ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-11, 08:31 PM
Jr Member

buknoy is on a distinguished road
ADD & addiction is alive and well in Tucson

Hello to everyone!

Almost everything I googled on ADHD, meds, and treatment has led me to this forum. Glad to be here.

I'm 42 and got diagnosed last year while going to grief counseling after the death of my daughter, a subsequent depression, addiction relapse, and termination from my job. My nursing license was nearly revoked because because of it all... And that gave me the motivation to get back into recovery after 13yrs clean and sober before the relapse. My drugs of choice are benzos and opiates.

My psych dr has me on 80mg adderall, 30 mg remeron for mood. 60mg would actually keep me up for 24hrs so I've adjusted to around 35mg adderall a day. It used to be Vyvanse 60

I really wished I could've gotten diagnosed sooner as I'm certain life would have been much better. Just like Biedermans research shows, untreated ADD manifests as addiction into adulthood in addition to criminal behavior and a host of negative outcomes. The ADD diagnosis certainly explains a lot about my behavior & personality: my love for anything that breeds excitement. Gambling, driving fast, toxic relationships, and all kinds of risk-taking behaviors. In school I loved the "feeling" of ditching class more than the reason for ditching. (not to mention also that I couldn't really concentrate longer than a couple of minutes which made school quite boring unless the subject was one I was interested in) . And procrastination behaviors, too. Now i realize why my performance level goes up when under pressure. Can anyone relate?

I am like a new person since I started the meds. Prior to then, my mood was dysphoric and depressive most of the time. I thought of it as a serious character defect...my apathy, lack of curiosity, and motivation. Prior to the ADD dx, I dabbled with every tricyclic, ssri, and whatever I could find to elevate my mood. No wonder I found 450 of Wellbutrin worked the best, it's a dopamine agonist, though not enough to help the ADD.

Hope I can at least help others in the forum as much as I've been helped.

Thanks.

Marshall
The Following User Says Thank You to buknoy For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (11-19-12)
Old 11-18-11, 10:11 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 12,146 Times in 7,190 Posts
BR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ADD & addiction is alive and well in Tucson

Welcome to the forums!!!!

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I know that you will find the forums supportive.

"no talk
no, talk
Punctuation is important"
~Abi
Old 11-19-11, 04:28 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,289 Times in 1,189 Posts
buddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant future

Hello Marshall & welcome to the forums!I am so sorry for your loss.I know you will find lots of support here.Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-12, 10:35 PM

ColimaDog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by buknoy View Post
Hello to everyone!

Almost everything I googled on ADHD, meds, and treatment has led me to this forum. Glad to be here.

I'm 42 and got diagnosed last year while going to grief counseling after the death of my daughter, a subsequent depression, addiction relapse, and termination from my job. My nursing license was nearly revoked because because of it all... And that gave me the motivation to get back into recovery after 13yrs clean and sober before the relapse. My drugs of choice are benzos and opiates.

My psych dr has me on 80mg adderall, 30 mg remeron for mood. 60mg would actually keep me up for 24hrs so I've adjusted to around 35mg adderall a day. It used to be Vyvanse 60

I really wished I could've gotten diagnosed sooner as I'm certain life would have been much better. Just like Biedermans research shows, untreated ADD manifests as addiction into adulthood in addition to criminal behavior and a host of negative outcomes. The ADD diagnosis certainly explains a lot about my behavior & personality: my love for anything that breeds excitement. Gambling, driving fast, toxic relationships, and all kinds of risk-taking behaviors. In school I loved the "feeling" of ditching class more than the reason for ditching. (not to mention also that I couldn't really concentrate longer than a couple of minutes which made school quite boring unless the subject was one I was interested in) . And procrastination behaviors, too. Now i realize why my performance level goes up when under pressure. Can anyone relate?

I am like a new person since I started the meds. Prior to then, my mood was dysphoric and depressive most of the time. I thought of it as a serious character defect...my apathy, lack of curiosity, and motivation. Prior to the ADD dx, I dabbled with every tricyclic, ssri, and whatever I could find to elevate my mood. No wonder I found 450 of Wellbutrin worked the best, it's a dopamine agonist, though not enough to help the ADD.

Hope I can at least help others in the forum as much as I've been helped.

Thanks.

Marshall
It looks like you are in Tucson, Arizona as well. What doctor do you see here? I cannot find a doctor anywhere in this town!
Old 11-19-12, 07:20 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,817 Times in 13,551 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Lo siento ....

I carried a watermelon?