ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Depression
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-20, 01:21 AM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 21,888 Times in 11,029 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Crisis / Suicide Prevention Hotline Experiences?

An acquaintance of mine from elsewhere recently shared that she had had a less-than-positive experience calling a suicide prevention hotline. She felt that the volunteers were inadequately trained and ultimately did more harm than good. (That said, she's still with us.)

For those of you who have used this type of hotline -- National Suicide Prevention Helpline, Samaritans, or other similar phone-based crisis intervention -- what was your experience like?

Was it helpful? Did it provide you with
a) immediate relief (or at least enough to keep you going) for the moment?
b) a plan to seek longer-term treatment, or ideas about how you might deal with your situation?
c) other benefits?

Where/how do you think this type of service could be improved?

When you have felt suicidal, what has been helpful in bringing you back from the brink? (Hotlines or otherwise...)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (03-01-20), Greyhound1 (02-01-20), midnightstar (02-01-20), stef (02-01-20), tudorose (05-08-20)
Old 02-01-20, 06:38 AM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 24,073 Times in 14,215 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Crisis / Suicide Prevention Hotline Experiences?

in my experience, samaritans rush you to make you get off of the phone quicker so they can go have a cup of tea
Ebony (1st January 2014 - 2nd March 2018)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
Willow (3rd November 2018 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to midnightstar For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (03-01-20), Greyhound1 (02-01-20), namazu (02-01-20)
Old 02-01-20, 03:02 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 21,888 Times in 11,029 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightstar View Post
in my experience, samaritans rush you to make you get off of the phone quicker so they can go have a cup of tea
That was something my other acquaintance mentioned, too -- feeling like the person on the other end of the line wasn't willing to spend enough time talking to them and just wanted to get them off the phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
midnightstar (02-01-20)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-20, 05:44 PM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 24,073 Times in 14,215 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post
That was something my other acquaintance mentioned, too -- feeling like the person on the other end of the line wasn't willing to spend enough time talking to them and just wanted to get them off the phone.

even in email they just repeat "we're here for you" and thats their response all the time no matter what the person talking to them says
Ebony (1st January 2014 - 2nd March 2018)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
Willow (3rd November 2018 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to midnightstar For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (03-01-20), namazu (02-01-20)
Old 02-01-20, 07:20 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 12,116 Times in 6,281 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

This is appalling to hear n read..just confims most people are 1 ignoramuses2 don't care and 3 that mental health issues n the people that have them aren't taken seriously and are treated as a sick joke...am I being funny hell no I'm not way I feel sadly
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rebelyell For This Useful Post:
midnightstar (02-01-20), namazu (02-04-20)
Old 02-04-20, 04:28 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,771 Times in 2,470 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

I rang Beyond Blue and was fobbed off and referred to a service that did not answer the phone. That service said you had to leave a message and they will call you. If you couldn't answer or talk coz you were at work they considered that case closed.

For the issue I was dealing with I had no idea what to do. I had to think hard about where to go and ended up going to a women's health clinic who referred me to a service to help and they have a hotline with actual qualified people who know how to help people in my situation. Plus I got 25 sessions of free therapy in the end.

As for beyond blue they don't help they just do a lot of advertising so they can get the finding but they don't deserve it.

I probably should have made a complaint but I was too much of a mess to be able to do it at the time.
20thcenturyfox (03-01-20), midnightstar (02-04-20), namazu (02-04-20)
Old 05-06-20, 09:12 PM
ADDvanced Member

kimical has a spectacular aura aboutkimical has a spectacular aura about

I've had great experiences and terrible ones. It really depends on who actually answers.

Rx: invega sustenna, abilify, lamictal, strattera
The Following User Says Thank You to kimical For This Useful Post:
namazu (05-06-20)