ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TEENS AND YOUNG ADULTS WITH ADD/ADHD > Homework & School
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Homework & School This forum is for teens with AD/HD talk about homework and other school related issues.

Old 05-19-06, 08:43 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,020 Times in 2,425 Posts
livinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond repute
Homework Tips!

Taken from:
http://add.about.com/cs/forteens/a/blteenshomework.htm

1. Try to complete your homework in daylight hours.
Some studies indicate it takes longer to complete the same task at nighttime.

2. Create flashcards for yourself when studying for a test.
These allow you to break down information into small segments easily.

3. Use an assignment book.
Don't rely on your memory to keep track of what you need to remember. You can also try using a pocket size tape recorder (you might need to get permission from the school to use this) and you can speak your assignments and what you need to remember. You can also use this at home to record what you need to remember to do in school the next day.

4. Create a space for yourself to complete your homework.
Keep this area as clutter free as possible and have supplies, such as pencils, pens, and paper, readily available. Ask your family to respect your homework space and not take supplies or move items around so that you are not using homework time to reorganize yourself each day.

5. Use a cardboard box to keep all your loose papers in.
Each day when you do your homework, empty your books, backpack, pockets, etc. of loose papers and add them to the box. When you need old papers for school, you will know exactly where to find them.

6. For long term projects, break down into small chunks and make a schedule for completing each item.
Keep your schedule on the wall of your homework area (use a white board or bulletin board on the wall) so that each day you can see what needs to be completed toward your project.

7. Complete the hardest homework, or the subject you dislike the most first and get it out of the way.
If you save this for last you could drag out the rest of your homework in order to delay it.

8. Keep a list of classmates and their phone numbers
in your study area so that you can call if you have forgotten the assignment or have questions about what should be completed.

9. Take a short break every half hour to stretch and then get back to work.
Be sure to limit your break time to 5 minutes and make sure you don't start watching TV during the break.

10. When studying for a test, read through the summaries of sections and chapters before reading the chapter itself.
This will help you to focus on the main ideas of the chapter.

Post other tips that you want to pass on!

Leonard: “You’re using chocolates as positive reinforcement for what you consider good behavior!”
Sheldon: “Very good! Chocolate?”
-The Big Bang Theory (sitcom on CBS)
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to livinginchaos For This Useful Post:
antlem (11-30-12), backstay (05-28-13), Davidsmom (09-26-17), forgetsky (01-22-09), JustAHedgehog (04-18-17), kwalk (08-02-17), Letching Gray (04-25-17), mondayblues (01-23-13), mrwiggles (05-23-12)
Old 05-20-07, 06:47 PM
ADDvanced Member

Revz will become famous soon enough
Exclamation School Help!!!!!!!!!!

Hey i was wondering maby this could get sticked? but i really need some help with school. Next year is my senior year at HS and i need to get straight A's.

so i would really apreciate all help, ideas, and strategys that will help a kid with ADD do great in school... it can be anything at all

thanks in advance
The Following User Says Thank You to Revz For This Useful Post:
Letching Gray (04-25-17)
Old 05-20-07, 07:07 PM

Thanked 5,020 Times in 2,425 Posts
livinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond repute
hey Revz!!

here are some tips for you!

(1) be as organized as possible (color coding helps me a lot)

(2) keep a routine (ex. do your homework as soon as you get home everyday)

(3) take breaks while doing homework (ex. 1 - 10 minute break per 20-30 minutes of studying)

(4) Keep an assignment planner. Every time you get a homework assignment write it in and write down the date it's due

(5) Same thing with tests. As soon as you know the date of a test, write it in the planner.

(6) as soon as your homework is done, put it in your backpack so you don't forget it

(7) Talk with your teacher. let him/her know what he/she can do to help you

(8) keep a calendar somewhere you spend a lot of time. Write down test dates & homework due dates, so you stay aware of when your test dates are & when homework is due.

. . that's about all I can think of right now. I'll add on as I think of 'em

oh, also check out this post about homework tips (it's a sticky on this forum)
http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28642

Leonard: “You’re using chocolates as positive reinforcement for what you consider good behavior!”
Sheldon: “Very good! Chocolate?”
-The Big Bang Theory (sitcom on CBS)
The Following User Says Thank You to livinginchaos For This Useful Post:
rayeraye (01-09-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-07, 07:16 PM
Contributor

Edward is on a distinguished road
Talk with teachers as much as possible,
see if you can get extended times for your tests and a distraction free environment to take your tests in,
have an assignment/time planner,
always do the readings for class before the class,
try to never get behind in class,
maybe get a few days ahead of the readings, but don't go too far ahead,
eat every healthy meal, take a shower every morning, and go to bed early every night,
sit in the front center seat in every class if possible,
take notes the entire time,
and don't go to drinking parties and don't watch television,

p.s.,
ya DPC(dupage county)!, i'm accross the street from COD as I write this
ESOTERIC TEXT
Oh I forgot:
Double-Dx: Spheno Palatine Gangleoneuralgia {when I eat ice cream too fast:foot:}
Old 05-20-07, 08:02 PM
ADDvanced Member

Revz will become famous soon enough
holy crap! 1 year of school left and ill be going to COD maby ill cya ya there(if ya go there)

oh and thanks for all the advice keep it coming
The Following User Says Thank You to Revz For This Useful Post:
M.Grace Olson (12-01-17)
Old 05-20-07, 11:23 PM

auntchris is a jewel in the roughauntchris is a jewel in the roughauntchris is a jewel in the rough
I had a teacher , that suggested to me to get a calendar

and write all my readings , assignments and test days on a monthly calendar so that I

could see everything that is dues an manage my time to figure out a study plan.

She was right. It does help.

I also type out some of notes, it helps

Color coding has helped me to stay organised. If the book is blue then that folder is blue.

Stay on top of the reading. See if you can get readings ahead of time.

Ask the teacher if she will let you tape the class. If you do this use a digital recorder, they have ones where you can down load the class onto the computer. Also get permission from the teacher.

A child's mind is like a shallow brook which ripples and dances merrily over the stony course of its education and reflects here a flower, there a bush, yonder fleecy cloud... -Helen Keller

Old 05-21-07, 05:45 AM
Contributor

acceptance has disabled reputation
I hope you keep a diary of each day.It will have some significance of your goals.I put this forth to my younger Son.I'm esatic(spelling) that he has only one years left on his apprenticship>CHEF,He is now 20,a master at what he does and thru the ups and downs.....His strenghth has a proven abillitey(spelling is bad here,but remember ...heartfelft advice is an opal)
I Hope you do well,
This Site has proven encouragement.
Stay focused.
Be Safe.
Old 10-03-07, 05:04 PM

supersomeone is on a distinguished road
needless to say stay after school for help as much as a pain in the *** it is to do if you go just once the teachers have such a beter outlook on you since you took time to stay after and such.Also if you are involved with after school stuff (i have something every day) i do almost all of my homework in school . It works well for me since every thing is fourtie mins so i know what i have to get done also i go to our media center thing during my lunch(dont like all the noise or the ppl in my lunch) to get my work done (which you might not do since you might have friends and want to sit with them but whatever)also i have a study hall like thing .Also keep as little floders and notebooks as possible those five star things with the folders inside are great that way you dont have to spend so much looking to find the color coding things and such hope this helps
Old 10-03-07, 05:22 PM

Thanked 1,017 Times in 640 Posts
QueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant future
Tutor/Coach?

Does your school or Board have any resources?

Does your school have an Adolescent Care Worker (ACW) who can set you up with someone?

Another Alternative is to get a Study Buddy. (Someone in your classes. Meet Weekly and share ideas, review each others work/writing/solutions to questions/essay prewritings.)

This is how I got an A in one of my University courses, actually.

I found another Student doing the same Correspondence Course, and we helped each other!
Old 10-03-07, 08:37 PM
Forum Guru

Paws13 has a spectacular aura aboutPaws13 has a spectacular aura about
There are really good ideas here I'm sure so many people would appreciate. I'll merge this thread.

My contributions:

~Use flashcards- Study them in groups of 5, then after studying the groups, consolidate them and study them as a whole group.
~Color Code- It's been mentioned, but it works wonders. Hilight different tests/quizzes/projects for different subjects on a calendar, color code your folders, write your different subjects in different colored pens... etc, etc, etc.
~Keep a seperate folder at home for things you may need later- What I mean by this is go through your folders once a week, and keep the important things such as tests in a folder at home, that way it doesn't take up as much room in your school folder. Then when you look for them later, they're in that folder, instead of stuffed in your backpack or locker.
~Listen to classical music when you do your homework- Although most people are convinced that any type of music helps them study, it isn't true. The lyrics can mess people up because they start singing to the music and don't pay attention to the work, or they start writing lyrics on the paper (it's happened to me before!). Classical music works better because it's lyricless and focuses your mind.
The Following User Says Thank You to Paws13 For This Useful Post:
Davidsmom (09-26-17)
Old 07-31-08, 05:37 AM

Booo is on a distinguished road
Re: Homework Tips!

only keep schoolwork on your desk, use a boring pen, and dont leave your game boy hanging around XD
or a jojo...
or one of those pen's that when you hold it sideways something in it moves...

but id think this's pretty logical.. XD

The doors - Take it as it comes

Old 10-05-08, 06:51 PM

Juliak will become famous soon enough

i talked to all of my teachers and gave them the 12 things a ADHD teen wants their teachers to know (or something like that, found in this forum) and i think that it appoligized in addvance for anything i do.

"...dwell in that light, that sudden paradise of sound." -from "moon" by mark strand

"la la la la la... Sing to the rythm of your heart" - Rooney Smile (me)
Old 01-08-09, 02:17 AM

darkland8 will become famous soon enough

Any ideas on how to stay focused while reading? I have problems with noises (like the ticking of a clock) they always break my train of thoguht I've tried music and it works great for math, but the moment it comes to reading something the lyrics of the song tend to fuse with what I'm reading. I'd love to get music without lyrics but my parents arr stingy and won't let me buy music. All the music I've gotten is from friends.
Old 01-11-09, 12:39 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

wifeandmom is a splendid one to beholdwifeandmom is a splendid one to beholdwifeandmom is a splendid one to beholdwifeandmom is a splendid one to beholdwifeandmom is a splendid one to beholdwifeandmom is a splendid one to beholdwifeandmom is a splendid one to behold

Darkland, do an internet search on classical music stations for your city. DD doesn't own any classical recordings, but listens to a classical music radio station when she studies. Also, get a library card. Most public libraries loan CDs. Your school library might.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wifeandmom For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (01-11-09), livinginchaos (01-11-09)
Old 01-13-09, 06:07 PM

darkland8 will become famous soon enough

Ah thanks never though of that... lol