ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Advocacy, Coaching, Counseling and Practitioner Referrals > Counseling & Therapy
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-05, 02:48 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

exeter is on a distinguished road
Oh, yes, I think I might have even made up side effects in my mind for some of the medications I'm taking. "Medical student disease" is pretty common. Fortunately, my doctors and my therapist have been great, so I don't need to diagnose myself. My therapist, especially, isn't much concerned with diagnosis. He'd rather spend his energy helping me rather than digging through the book looking for the right diagnostic code.

Just tell your doctor what's going on. That's what they're there for, and I'm sure they've heard it all, your not alone in what's going on. -- jazzper
Old 03-11-05, 04:15 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Draga has disabled reputation
LOL sometimes I am so thurough on Dexadrine You'd swear I was MONK

Please do not think me cold, for I do want loving arms to hold, but I am so sick of being used and abused...If I die alone tomorrow I die unbruised.
Old 03-13-05, 03:50 AM
Forum Guru

KnittingJunkie has disabled reputation
Man.... I should be thorough on some Xanax right now. I must sleep. Yet, I have so much homework and my brain ain't workin well enough to write it in a way that makes sense!

The stress, it kills. It kills!

Chrys
Old 03-13-05, 06:28 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Draga has disabled reputation
Key is to not let stress kill kill and just chill chill

Please do not think me cold, for I do want loving arms to hold, but I am so sick of being used and abused...If I die alone tomorrow I die unbruised.
Old 03-13-05, 06:00 PM
Forum Guru

Draga

I know, dear, but for one class, I'm supposed to write a 10 page paper centered around the textbooks for that class...and I hate the textbooks--they are utterly horrid. So there's not much motivation, and it's hard to really understand how to compose a paper with books I can't comprehend or am simply so disinterested in (due to style of writing, primarily) that I have very little ability to pay attention to the content. Ugh.

That's more of an internal conflict, though. Maybe you can stick your two cents in...I've probably created some need for you to consider the issue I am worried about before, since you mod one of my favorite forums...

Chrys

Last edited by Draga; 03-13-05 at 07:35 PM..
Old 03-15-05, 03:27 AM
Forum Guru

Lightbulb Oh, What a Tangled Web...therapies & uses & people & similarities & differences...

I'm fine. Gotta think like an existentialist, and quit with the Existential guilt. (Existential guilt is when you either consciously or unconsciously ignore your ability to make independent choices. It's a key part of Existential therapy.)

Speaking of therapy, a thought came to mind, maybe a tip or a little "remember" thing--thought I remembered seeing something about your therapy being kind of ineffective somewhere, it was a post about how to fire your therapist. So I thought, hey, this could be good. (And quite fitting for a counseling forum, anyway.) It occurred to me that McTavish might actually get something out of this too if he reads it, so there's a bonus.

I was thinking about, well, the counseling forum in general, and doing a paper, (or trying) and I remembered a thesis I wrote two terms ago, and laughed my *** off at the central concept I based it on. Kind of cheered me up on the subject of school in general. It was a paper about types of therapy used in counseling. (Note that types, styles, and theories are used somewhat synonymously here.)
Integrative practice means that you, as the therapist, basically morph around from type to type (humanistic/existential/behavior mod/etc) of therapy depending on the case, on what each client's individual needs demand and what they would benefit most from, or if you focus on one kind of therapy and don't ever want to do another, you refer someone who needs another kind. That may not have made sense and likely bored the heck out of you, sorry.

Anyway, in the thesis, I'm arguing that one type of therapy can't be used on everyone, either completely different cases or nearly identical ones depending on one personal trait that might be different. I think one of the comments was like "if therapists threw ethics and logic out the window, we'd use hardcore Behavior therapy on anxious grieving widows and Existential therapy on hardcore criminals, and then we'd all be up a creek!" Something like that. It's on my parents' hard drive at the moment. (Slight error between "stick an extra copy on the disk" and "put the whole damn thing on the disk and take it out of this computer." Ughhhh.) Anyway, rambling...

'Course, I'm not a therapist yet, but at the time I was completely focused on Existentialism and it made me realize that even stuff that seems obvious for Existential therapy (crisis relief, grief support, many things) couldn't always be helped by Existential practice.

Are you still with me? Hopefully.

It was sort of humorous, but wasn't entirely meant to be funny, I just used criminals and grieving widows to illustrate a dramatic difference...but the point of the thesis was discussing the downfalls of certain therapies--when they should NOT be used, and why...like, for example, newly-widowed grandmothers in psych boot camp (so to speak), and criminals freely exploring their emotional issues and seeking personal growth! Yeah...think that sounds like a great idea? Whole point of the paper was to switch the two--for example, Existential therapy can help immensely in crisis situations, like grieving a loved one's death, and Behavior mod therapy can help criminals do some serious cognitive restructuring. Thus, even though I like liberal, humanistic theories the best, I know they don't work well for everyone. Is that making any sense, Mel, in the importance of matching therapy-type-to-problem-in-consideration-of-each-person?

Basically, it's about thinking about each individual person in each situation, even if the situations seem similar. There are even similarities in some therapies--like one in CBT and one in Person-Centered--they're both about accepting and understanding yourself and coming to grips with your self-worth, you know, important stuff for depression and anxiety. You'd probably really be into a principle (ok, lots of 'em) of Feminist theory, which is basically about redefining what mental illness is, but then if you look at Feminist, Rogerian, Gestalt, Existential, Behavior mod...dude, a lot of them, all have some sort of stress-coping aspect, but the best one to use depends on what will work best for a particular person's anxiety depending on the root of it and the situation surrounding present-day struggles with anxiety.

The whole thing is that there are a ton of therapies and they weave into a web, and a therapist can never assume one is right for everyone with a certain problem, though each is famous for its percentage-based success with particular issues. All depends on the person. You have to figure out what's best for you before you hook onto an independent journey or an educational teaching-tool based thing or even the traditional lay-on-the-couch style.

It's complicated but it's worth it.

I wish I'd known all that when I was therapy shopping a few years back. Would've saved a heck of a lot of money.

Chrys