ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Dexedrine/Dextrostat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Dexedrine/Dextrostat (dextroamphetamine)

Old 11-04-18, 02:38 PM
Jr Member

Discord1984 is on a distinguished road
Another tolerance question... please help!

I was diagnosed in 2012 and prescribed Dex. I took 20mg per day and this was later increased to 30mg per day and eventually 40mg. These amounts seemed to do the job and keep me on track with my studies. In 2014, I decided to cease the medication and try to manage symptoms med-free.

Early this year I started studying again and was really struggling so I decided to start Dex again. We started with 20mg per day. This did basically nothing. My doc reluctantly increased the dose to 30mg per day within a week or two. It still doesn't feel like it does much and it wears off really quickly. I once tried 60mg and finally felt like I was getting some relief.

What's the story? Does your body remember tolerance? Why was 40mg enough five years ago but now I need 60mg? I doubt my doctor would prescribe such a high amount and tbh I don't want to have to take that much.

These days I'm also on lithium and occasionally benzos for sleep. Would the interaction dull the effect of the dex? Grateful for any advice.
Old 11-04-18, 02:43 PM
Jr Member

Re: Another tolerance question... please help!

One more thing - my doc has just suggested switching over to extended release Ritalin as an alternative, as it might last longer and not have the same peaks and troughs. Would changing meds reset my tolerance?
Old 11-04-18, 05:25 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,103 Times in 2,225 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

Talk to your doctor. They're in the best place to know and find a solution.
Old 11-04-18, 08:28 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorose View Post
Talk to your doctor. They're in the best place to know and find a solution.
I am paranoid that talking about tolerance will make me sound like a drug seeker, looking for a high.
Old 11-05-18, 05:07 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,103 Times in 2,225 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discord1984 View Post
I am paranoid that talking about tolerance will make me sound like a drug seeker, looking for a high.
There are other things that make meds less effective like vitamin C and anything acidic. It's in the product information sheet online which I never saw until I'd been on it for a decade. There are other ways to manage his besides taking more like timing etc. I started on 20mg but that gave me a functioning window of 6am to 4pm. I got it increased to 30mg to allow for work once I was working later than 4pm.

A really long time ago I wrote a post called "realistic expectations of meds". Take a look and see if any of that helps.
Old 11-06-18, 01:06 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,633 Times in 15,114 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I do not know why 40 mg used to work and now you think 60mg is better but our bodies change. If it helps the daily recommended max for dex is 60mg per day. Ritalin is a completely different class of medication and it might not work for you the way dex does. I personally would print out something to support the 60mg and talk to the doctor. You do not need to take the whole 60 at once but you can break it up over the day. There is also dexedrine spansules which is a long acting form of dex. I used to take them and they worked.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 11-06-18, 04:15 PM

b3nault is on a distinguished road

I hope talking about tolerance doesn’t make the Dr. think a patient is a drug seeker?! I just had the genetic testing done for CYP2D6, which relates to metabolism of our medication. I’m in hopes that this test will shed some light as to why I seem to metabolize and gain a tolerance very fast. I guess all we can do is be honest with them.

Hope it works out for you!
Old 11-09-18, 05:59 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,633 Times in 15,114 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3nault View Post
I hope talking about tolerance doesnít make the Dr. think a patient is a drug seeker?! I just had the genetic testing done for CYP2D6, which relates to metabolism of our medication. Iím in hopes that this test will shed some light as to why I seem to metabolize and gain a tolerance very fast. I guess all we can do is be honest with them.

Hope it works out for you!
I hope talking about tolerance doesnt make a doctor think that either because that would be silly and unfair.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 11-21-18, 01:21 AM

PI_Squared is on a distinguished road

Interesting question, I think if you are genuinely seeking the therapeutic results and not just a buzz, a good physician will see this in the way you interact and speak to them. It's easy to forget, but doctors deal with actual drug seekers all the time, they have their own mental checklists and red flags that are there to protect themselves from malpractice, not to deny you treatment. Most of the doctors I have seen have been very happy to discuss issues relating to abuse and dependency with drugs like dex/benzos/opiates.

This is my experience, I like to think most physicians are smart enough to determine when a patient is genuinely just trying to seek an improved quality of life. As a healthcare worker, soon to be a Nurse, I do know that doctors like patients that try to educate themselves and be proactive with their health, but it also pays to not be too forceful about what you want them to prescribe you, even if you think it's what you need, they have experience and knowledge that comes with years of practice, so we need to be patient with them and respect their role, even if it means taking your time in slowly convincing them to let you increase a dose or frequency of a drug like Dex