one or both of my formal diagnoses - autism and combined-type ADHD.
Old 01-02-18, 07:19 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,934 Times in 2,880 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

ADHD can't be "cured". However, I genuinely believe that it can be managed very well with healthy lifestyle decisions, which if done correctly can absolutely blow medication away.

The challenge is sticking to those decisions and not allowing yourself to deviate from them for one moment. Which can be extremely difficult for anyone with ADHD.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
Barbrady1 (01-03-18)
Old 01-02-18, 09:04 PM
ADDvanced Member

allesandro1 will become famous soon enough

If you cured your ADD, you never actually had it in the first place.
The Following User Says Thank You to allesandro1 For This Useful Post:
Barbrady1 (01-03-18)