ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Misc Treatments and Approaches
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-10, 03:55 AM

black_cloud is on a distinguished road
Question Mixing supplements and ADD meds; safe/dangerous, effective/ineffective?

I'm currently taking Vyvanse and Wellbutrin daily with IR Dexedrine taken as needed (maybe once or twice a week) and Xanax taken as needed (maybe once a week). The Dexedrine is for when the effects of the Vyvanse are wearing off too early or for days when I need an extra "boost." The Xanax is for the panic attacks I'll experience on occasion.

In addition, I take Omega 3 fish oil capsules on a daily basis and 6mg of Melatonin at night to get to sleep.

Now, the current med combo I'm on is the most effective one I've been on in my 10+ years on and off medication since age 10 for depression, anxiety and ADD, but that doesn't mean there aren't still mental and physical issues that get in the way of every day life. I recently began seeing a dietitian who specializes in holistic medicine and she gave me a laundry list of supplements she thought could help and told me to go home and do some research on them. I've done the research on their emotional, mental and physical benefits but one thing I'm having trouble finding is how they'd interact with amphetamines...and that's something I figure is pretty important to know.

Here are the supplements she recommended I do some research on:
-Lecithin
-Piracetam
-SAM-e
-5-HTP
-Curcumin
-Zinc
-L-Arginine

The SAM-e and 5-HTP are for depression, the Piracetam for cognitive enhancement and the other 4 are for physical health reasons.

Does anyone here have any experience with mixing any of these with amphetamine medications? Even if not, any other info would be appreciated as well.

P.S. I've checked the "drug interactions" sites out there but they don't seem to have much info when it comes to herbal/natural supplements. One site listed no potential interactions between Vyvanse and St. John's Wort but then I googled it and found out that they can be a potentially lethal combination and are strongly recommended not to mix. I haven't found that same type of result for any of these 7 supplements but there doesn't appear to be a whole lot of info on their interactions out there.

P.P.S. I've asked both my pdoc and the dietitian about interactions between the supplements and the prescription meds and neither one seemed too concerned but then again they both didn't appear to have the greatest knowledge or regard for the opposing class of meds either, so I'm still uncertain.
Old 08-19-10, 06:07 PM
Contributor

mimi'sdreaming is just really nicemimi'sdreaming is just really nicemimi'sdreaming is just really nicemimi'sdreaming is just really nice
Re: Mixing supplements and ADD meds; safe/dangerous, effective/ineffective?

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_cloud View Post
I'm currently taking Vyvanse and Wellbutrin daily with IR Dexedrine taken as needed (maybe once or twice a week) and Xanax taken as needed (maybe once a week). The Dexedrine is for when the effects of the Vyvanse are wearing off too early or for days when I need an extra "boost." The Xanax is for the panic attacks I'll experience on occasion.

In addition, I take Omega 3 fish oil capsules on a daily basis and 6mg of Melatonin at night to get to sleep.

Now, the current med combo I'm on is the most effective one I've been on in my 10+ years on and off medication since age 10 for depression, anxiety and ADD, but that doesn't mean there aren't still mental and physical issues that get in the way of every day life. I recently began seeing a dietitian who specializes in holistic medicine and she gave me a laundry list of supplements she thought could help and told me to go home and do some research on them. I've done the research on their emotional, mental and physical benefits but one thing I'm having trouble finding is how they'd interact with amphetamines...and that's something I figure is pretty important to know.

Here are the supplements she recommended I do some research on:
-Lecithin
-Piracetam
-SAM-e
-5-HTP
-Curcumin
-Zinc
-L-Arginine

The SAM-e and 5-HTP are for depression, the Piracetam for cognitive enhancement and the other 4 are for physical health reasons.

Does anyone here have any experience with mixing any of these with amphetamine medications? Even if not, any other info would be appreciated as well.

P.S. I've checked the "drug interactions" sites out there but they don't seem to have much info when it comes to herbal/natural supplements. One site listed no potential interactions between Vyvanse and St. John's Wort but then I googled it and found out that they can be a potentially lethal combination and are strongly recommended not to mix. I haven't found that same type of result for any of these 7 supplements but there doesn't appear to be a whole lot of info on their interactions out there.

P.P.S. I've asked both my pdoc and the dietitian about interactions between the supplements and the prescription meds and neither one seemed too concerned but then again they both didn't appear to have the greatest knowledge or regard for the opposing class of meds either, so I'm still uncertain.
I too am very interested in this for my son. I would suggest you get a blood panel taken to see what minerals/vitamins you might be lacking in. That's what we're going to do for my son as soon as I get the nerve up to take him and have blood drawn.

I'm also doing a Neurotransmitter test as well.

ADD mom to a 7 year old with ADHD combined type.
We both have the privilege of adding "Anxiety" into the mix!
Old 08-19-10, 09:14 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 13,643 Times in 5,041 Posts
ADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond repute

As I recall, SAM-e, 5HTP and Wellbutrin do not get along well at all. Don't have a handy citation but I believe that the risk is serotonin syndrome.

Never forget. "Normal" is just a setting on the washing machine.
Do you really want to be a setting on the washing machine?
If you do, wouldn't you rather be the spin cycle?
The Following User Says Thank You to ADHDTigger For This Useful Post:
bookwurm2 (08-24-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-10, 10:04 PM

SpazCadet has a spectacular aura aboutSpazCadet has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_cloud View Post
P.S. I've checked the "drug interactions" sites out there but they don't seem to have much info when it comes to herbal/natural supplements. One site listed no potential interactions between Vyvanse and St. John's Wort but then I googled it and found out that they can be a potentially lethal combination and are strongly recommended not to mix.
Saint John's Wort is an inhibitor of, among other things, CYP2D6 and CYP3A4, two cytochromes that are involved in the metabolism of a huge array of prescription drugs. (Since dextroamphetamine, the active metabolite of Vyvanse, is broken down by CYP2D6, its inhibition could potentially cause a build-up of dextroamphetamine in your system.)

It is also thought that some portion of its mechanism of action is via inhibition of serotonin reuptake. (This could indicate a potential for serotonin syndrome.)

..I can't speak to the likelihood of either of these interactions, however.

"A mathematician is a scientist who can figure out anything, except such simple things as squaring the circle and trisecting an angle." ~ Evan Esar

"An ADHDer is a person who can understand anything, except such simple things as remembering to put on shoes and maintaining eye contact." ~ Me

“Move and the way will open.” ~ Zen Proverb

~~~~~~~~~~
The Following User Says Thank You to SpazCadet For This Useful Post:
bookwurm2 (08-24-10)
Old 08-29-10, 01:32 PM
ADDvanced Member

Layla771 has a spectacular aura aboutLayla771 has a spectacular aura about

Are you vegetarian or vegan? I'm asking cause vegetarians may lack zinc..
If you eat meat, consider eating it with vitamin C (lemon juice or tomatoes etc) because those may help it digest proper, if you aren't doing this already. This may increase amount of good vitamins and minerals..

Also, consider tracking your nutrition on fitday.com or Cronometer (free to use) at least for a while... You may see any deficiencies there.. Or as has been recommended, get tested if you can. (And compare those tests online, because some doctors and some countries have different scales.)

I think with lecithin it depends where it's taken from, mostly it's from soy, stay away from GMO (genetically modified) or conventionally grown soy (as it's sprayed with many chemicals..)

I am largely staying away from both meds and supplements, just in case.. (after some bad experience with supplements, others than those here though) MUCH better to get stuff with food!
Can you just research which foods these are in and make sure you have a balanced diet?

If you do add new things, consider adding just one by one.. if at all, and stop using if you feel funny..
Someone on OCD forums reported feeling great after 5-HTP I think, and then later she posted about suicidal ideations-? hmm.. not sure if she's taking anything else though

Have you done any CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) for depression and/or anxiety? Much better than just adding meds or supplements imo. There are some good books on Amazon on that too.. CBT can be VERY effective for depression!
Are you doing any exercise/walking/running or such? I feel soo much better after it, we know someone who cured her depression with walking after antidepressants didn't work..

Sorry I don't know much about interactions, I guess you can just google individual ones+problems/side effects or such..
The Following User Says Thank You to Layla771 For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (08-29-10)