ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-12, 01:04 PM

Catdog is a splendid one to beholdCatdog is a splendid one to beholdCatdog is a splendid one to beholdCatdog is a splendid one to beholdCatdog is a splendid one to beholdCatdog is a splendid one to beholdCatdog is a splendid one to behold
Internal Restlessness and Hyperactivity

Greetings!

I'm still an ADHD newb, so I was wondering if you more experienced folks could help me with a question I have concerning ADHD-PI/SCT.

I've always figured that I am not the least bit "hyperactive," but I've discovered hyperactivity doesn't always manifest in the stereotypical way (climbing the walls, ect.).

I've always suffered from an "internal restlessness," meaning that I'm easily bored, eternally daydreaming, and always in search of mental stimulation. For example, I find things like reading and/or writing about topics I find interesting and playing videogames "stimulating," which is probably because they both require a certain amount of mental interaction. In contrast, sitting through movies/television shows is too passive, and I usually have to watch a movie three times before I actually "get it" because I'm either surfing the net while watching, or stimming/engaging in stereotypies, meaning I only catch bits and pieces of the plot. While on the internet, I typically have three or four tabs open.

Additionally, I zone-out. A lot. It's become a running joke at work that my co-workers often have to say my name three or four times before I'll hear them, and that they have to make sure they have my attention before they start talking since, if they just walk up to my desk and start gabbing, I may not be aware that they're even in the room. I get so focused on what I'm doing that I completely loose track of whatever else is going on. I won't hear or see anything but the task in front of me.

These are just a few examples, but I've always suffered from "bored brain." It makes me feel bad that I get bored so easily, especially at redundant, repetitious tasks. Ive been accused of being a snob who thinks they're "too good" for the common monkey work that most jobs involve.

QUESTION: would this count as a form of "hyperactivity?"

Thanks in advance!

If all cats have Asperger's, and all dogs have ADHD, I'm a catdog.

The Following User Says Thank You to Catdog For This Useful Post:
speculative (01-04-13)
Old 12-30-12, 02:15 PM

BetweenTheLines is a jewel in the roughBetweenTheLines is a jewel in the roughBetweenTheLines is a jewel in the rough
Re: Internal Restlessness and Hyperactivity

haha your basically explaining my life prior to getting on adhd meds. are you not on meds? are they not working? may be time for a dosage up.

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.”
― Carl Sagan
Old 12-30-12, 02:19 PM

BetweenTheLines is a jewel in the roughBetweenTheLines is a jewel in the roughBetweenTheLines is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catdog View Post

QUESTION: would this count as a form of "hyperactivity?"

forgot to answer your question, but before i do, the question you should be asking is "is this adhd? yup. through and through.

as for the hyperactivity, yes it is. i have never been the type of person to climb the walls or run around, but i have always had was the inability to focus on one thing, so id do many things at once, watch a movie play a video game, and talk to friends online. basically i HAD to do all of these things and other things aswell to keep myself from getting anxious/restless

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.”
― Carl Sagan
The Following User Says Thank You to BetweenTheLines For This Useful Post:
Catdog (12-30-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-12, 07:59 PM

Catdog is a splendid one to beholdCatdog is a splendid one to beholdCatdog is a splendid one to beholdCatdog is a splendid one to beholdCatdog is a splendid one to beholdCatdog is a splendid one to beholdCatdog is a splendid one to behold

I've been diagnosed as ADHD-PI with Asperger's. I'm currently taking 25mg of Prozac, 18mg of Concerta, and 1mg of Risperidone.

Thank you very much for your reply.

I'm asking because, while I've done quit a bit of research on Asperger's these past three years, they only recently added the ADHD-PI. At first, I was confused as I've always done well in school and can concentrate on things that aren't mind-numbingly boring, but, as I delve deeper, I'm finding out ADHD is much more complex. I'm attempting to gain a better understanding of the disorder from the inside out (I'm an inductive learner) from people with more experience.

My current shrink doesn't want to up the Concerta dosage as it has caused insomnia and an increase in repetitive behavior and motor stereotypies.

BTW, I'm currently typing this and watching "The Brain that Wouldn't Die."

If all cats have Asperger's, and all dogs have ADHD, I'm a catdog.

Old 12-30-12, 11:26 PM
Forum Guru

SpaceBaby has a spectacular aura aboutSpaceBaby has a spectacular aura about

My hyperactivity is mostly limited to fidgeting, doing things in a rush, and a feeling of extreme restlessness, anxiousness, suspense, impatience, etc... like I'm about to bounce up to the ceiling until I get what I'm waiting for.

My mind tends to bombard itself with many little "project" ideas that revolve around the internet (such as blogging or creating youtube playlists), which then are often interrupted by other responsibilities I have to attend to such as college and doctor appointments. When I walk in the street, I tend to speed past people as if walking were a waste of my time. I also rush when eating meals as well as if I had so much better things to be doing. I'm always in a rush...

Last edited by SpaceBaby; 12-30-12 at 11:42 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to SpaceBaby For This Useful Post:
Catdog (12-31-12)
Old 01-04-13, 03:56 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

mirandatoritess has disabled reputation

Hyperactivity is different in adults. For me it was it was being restless and excitable(very). There was also impulsivity.
"Heaven has no free wi-fi? Screw this I’m going to hell"
"How do you know hell has wifi?"
"Satan owes me several favors"

Its a beautiful day....... I think I will skip my meds and stir things up a bit"
Old 01-04-13, 08:20 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,771 Times in 2,055 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirandatoritess View Post
Hyperactivity is different in adults.
I wish!!!

I'm one of those climbing people. I'm 37. I'm still crazy.
Old 01-04-13, 08:52 AM
Contributor

Azoox is a jewel in the roughAzoox is a jewel in the roughAzoox is a jewel in the rough

The best way to describe how I'm always feeling is playing catch-up. It's as if I were too late for everything, essentially for my life. This creates a lot of tension and anxiety in me. Not only that but I also find it very difficult to enjoy the process because the process is always frustrating. Such a terrible vicious cycle! I wish I could get out of it one day.

The Following User Says Thank You to Azoox For This Useful Post:
speculative (01-04-13)