ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-18, 12:45 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,587 Times in 1,214 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy)

I agree with trying CBT.

So here's an example--small but important--of me using CBT.

I tried for years to keep a planner ... a calendar that identified appointments and times and places I needed to be.

Problem is ... first times I tried this ... i would stop and give up ... quit ... So my planner experience = total failure. Conclusion: I cannot keep a planner. It didn't help.

I used my CBT training and said ... waitaminut! ... Just because I failed to keep a planner in the past ... does not mean I will never be able to use a planner well. There are all kinds of things I could not do at first, including riding a bike ... and I learned over time ...

So the thought that I would never be able to use a planner = just a thought, not necessarily truth ...

Then you get more detailed ... Some failure judgement is "all or nothing" thinking. So .. turns out, when I thought hard, for one of those planner failures, I kept it up for like 6 months ... And I enjoyed it. Not a big pain at all ... So hold on, the CBT would say, you did something successfully for six months and now you're saying you were a total failure at this thing? ... No, you succeeded for six months. Now, try doing it for 8 months.

Bottom Line: I now use a planner regularly ... Substitute any new behavior for using a planner ... and likely, someone with ADHD will have a history of "failure."

A practical example of a similar kind of method to CBT is with quitting smoking.

The research is now clear: almost no one successfully quits the first time. In fact, it takes multiple times before people fully quit ... So the new thinking is that the initial attempts at quitting aren't really "failures" ... but just part of the process of quitting. Seriously that is the new thinking. Very CBT.

The problem is ... if you don't know this ... then your seemingly reasonable reaction to failing to quit is gonna be to give up. But the irony is ... you are probably half-way through the successful quitting process.

The occupational therapy can be extremely helpful btw. I did a version of this with a coach .. who literally helped me make my job 50 percent easier to do with thinking I simply did not have. And I have used a highly organized and design-oriented friend, to learn how to organize my living space. I couldn't figure that out on my own. My buddy, can figure out how to shift things around in the best way in like 5 minutes.

Last edited by ToneTone; 06-22-18 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: tightening
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ToneTone For This Useful Post:
Lizzie80 (07-18-18), Lunacie (06-22-18)
Old 06-22-18, 12:45 PM
ADDvanced Member

allesandro1 has a spectacular aura aboutallesandro1 has a spectacular aura about

Yes, I do have experience with CBT however no one comes into your house and barks orders at you. You and the therapist act as co-therapists. You define together what you both feel needs to be addressed and then agree upon strategies with which to address them time frames, and document obstacles that may have prevented you from achieving your goals, and then try to work through them together. No one comes into your house and barks orders at you
The Following User Says Thank You to allesandro1 For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (06-22-18)
Old 06-22-18, 01:05 PM

Thanked 2,587 Times in 1,214 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

Second that ... definitely no barking in CBT.

Not sure where or how you would even get that impression.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-18, 04:53 AM

Abeljzook is on a distinguished road

Yes, Allesandro is right. In CBT you and your therapist work together to identify your problems. It will reframe your thinking and hence reduce the symptoms. Another great thing about CBT is that it is a non-medication treatment. So, it is always better to try CBT first. In my case, I tried a lot of medications in past. Then my brother told me about CBT. But I had no idea about what it is so I thought it's a dumb idea. But he forced me to try it. Then I went to a cognitive behavioral therapy clinic in Toronto. At first, I felt like I'm wasting my money. But eventually, I realized how amazing it is. I'm still doing it and I would say if done properly, CBT can do wonders. It can change your life forever. But your cooperation and understanding are very important.

Last edited by namazu; 07-17-18 at 12:01 PM.. Reason: links to commercial sites are not allowed
Old 07-18-18, 03:35 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,249 Times in 14,924 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abeljzook View Post
Yes, Allesandro is right. In CBT you and your therapist work together to identify your problems. It will reframe your thinking and hence reduce the symptoms. Another great thing about CBT is that it is a non-medication treatment. So, it is always better to try CBT first.
No, it is not better to try CBT first. Medication is a first line treatment for adhd and if anything, CBT is way further down the list as far as treatment goes.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 07-18-18, 05:14 AM

Thanked 6,477 Times in 3,092 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
No, it is not better to try CBT first. Medication is a first line treatment for adhd and if anything, CBT is way further down the list as far as treatment goes.

No. Medication and it's side effects should be avoided if possible. Why take medication first, if CBT on its own may be enough?
Old 07-18-18, 05:40 AM
Mod-A-holic

sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 View Post
No. Medication and it's side effects should be avoided if possible. Why take medication first, if CBT on its own may be enough?
I am not saying CBT shouldnt be tried at all in conjunction with meds. Medication should not be avoided at all costs. My son was medicated at age 4 and it saved his life.
I practice DBT so I am all for therapuetic practices but first line treatments are called that for a reason.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 07-18-18, 05:49 AM

Thanked 6,477 Times in 3,092 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I am not saying CBT shouldnt be tried at all in conjunction with meds. Medication should not be avoided at all costs. My son was medicated at age 4 and it saved his life.
I practice DBT so I am all for therapuetic practices but first line treatments are called that for a reason.

I clearly never said they should be avoided at "all costs". But jumping straight to the pills before trying anything else is very irresponsible in my opinion. There's about 1001 different causes for ADHD like symptoms and it would be extremely foolish not to explore possible triggers before jumping on the medication bandwagon.
Old 07-18-18, 10:18 AM
Mod-A-holic

Sorry about the all costs statement. I somehow misread that. The problem is the phrase you just used “band wagon “. It’s that kind of thinking that fuels misinformation and doubt about adhd and the treatments for it. Of course nobody wants to have to take medicine but the science is what Olay attention to. If the science said CBT was the most effective first line treatment the. I would go with that but it doesn’t. There have been many studies and the same or similar conclusions are always made: medicine when tolerated is the best chance for success in treating adhd. I’m of the belief that it should always be meds and therapy but that’s just me.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
amberwillow (07-20-18)
Old 07-18-18, 02:42 PM

Budkeiser is on a distinguished road

I agree with the statement that here are many "like ADHD" symptoms, but most people diagnosed with ADHD are taking medication because they don't have "like ADHD" symptoms, but they have ADHD symptoms.
Since everyone is individualistic, there are probably a wide range of effective tools and medication seems to be a common factor that works. I wouldn't say that therapy would work for everyone as it depends on more than one person in the equation, not everyone has access to therapy (cost or logistics) or if there are variables besides ADHD. Not all people diagnosed with ADHD have anxiety or depression and not all therapy personalities gel well together. However since medication has been proven to work for ADHD with good results for a large population, I would agree that medication is probably a good thing to try first. I would consider therapy to be used in more complex or more severe cases.
Lunacie (07-18-18)
Old 07-18-18, 03:06 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 20,575 Times in 10,338 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Fraser, in your OP, you seemed resistant to the idea of CBT, but now you're promoting CBT as a first step before medications.

Does that mean you've started CBT therapy and you're finding it beneficial?
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
peripatetic (07-18-18)
Old 07-19-18, 05:49 AM

warmbrew_991 is on a distinguished road

I'm thinking about giving it a go next time I see my psychiatrist I'm going to ask him. Initially I didn't think therapy would be useful but after reading about CBT it has potential although I still doubt how much of what I learn I'll put into practice
The Following User Says Thank You to warmbrew_991 For This Useful Post:
namazu (07-19-18)
Old 07-19-18, 08:05 PM
Contributor

LyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to behold

Depends on the severity. If the symptoms are severe I'd go with medication first line. The symptoms need to be moderately manageable before relying on something like CBT. As you get better at CBT you can slack off the medication. CBT isn't instant and it isn't a miracle.

It could also be because I'm bipolar and the medication *needed* to be first line before I ended up dead. I didn't have time to squabble over side effects and telling someone how I felt. Plenty of people with more manageable versions of the disorder do fine without medication. It depends on where you fall on the spectrum.

Being diagnose (as everything) as an adult I found that over the years I had come up with a sh- ton of coping mechanisms. I read all the books but I already had things in place that worked the same or better. I went directly to medication for my ADHD. If someone can show me coping mechanisms that work better than mine I'll be glad to have a chat but I think that's doubtful.

If you manage pretty well on your own go for CBT. If you need more immediate control of serious symptoms medication is the best first route. Then CBT.
Old 07-25-18, 07:48 AM
Mod-A-holic

I am a fan of DBT to be honest.

I carried a watermelon?