ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

View Poll Results: What's Your Preferred Adderall IR Generic?
Sandoz 85 28.81%
Barr 103 34.92%
CorePharma 29 9.83%
Original Name Brand (Shire) 23 7.80%
"New" Name Brand (Teva) 22 7.46%
No preference- all the same to me 48 16.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 295. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-12-10, 03:10 PM
Contributor

pembliss is just really nicepembliss is just really nicepembliss is just really nicepembliss is just really nice
The All-in-one-location Generic IR "experiences" thread

I thought it would be useful to have one spot where people share their experiences with the various generic IR tablets.

So many people get switched by their pharmacy and they come here with questions about the various generics and the various side effects they're experiencing.

It can be not only frustrating, but SCARY. So having a resource for people to explore in such cases might be helpful.

Please note that this thread is not intended to scare anyone or to influence anyone's perceptions of their current medication. Everyone has a different preference and experiences with generics vary widely.

I just thought if someone gets switched to, say, CorePharma and is having new side effects (e.g. heart rate issues, anxiety, etc.) they could come here to see if anyone else has had this problem with CorePharma in particular.

Another example would be Sandoz and dosage issues. Lots of people have to increase their dose when they switch to Sandoz. So someone visiting this thread would get a sense of what to expect...

I realize most people on this forum prefer Sandoz, some prefer Barr and a few prefer CorePharma. Everyone is welcome to post their experiences here. This is a "no-judgement-on-your-preference" thread. It's meant to be purely informational.

Please post both positive and negative experiences.

If you've tried them all and you didn't see any difference between them, please post that- that's useful information too!!

I'll make the first post with my own experience.... (But it may take me a while to get to it... so feel free to start posting without me)
My strategy for managing my emotions is to just continue tamping them down deeper into the glowing ball of white-hot rage at the center of my soul until one day.... SNAP! But until that day, eeeeeeeeeeeverything's fine.

If I seem normal to you, it's only because my undisciplined impulsivity is being counter-balanced by my crippling self-doubt.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to pembliss For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (04-12-10), Eaaqas (08-27-14), fastgreen (12-22-11), Fishstix (04-12-10), fropunka (07-16-10), jmcrookski (06-18-10), judayxlo (09-26-11), meisam317 (05-14-11), O'Doyle (04-12-10), Oasis77 (02-26-11), psychopathetic (01-20-14), rubintan4you (01-16-13), starry (12-24-12), tambourine-man (09-09-11), Tortee (10-04-14)
Old 04-12-10, 03:52 PM
Contributor

pembliss is just really nicepembliss is just really nicepembliss is just really nicepembliss is just really nice
Re: The All-in-one-location Generic IR "experiences" thread

Ok. Here's mine:

I was on Barr generic for over a year. I didn't even know that there were different generics or that there would be a difference between them.

Then in January my pharmacy switched to CorePharma. The tablets looked different, so I googled it and found out there were three generic versions of Adderall IR.

No big deal. But then I realized that something was off. It wasn't working the way I was used to it working, and so I called my doctor who said I could increase my dose (from 10mg to 15mg) to make up for the difference.

I started having some side effects, though, especially the next month when my doctor increased the tablet strength to account for the higher dose (still CorePharma). I had a very "strong" heart beat that I could feel all over my body. I also had increased anxiety.

It seemed strange that the two tablets would be different (from the same manufacturer) but it was what it was.

Frankly, I thought I was going NUTS. So I did a TON of research and found that lots of people had different problems with different generics (and not just with ADHD medications, but with stuff like Wellbutrin, Synthroid, etc.).

Luckily my doctor was familiar with all of this, so she agreed to let me come in early and get a new prescription so that I could try Sandoz (I had heard most people prefer that).

She prescribed 2 weeks worth so that I wouldn't be stuck with it too long.

I called around and found a small, independent pharmacy that carried Sandoz.

On Sandoz, I had to stay at the increased dose. It was "smooth" but, for me, very "weak"- even at the higher 15mg dose- and I continued to have some side effects (increased heart rate, etc.)

I didn't want to be on a higher dose than necessary and I wasn't enjoying the negative side effects. So the next time I got a prescription, I went out to find Barr again.

Luckily (again) the new pharmacy I switched to was willing to order Barr for me.

So, now I'm back on Barr and things are fine.

I don't know why the others gave me problems. My doctor and I have a theory that it might be due to the fact that Barr is the only one that doesn't contain lactose (I'm lactose intolerant)... but who knows!!

So that's my experience...

By the way, you can request a specific generic from your pharmacist. They CAN special order it if they don't have it, but often the bigger pharmacies (like Walgreens) WON'T do so. Smaller pharmacies are more likely to order things for you. Depending on the pharmacist, you might get some weird looks and some (Walgreens in my experience) will give you a really hard time about it. But you do have the right to find the generic that will work for you.

I have my doctor write my prescriptions out specifically for Barr and that helps.

Also, once you know which generic you prefer, it's good to have the NDC # (national drug code number), since that is a more precise way to make sure you're getting the right generic. This number should stay the same even if another company buys out your favorite manufacturer (E.g. Sandoz bought EON Labs, but the NDC# of the Eon/Sandoz generic remains the same. Teva bought Barr, but the NDC# of the Barr generic remains the same...)
My strategy for managing my emotions is to just continue tamping them down deeper into the glowing ball of white-hot rage at the center of my soul until one day.... SNAP! But until that day, eeeeeeeeeeeverything's fine.

If I seem normal to you, it's only because my undisciplined impulsivity is being counter-balanced by my crippling self-doubt.
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to pembliss For This Useful Post:
7eeing7evens (12-04-12), Add-funk (07-05-14), ADHDTigger (04-12-10), ariwara (12-12-12), judayxlo (09-26-11), krb388 (04-19-10), ladyjayne81 (08-11-10), livewire (03-16-11), mentalfloss (08-25-11), Missi (09-14-10), Momofadder (04-12-10), O'Doyle (04-14-10), Oasis77 (02-26-11), Spence's Mom (05-05-10), starry (12-24-12), StarStuff (11-08-10), suckabiscuit (03-31-11), theburr (12-05-10)
Old 04-12-10, 05:44 PM

Fishstix is on a distinguished road

This is a good idea, I look forward to hearing about everyone's experiences. I also had no idea there were so many different generics until I began browsing this forum after my diagnosis. It's a bit scary, but I'm glad that I know now. I'm sure its very stressful for someone if suddenly their meds stop working and they don't know why. Knowledge of this is invaluable.

Currently I'm on Barr and aside from a slightly itchy patch on my chest and slight but tolerable nausea, I'm pretty happy with the help that its giving me. I'm hoping those side-effects will subside with time though I'm also lactose-intolerant so lucking out with getting the Barr the first time is definitely nice. I wonder if I would have the same problems with the others as you did since I share the lactose-intolerance. Hm..

But if it ain't broke don't fix it, so Ill definitely be keeping a close eye on who my manufacturer is when I get my refills. So thanks for this!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fishstix For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (04-12-10), pembliss (04-12-10), Spence's Mom (05-05-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-10, 10:36 PM

BrandNewDay is on a distinguished road

Pembliss, great idea for this thread. Thank you! If people don't want to re-write their experiences, maybe if they can just cut and paste their prior threads to have all this great generic information aggregated in one topic.

Is Barr generic exactly the same as Teva?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BrandNewDay For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (04-12-10), pembliss (04-12-10)
Old 04-12-10, 10:49 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandNewDay View Post
Is Barr generic exactly the same as Teva?
It looks that way. The label for the "Barr" generic actually says "Teva" (Barr isn't printed anywhere on the label anymore).

(for more info see the The Official Adderall IR Generics Information Thread)

The Following User Says Thank You to pembliss For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (04-12-10)
Old 04-12-10, 11:29 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 13,642 Times in 5,040 Posts
ADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond repute

MODERATOR NOTE

This should become a real clearing-house for information about specific generics and how you respond to them. This is also a place where you can request direction about how to find the right generic for you.

I considered bringing all of the older threads on this topic into this one but chose to not do that because we would lose current information that way.

NO JUDGEMENT HERE

If you do well with any specific generic, please tell us. But DO NOT backlash at someone who is doing well on a generic that didn't work for you. That is not acceptable.

This has the potential to be a great resource for those looking for a solution to their current generic.

Never forget. "Normal" is just a setting on the washing machine.
Do you really want to be a setting on the washing machine?
If you do, wouldn't you rather be the spin cycle?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ADHDTigger For This Useful Post:
mentalfloss (08-25-11), pembliss (04-12-10), psychopathetic (01-20-14)
Old 04-13-10, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pembliss View Post
It looks that way. The label for the "Barr" generic actually says "Teva" (Barr isn't printed anywhere on the label anymore).
You mean on the bottle? My prescription says Barr on the bottle. I get my prescription filled at Publix if that helps. But I'm glad I know this now. So no need to panic if my next refill says Teva? I thought I was clear on the whole generic brand thing. Always something to learn!
Old 04-13-10, 09:57 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishstix View Post
You mean on the bottle? My prescription says Barr on the bottle. I get my prescription filled at Publix if that helps. But I'm glad I know this now. So no need to panic if my next refill says Teva? I thought I was clear on the whole generic brand thing. Always something to learn!

Not on your bottle, on the pharmacist's bottle that he gets from his supplier.

My bottle says Barr, but the pharmacist's bottle says Teva (and when I get Sandoz, my bottle still says Eon, even though his says Sandoz). Mine looks the same as it always has, but his now looks like this:

I guess what your bottle says (Barr or Teva/ Eon or Sandoz) has to do with the computer system and how it associates a name with an NDC #.

It takes time, I guess, for various databases to catch up with all the mergers and stuff.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pembliss For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (04-13-10), Saxman7 (03-13-11)
Old 04-13-10, 11:07 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishstix View Post
So no need to panic if my next refill says Teva? I thought I was clear on the whole generic brand thing. Always something to learn!
By the way, this thread is a place to post ANY NEW information.

So if your next refil says "Teva" PLEASE come here to post whether or not it is the same tablet as before!

I believe it would be.

But if it is not please LET US KNOW- post the imprint, NDC# (from your bottle label) and if you can get a photo that'd be great too.

I definitely want all of the information here to be as accurate as possible!! So if there are errors... I want to be sure to fix them.

ADHDTigger (04-13-10)
Old 04-14-10, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Not on your bottle, on the pharmacist's bottle that he gets from his supplier.

My bottle says Barr, but the pharmacist's bottle says Teva (and when I get Sandoz, my bottle still says Eon, even though his says Sandoz). Mine looks the same as it always has, but his now looks like this:

I guess what your bottle says (Barr or Teva/ Eon or Sandoz) has to do with the computer system and how it associates a name with an NDC #.

It takes time, I guess, for various databases to catch up with all the mergers and stuff.

Ahhh, gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 04-14-10, 12:31 AM

Quote:
By the way, this thread is a place to post ANY NEW information.

So if your next refil says "Teva" PLEASE come here to post whether or not it is the same tablet as before!

I believe it would be.

But if it is not please LET US KNOW- post the imprint, NDC# (from your bottle label) and if you can get a photo that'd be great too.

I definitely want all of the information here to be as accurate as possible!! So if there are errors... I want to be sure to fix them.

I most certainly will! I'm hoping that won't have to be the case, though. Took a few days but on my meds today I did absolutely AMAZING. If they screw me up so soon I'm gonna have to cause a scene.
Old 04-14-10, 12:21 PM

MsProcrastinate will become famous soon enough

I've been taking Barr since July, until February. Barr was fine, the one labeled Teva seemed to be exactly the same. Both of the other two caused problems. Whichever one was a flat, round tablet... it was less effective and made me feel jumpy, along with causing confusion. This was my most recent rx. I wasn't able to fall asleep the first night. I heard music that wasn't playing, on and off. After about a week, I fought another round of insomnia, this one lasting 3 days. After 70 hours awake I had what seemed like an auditory hallucination. At the time it seemed real, clear, detailed, reasonable and extensive. I fell asleep "listening" to it. I woke up after a mere 6 hours and disposed of the pills. Now I've been unwilling to take anything for the past six weeks or so. My new doctor doesn't believe the pills caused this, but the lack of sleep. I've always slept well on barr adderall. So directly or indirectly, this experience was caused from those flat generic adderall.
pembliss (04-14-10), Spence's Mom (05-05-10)
Old 04-14-10, 10:51 PM
ADDvanced Member

O'Doyle is just really niceO'Doyle is just really niceO'Doyle is just really niceO'Doyle is just really nice

2 years ago I had an Rx for 30mg IR tid/qid as needed (student)—Meijer pharmacy gave me Barr...

...what a HORRIBLE ride that was. Holy crap. All the jitters, cold sweats, palpitations, etc. Plus, it made me horribly manic, especially mouth. I would say pretty much whatever came to my mind, no matter how rude I came across. What a train-wreck.

Just to cap it off, the Barr tabs made me feel like a damn junkie. I *craved* my next dose—to the point of getting itchy when I didn't get it in fast enough. NO THANKS, BARR!

I always assumed it was the Adderall itself, until 2 years later (now) Ritalin began to lose effectiveness even at high doses. Perusing this board got me thinking about giving Sandoz IR a try.

Lo and behold! It's a *completely* different experience. No junkie tendencies, no sweating, no palpitations, no insane NEED to spout whatever comes to mind, etc. Smooth sailing—with one issue:

I can't pee when I take my full dose, lol. Too much norepinephrine released by the Sandoz tabs, apparently. I can handle 15mg tid with no problems, and even 22.5 won't stop me completely emptying my bladder, but 30mg tid...

...no pee. Just dribbles, aching, & a lot of frustration. 800mg Ibuprofen, a fistful of Xanax, and a hot bath is about all I can do to pee again until the Adderall wears off.

I think it might be a titration issue, though, so I'm working my way back up to 30mg tid—SLOWLY.

ADHDTigger (04-15-10)
Old 04-16-10, 07:28 PM
Contributor

krb388 is a jewel in the roughkrb388 is a jewel in the roughkrb388 is a jewel in the rough

I had posted this in the wrong forum.

This month my refill was called AMPHETAMINE SALTS 30 MG TABSAN

Normally my adderall makes me stay focused and I can consentrate perfctly. With this new refill I feel tired spacey. I forget what im doing or what im looking for. I feel worn and just plain tired. I can't even think while im writing this. I do have a rapid heart beat I guess thats the only thing telling my unmotivated and tired self that i took my medication today.

I litterally feel like I have the flu and I can't stop daydreaming. Did something change in this medication IMPRINT E 404. Why does my pills say E 404 and the bottle say TABSAN I have been on adderall for 3 years and I have never felt this way or see this brand. I got it filled April 1, 2010 Is something new?

Old 04-16-10, 08:24 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by krb388 View Post
I had posted this in the wrong forum.

This month my refill was called AMPHETAMINE SALTS 30 MG TABSAN

Normally my adderall makes me stay focused and I can consentrate perfctly. With this new refill I feel tired spacey. I forget what im doing or what im looking for. I feel worn and just plain tired. I can't even think while im writing this. I do have a rapid heart beat I guess thats the only thing telling my unmotivated and tired self that i took my medication today.

I litterally feel like I have the flu and I can't stop daydreaming. Did something change in this medication IMPRINT E 404. Why does my pills say E 404 and the bottle say TABSAN I have been on adderall for 3 years and I have never felt this way or see this brand. I got it filled April 1, 2010 Is something new?

From your comments in another forum, I take it you were on Barr and switched to Sandoz. Although a lot of people do prefer Sandoz, many (including those who like it) agree that it is "weaker" or "smoother" than Barr or CorePharma. So if you are new to Sandoz and you find it's not managing your symptoms, that might be why.

Many people increase their dose once they switch to Sandoz. If that isn't something you're interested in doing, you can always find a pharmacy that carries another generic. You can call around to different pharmacies and find one that can has the generic you need.

Spence's Mom (05-05-10)