ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Dexedrine/Dextrostat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Dexedrine/Dextrostat (dextroamphetamine)

Old 04-16-19, 06:19 AM

lateadultadhd is on a distinguished road
What happens if you don't have ADHD and take dexamphetamine?

Hi everyone, I was recently diagnosed with ADHD at 27 and am concerned about taking medications. I originally went to see a professional as I thought I had depression but the more we talked, the more they were convinced I had ADHD, the inattentive kind.

I have since been prescribed dexamphetamine sulfate.
I am taking two tablets in the morning (10mg) and 1 tablet (5mg) after lunch. And to be honest, I feel great, my mind is relaxed, I am focused, I have less frequent mood swings when I get interrupted and for once in my life I drove without anxiety and felt in control. Now my question is, would I have felt these exact same effects if I didn't have ADHD? I am just a bit skeptical and am concerned about long term side effects if I didn't have it. But I can't deny how normal I felt when taking the medication.

Sorry for the rambling, hopefully I made sense.
The Following User Says Thank You to lateadultadhd For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (04-21-19)
Old 04-16-19, 08:02 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,991 Times in 15,295 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What happens if you don't have ADHD and take dexamphetamine?

In a sense you may experience euphoria or drive to pull an all nighter if you didnt have adhd but that is usually because medications like this are abused. Your theraputic dosing levels out after the first few days and "hums" in the backround.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 04-16-19, 06:14 PM

lateadultadhd is on a distinguished road

Can the sense of euphoria be achieved by such a small dose? 5-10mg ? That's pretty insane if so.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-19, 11:40 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,991 Times in 15,295 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateadultadhd View Post
Can the sense of euphoria be achieved by such a small dose? 5-10mg ? That's pretty insane if so.
I suppose in someone who hasnt ever taken it or doesnt take it a low dose would cause euphoria. And that is mainly because your body isnt used to it. Its very short lived though and you run into abuse territory because you will need higher amounts to achieve the same effect.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 04-18-19, 10:19 PM

Thanked 10,263 Times in 3,229 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation

U speed

U R Welcome
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mctavish23 For This Useful Post:
aeon (04-19-19), Little Missy (04-19-19)
Old 04-20-19, 08:08 PM
Contributor

Funky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to all

Your house becomes really clean, and your friends start avoiding you because they can't get a word in while conversing with you.
daveddd (04-20-19)
Old 04-21-19, 12:41 AM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 15,918 Times in 7,908 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know for sure...but it makes sense that it'd have the same sorts of effects on someone who doesn't have ADHD.
It's a stimulant and I think it would make just about anyone who takes it for the first time feel really good. Give them a bit of pep to their step...help them focus and feel more awake and alert.

I don't take dex...I'm on Adderall...though I think they're pretty similar?
When I found a dose that helped (took a couple months) I experienced some euphoria from it...I felt awesome! Life felt so much easier all the sudden!
It kinda scared me as I was afraid I was going to get addicted to it or something and try to chase that euphoria.
I told my pill lady about the euphoria and she said something along the lines about how I've lived my whole life in a fog...and now these meds are helping to clear up some of that fog...so of course I'm going to feel great!
She said it wasn't a bad thing. It was just a sign that the meds were helping.

...The euphoria did go away. I never did have a desire to chase it.
Though I no longer get that euphoria...my adderall does hit me pretty hard (in a good/pleasant way) still sometimes. It usually comes in the form of me feeling really calm, relaxed and appreciative of life and things in general. But this has lessened more and more as times has gone by. Been on adderall for about 4 years I think.

But...for me at least...my body has gotten use to the meds over time and I no longer notice a big shift after taking them. I do feel it still (adderall helps me feel more awake, calmer, less anxious and more capable of getting things done...I feel like a slug off of the meds)...but it's much less pronounced then it was when I first started the meds.

I'd say enjoy it. Don't be hard on yourself. You're not doing anything wrong...the meds are just doing what they're meant to do and you deserve this.

Welcome to the forums, and sorry for the huge reply!

(((Bro Hug)))

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.