ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 04-05-13, 11:25 PM
Jr Member

boopdeedoop is on a distinguished road
the lie behind "creative" jobs for ADHDers

It's great to have ADHD from what I can see. Every article, every post I see there is a list of all these jobs that a multitasking hyperactive ADHDers can go into. And they love listing all "creative" jobs that we're suppose to be good at. But they fail to mention that these "creative" jobs are good for ADHDers not ADDers.

I'm an ADDer.

What about those of us who are not hyperactive and can't multi-task and not constantly on the go?

I'm 35 and I'm still going around in circles trying to find a job that fits me. I have a bachelors in film/tv and people love saying that "creative" jobs are great for us... It didn't work for me.

"creative" jobs would work for me if I was in management. But no one graduates film school and goes into executive producing/management positions.

The "creative" positions that are available are just fancy titles for secretarial jobs an ADDers nightmare:

Examples:

tasks include breaking down scripts, coordinating shoots, ADing (which is all about organization/time management), coordinating schedules, ordering long list of equipments, budgeting shoots, SAG paperwork (with tons of rules), Other union paperwork, & research and lots and lots of TEAMWORK (Most ADDers lack social skills)

Even editing (video editing) is about organizing clips from endless amounts of video tapes (raw footage that needs to be organized and sub categorized etc etc etc... )

and if you're doing something like writing a script ADDers tend to miss words (cuz our brains work faster than the average brain, so we skip words). and this falls under the category of "attention to detail" which is a MAJOR problem for both hyperactives and inattentives.

So all this 'creative jobs are great for ADDers' is a lot of bull. Creative jobs are good for ADHDers, let's make it clear which population of people we're talking about.

Now I wish someone would come up with a list of careers for the rest of us.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to boopdeedoop For This Useful Post:
aylaah (04-11-13), Fuzzy12 (04-11-13), Retromancer (04-06-13), Spacemaster (04-11-13), ToneTone (04-26-13)
Old 04-06-13, 12:54 AM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,952 Times in 9,009 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute
Re: the lie behind "creative" jobs for ADHDers

You are an ADHDer. Because there are no ADDers anymore. But I know what you mean.

I believe they refer to real creative jobs, such as actor, musician, painter, and so on. Not admin jobs in a creative-type business, which - you're right, they're just admin jobs.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
doiadhd (04-25-13), Lunacie (04-06-13), Wisefolly (05-03-13)
Old 04-06-13, 04:36 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,910 Times in 7,988 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

I'm hyperactive, I couldn't do all those things. Time to let go of the lies that those of us wiith hyperactivity accomplish more.... it's all hype to sell "we can show you how"
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
ADD me (05-02-13), APSJ (04-12-13), doiadhd (04-25-13), Flory (04-25-13), Lunacie (04-06-13), namazu (04-06-13), Raye (04-06-13), sarahsweets (04-06-13), ToneTone (08-10-13)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-13, 06:54 AM

Thanked 2,996 Times in 1,531 Posts
SquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond repute

itīs just not true that people with aDHD are more creative and are suited to creative jobs.

ADHD does mean that you are good at certain jobs. It means that you can find jobs were you lack motiviation, very difficult to sustain.

ADHD people can excel when they are motivated, and motivation for each individual will mean completely different things. So you need to work out what makes you "buzz".

I was lucky to have a great job for 20 years. I had to work on sometimes very long documents, completely rearranging them, or typing 100 page plus ones from scratch. Not very exciting I know. The buzz came from having ridiculously short deadlines and having to have 100% accurate work. My boss thought I was brilliant (another incentive for me to excel as I never wanted him to find out the truth about me).

The buzz came from million pound deals on the brink of collapse unless we could produce all the docs. It was fast paced and hectic, loads of smoking, coffee and alcohol. It was great. My boss tried to give me organising tasks to do. I always told him my time was too valuable for those things and I delegated them to someone else. So I was adept at avoiding those tasks that threw me into panic. I couldnīt even book a lunch appointment properly!

I could multitask brilliantly at that job, I could stop and queue a task. I was like an octopus, but only when things were frantic. After a deal, or if my boss wasnīt there, I could barely type a paragraph without mistakes and never wanted to work. I would walk around the office annoying people.

I need a job with closed end tasks, I need to be assigned specific tasks and given exact instructions. (but my boss always allowed me to use my initiative and make any changes I felt were needed). I canīt do "vague" at all. I canīt do "do what you think is best".

Hope you find something soon.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SquarePeg For This Useful Post:
APSJ (04-12-13), Bazinga (04-11-13), caughtredheaded (08-09-13), namazu (04-06-13), salleh (04-06-13)
Old 04-06-13, 10:18 AM
Jr Member

@dvdnvwls
You are 100 percent correct. I'm actually very good at acting. I have been forced into acting because of casting issues on my own projects. I'm actually a very good actress, but who in the world makes a real living out of acting? acting is another 'dreamers' job.
I decided a few months ago that I was going to do it just to kill my creativity anx. I really need an outlet for it, and acting is a good choice. But again, for most... it can only be a HOBBY.

And I absolutely love love love love music too, but I can't sing/write music/write lyrics... When I was little I wanted to be a singer (My mom was an opera singer) Then when Mariah Carey came along I realized what REAL singing was and I dropped that idea really quickly... LMAO
Old 04-06-13, 10:22 AM
Jr Member

PS: thank you all for responding xx
Old 04-06-13, 10:30 AM

Thanked 6,302 Times in 3,471 Posts
silivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond repute

I'd pull my hair out in an admin job... I get bored really really easily.

The only field I've found that I really thrive in is in a veterinary clinic... it's the perfect mix of calmness from all the critters and motivation (because, hello, it's a clinic).

Plus, I prefer animal company to human. But that's not really ADHD related

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 04-06-13, 10:40 AM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,952 Times in 9,009 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquarePeg View Post
itīs just not true that people with aDHD are more creative and are suited to creative jobs.
Not in general as a group, no. There are some who are, though - it needs to be the right job for the right person, or the right person for the right job, just as with anyone else.

One main problem for us is, getting the wrong job can mean "I just got fired again", instead of only "I'm bored" or "My boss is a pig" like happens to a lot of other people.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
namazu (04-06-13), SquarePeg (04-13-13)
Old 04-06-13, 12:41 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdnvwls View Post
One main problem for us is, getting the wrong job can mean "I just got fired again", instead of only "I'm bored" or "My boss is a pig" like happens to a lot of other people.
EXACTLY! for an ADHDer it's "oh I'm so bored bla bla bla"

and for us ADDers it's like okay we just got fired, about to get fired, about to get fired so we quit early. I prefer to be bored and have a job so I can finally liberate myself from depending on other people! BRING THE BOREDOM, IT'S FINE BY ME. JUST LET ME FIND A DECENT NORMAL JOB I CAN FINALLY KEEP
Old 04-06-13, 01:55 PM

Thanked 8,346 Times in 3,313 Posts
salleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond repute

just about everything I have done in the last 40 years has been creative as all get out ....design and make costumes for a vaudeville and melodrama theater, own an antique shop where I re-did a lot of the furniture, photographer, etc....and even the ones I wasn't all that creative, had that aspect, plus you had to be quick on your feet, and demanded every single second of your attention .....short order cook, and sub k through 6th grade ....

....my problem was that i never made an actual living with any of them ,....except the antique shop ....and that closed in one of our mini recessions ....plus other problams that built up .....

....so at 62, I am still trying to figure out how to make a living .....no help there !

....This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic lane"
Terry Pratchett

....If you're going through hell, ......keep going.....
Old 04-06-13, 04:37 PM

ThomasElliot is on a distinguished road

I understand where you are coming from, but I think it's all about what you make of it honestly.

I have a desk job, and I work with spreadsheets, word docs, honestly very boring dry stuff, because I have to made certain changes to things and make sure it looks completely correct.
But the way my task structure is oriented with my boss, is that she gives me an assignment. I have a time frame that it needs to be completed in and once the task is completed. She gives me another assignment.
There are times when I can complete 4-5 assignments a day, but there are others where one assignment can take several days.

What has really helped me, is that I look at it as a challenge. I felt like my return on completing assignments could be better, so I pushed myself and I got to a point where I was turning in an assignment every two hours and my boss was like you are going through so fast, I'm scrambling to find more work for you.

I didn't touch on this at the start of my post, but I think support has an incredibly high impact on how much you enjoy your job. I had an incredibly rough 10 months starting out at my company, I had zero support, but I knew that I had a few things down the pipeline. So I waited, I stayed patient and I feel like finally I have sort of arrived. But I also know I still have a lot of work to do, and it's completely up to me whether I achieve it or not.

I worked at a bank before doing this and I hated it. I hated it because no matter what I did, it was never enough. I was top sales for my district, my state and sometimes the entire region. But it always like well you did this so now what? It was never like oh great, what you did was fantastic, let's see if we can top that next month.
It's all about the approach to the situation.

Also a bit of a side note, at my desk job, I am allowed to listen to my iPod. I can't tell you how much that helps me focus. Once my medication kicks in and I find myself surrounding by music. I can get lost in completing a task and two hours will have gone by like it's nothing.

I know this may not be exactly what you are looking for, but I figured I would try to give you a perspective from a non "creative" job standpoint.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ThomasElliot For This Useful Post:
APSJ (04-12-13), boopdeedoop (04-08-13), caughtredheaded (08-09-13), omofca (04-07-13)
Old 04-06-13, 05:08 PM

Thanked 3,330 Times in 1,335 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute

Look at this divisive tripe.

Problem one: ADD is not a thing.

Problem two: Anyone who is saying that people with ADHD should get creative jobs is selling you something.

The whole idea of there being "jobs that are great for people with ADHD" is schlock meant to sell you a book or some good feelings. It's like saying "well people with OCD make good janitors!" or "well people with autism would make great data entry workers!" It's garbage.

Stop defining yourself as your disorder, and looking for jobs based on your "population." Start actually self-assessing your own strength and weaknesses and looking for jobs you can do or want to do or are good at. Identification with the statistical cluster that describes people with similar dysfunctions is not a reasonable, viable way to determine whether or not jobs are good for you.

Especially if your symptom cluster self-identification of choice hasn't been a thing since the late 80s.
APSJ (04-12-13), computerbrains (04-27-13), Fortune (04-12-13), litterbuggy (05-02-13), omofca (04-07-13), sarahsweets (04-06-13), Spacemaster (04-11-13), ThomasElliot (04-06-13), VelvetTiger (04-10-13)
Old 04-10-13, 09:19 PM
ADDvanced Member

VelvetTiger is a glorious beacon of lightVelvetTiger is a glorious beacon of lightVelvetTiger is a glorious beacon of lightVelvetTiger is a glorious beacon of lightVelvetTiger is a glorious beacon of light

Wow, I had no idea ADD didn't "exist" anymore and it's all called ADHD, either. Live in a city that's always two decades behind for years and years, and you miss a lot!

Anyway, I tend to be skeptical of those articles because as Trooper Keith suggested, they are usually trying to sell readers something. Many are actually promotions from Monster, Career Builder, or some type of resume or career consulting service.

I have seen articles suggesting "all" women are "naturally good at organizing and multi-tasking, so they should be project managers." It's a lot like those articles that aim to tell people with a certain type of cognitive challenge or MH issue what types of jobs they should do. Not all women are organized or adept at multi-tasking, so it's silly to stereotype and even sillier to prescribe one type of job as a solution to everyone's job hunt or career quest. Sadly, I find that a lot of hiring managers believe this bull puckey. You wouldn't believe the number of calls I get about project management, a job for which I am fundamentally ill-suited.

Can I be organized? Sure! All I have to do is make sure to get just two hours of sleep and wake up multiple times a night to write down and obsess about all the things I forgot the day before and may forget the next day. And find a doctor willing to write a double benzo script so I can numb myself out to all the feelings of stress and panic that arise whenever I'm put in the position of essentially "baby sitting" other designers, not to mention, re-doing half of their work 'cause the boss says so, and having tons of responsibility but absolutely no authority whatsoever. Then, my fleeting ability to multi-task goes out the window, but all I have to do then is skip meals and cancel all my plans so I can get a handle on the mountain of work. See, ALL women are AWESOME project managers!
By the way (by the way
).

–"Sludge Factory"

Magically bored on a quiet street corner
Free frustration in our minds and our toes
Quiet stormwater – my, my, my generation
Uppers and downers, either way blood flows.

–"5'15"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VelvetTiger For This Useful Post:
APSJ (04-12-13), Spacemaster (04-11-13)
Old 04-10-13, 09:46 PM
ADDvanced Member

VelvetTiger is a glorious beacon of lightVelvetTiger is a glorious beacon of lightVelvetTiger is a glorious beacon of lightVelvetTiger is a glorious beacon of lightVelvetTiger is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquarePeg View Post
I need to be (...) given exact instructions. (but my boss always allowed me to use my initiative and make any changes I felt were needed). I canīt do "vague" at all.
Oooooh, yeah. That's me in a nutshell, minus the specific tasks part (replaced w/ ellipses) cause my career area has a lot of creative leeway...I'm inattentive and hyperactive, so I thrive with that.

I briefly had a boss who didn't actually use language the way most people used it. He would call e-mails "documents" so if he sent me an email with several attachments and said "I sent you the documents," I'd assume I got what I needed. Then, later on, he'd get on my case for missing data, and insist I wasn't looking hard enough at "the documents," but in the meantime, the other 2-3 EMAILS he referred to as "the documents with the data" were sitting in his Draft folder. Then there was the time he told us we'd have a "break for a week" the week after a huge conference to "relax and recharge," but I got in trouble for taking him at face value – to him, "break for a week" and "relax and recharge" meant "show up at the normal time every day and I'll try to give you a little less work, but don't count on it."

Finally, he got quite nasty when he was under stress, and even if I wrung myself inside-out to complete a portion of a project on a very tight/urgent deadline he'd previously set, if I tried to get his sign-off, he'd wave me away and bark, "That's on hold until [X days/weeks down the road]," only to demand I turn in a finished product a couple days later. He'd then be accusing me of not paying attention. That, and the "break" snafu were what convinced me to resign and pursue other opportunities before I got fired.

I got the job through a friend so my ADHD was a known entity, and it was difficult not to take him personally. However, I learned his department had a turnover rate of almost 80 percent, and most of that turnover consisted of NT folks who were as baffled by his (lack of) direction as I was. Lesson learned? Take copious notes, giving you a record of what they said, and when they said it. And review the instructions w/ the boss after getting them so there's no misunderstandings. (With this guy, that wouldn't have worked...he felt I was wasting his time when I went to grab my notebook or sketchbook, and if I reviewed his instructions with him, he'd wave me away like this: "Yeah, yeah." *impatient sigh* "I GET it!")

Maybe the real lesson here is to suss out everything you can about the job before you're hired? What if you're up for a job someplace where you have no connections though? How does THAT work?
By the way (by the way
).

–"Sludge Factory"

Magically bored on a quiet street corner
Free frustration in our minds and our toes
Quiet stormwater – my, my, my generation
Uppers and downers, either way blood flows.

–"5'15"

Last edited by VelvetTiger; 04-10-13 at 10:01 PM..
Old 04-11-13, 02:47 AM
Contributor

oneup is just really niceoneup is just really niceoneup is just really niceoneup is just really nice

It just depends on what you like. Project manager is probably my dream job, never have to do any real work, make decisions, tell other people what to do, but also not have any direct reports. I have to micromanage myself to get stuff done, so micromanaging a project is not all that different. But having a 100% creative job, that would feel like too much pressure day in and out. I would hate it I think.