ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Sleeping
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-11, 11:43 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,771 Times in 774 Posts
Possum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sleeping/Insomnia Forum

My two cents...

I've suffered from insomnia since just about forever - long before I was ever diagnosed with ADHD and started taking adderall. Everyone responds to meds differently. Its like figuring out which med will help your ADHD - sometimes you have to try several before you hit on the right one.

My insomnia is not touched by things like ambien, halcion, or trazadone. I need a longer lasting med like restorill or dalmane. Doctors don't always like to prescribe these because they think it will leave you groggy in the morning. Not me. They make me feel rested in the morning.

I don't even know if they still prescribe chloral hydrate. I tried that year and years ago and was dissatisfied with it. I never heard that people can drop dead from it. Back in the old days before all the sophisticated drugs we have now, people would add chloral hydrate to alcohol to make a "knock out" drink.

The one non medicinal thing that helps me is getting some kind of sustained exercise on a regular basis. For me, walking for an hour or two every day is helpful.
Old 12-08-11, 11:59 PM

swashbedazzled is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeybadger View Post
Checking in.

In closing, I have every problem in the book with regards to sleep. Apnea, severe insomnia, no internal clock at all, complete inability to wake up when required, constant wake-ups when I finally do sleep.
Oh man I feel your pain. I have every kind of sleep issue known. I've had insomnia since I was a little kid, where I think I was just not tired and not interested in being in bed. I also had such intense nightmares when I was little and again when I hit puberty that sleep became something really traumatic to me. I learned to just get out of bed and go do something productive, instead of lying there staring at the ceiling forcing myself painfully to stay in bed. My entire teenage life was spent battling sleep and the potential boredom of hours and hours alone at night. From 14 to about 19 I slept from around 6am to 8am. It only changed when I moved in with a partner and got to poach his normal sleeping schedule. Even then I have always been a night time fight picker. It's as if I hate sleep, but I don't.

I think I have sleep apnea too but I can't afford the testing and it isn't covered because I don't fit enough of the criteria. Mainly that I am not over weight. I used to be so anxious about sleep that I would wake up gasping with my heart pounding worried that I slept through something. I think I missed two final exams in college besides a ton of classes. I've been lucky that I'm in a field where I've mostly avoided mornings, when I have early (like 8am) meetings I just stay up.

I do a little bit better on ADHD meds because I really force myself to work on sleep hygiene, because I don't impulsively get out of bed every 20 minutes, and because I don't have the anxiety of not having been productive all day. Despite that I still worry that I will sleep through work because it takes 2 super loud alarms to wake me up and even then I sometimes lack the motivation to get out of bed. I try to have really good breakfast food and coffee as bribes. I sometimes wonder if my issue is really AHDH or just the sleep problems, though hearing so many stories that sound like mine I guess there is some connection.
Old 01-30-12, 06:52 AM
Banned

AlexandriaN is on a distinguished road

hey guys!
i had insomnia like my whole life.
nothing could make me fall asleep when insomnia started.
not even sedative.
when my co-workers said that reading could help i just laughed.
but you know what? it helps! i haven't had these problems for a couple of weeks now.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-12, 07:23 PM
ADDvanced Member

YOUCANCALLMEAL will become famous soon enough
Re: This Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi88 View Post
I find it hard to get to sleep, even when I'm etremely tired I can lay awake all night and be awake all day, and still not be able to get to sleep the next night. I found that playing classical music as I try to sleep sometimes helps me, but other times I'll just lay awake and listen to the music. Also if I know that I have to get up early the next morning for an appointment, there is no hope of me getting to sleep,and I get aggravated with myself and count down the hours until I have to get up. Does anyone else have that problem?
Yes. This is me. Exactly. In fact, the more tired I am the less likely I am to sleep...very weird
Old 02-01-12, 12:14 PM

colnajoe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDBecky View Post
I've started a very had habit. I take sleeping pills 4 or 5 nights a week. If I don't I seem to stay up till 3 am. My brain doesn't ever shut off and I lay in bed just thinking about stupid S**T! I've got work in the morning and can't be cranky. I do wake up well rested, I dream and are a little sleepy but I wake up with-in half an hour.

Anyone else do this or have done this?
I do the same thing, I'm a police officer and work multiple shifts a year....Ambian, PM's, Valerian root, melatonin......it works but I rarely feel rested. I,m 49, diagnosed ADD at 7....mom says I never slept over 4 hour my whole life
Old 02-12-12, 09:35 AM

Chronos_ is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I've had all kinds of sleeping problems since I was a child. I have hardly ever had a natural sleep rhythm really. When I was a child I used to wake up and scream some horiffic things but would not recall them later. I'm just extremely mentally active and my mind is absolutely always occupied with something. It doesn't necesseraily have to be negative or stressful. Anyway, I few years ago I became more aware of the importance of what we eat as directly relating to our health, stopped eating meat and any foods with preservatives etc. I must say that changed my health status a lot and haven't been sick since then, however it didn't really change my sleep issues. About a year ago I befriended a woman who introduced me to her network marketing business and the products they were offering. I started taking their algae and experienced improvement very quickly. Apparently many people took it to help them with depression and sleeping issues so I tried it and it worked for me. That's not to say it must work for everyone of course.
Anyway I grew to love the algae since it helped me with many other things which are off topic here and decided to promote them myself. You can check it out at my website:

http://www.aquasourceproducts.co.uk

After I started taking them almost immediately I started to have dreams again. Before, when I'd fall asleep, eventually, I'd sleep like I was passed out. I had no dreams whatsoever, maybe one dream a month that I could sort of remember. A week into the algae I started having 5, 6, 7 dreams every night which I could remember clearly. I remember asking her about that and she said something in the tone of "the unconscious is cleansing itself". In any case I haven't stopped taking them and it feels so good to look forward to going to bed now!

I strongly recommend staying off drugs. Experiment with any sort of natural products to see what works for you, it doesn't have to be algae there are many things out there that I haven't tried. Everyone has a different cause for insomnia which is why it is hard to deal with, it is quite individual. Human beings are complex creatures both psychologically and biochemically.

Something else, which is quite popular, yet I feel as though few people actually do it, is meditation. I've been meditating for a while now and boy has that improved my life. I've noticed that the only/main reason we can't fall asleep is because our conscious attention is attached and focused on something in our life - internal or external. Meditation taught me to let go - not get attached and follow the thread of that thought that comes to us when we close our eyes. It took me only a few months to learn to let go. If you are trying to fall asleep - let that thought go and just wait for a few minutes and you'll be off to sleep! Thanks to this I can easily now fall asleep in many environments with external distraction. Dog barking outside? No problem - I let it go, don't get attached to it, don't fall for its devilish temptation to get my attention! Construction work? Sleeping on the plane? Same thing. A useful tool for me to fall asleep with noise and people around me was to mentally count myself down from a 100 until I drifted off.

Anyway I've tried a bunch of things over the years and these are the solutions I finally came to that helped me, but it was a personal process of research, experimenting and discovery, which is what I would advise everyone. I hope it was of some help!
The Following User Says Thank You to Chronos_ For This Useful Post:
jengen (05-02-12)
Old 05-08-12, 08:07 PM

Guiltripped is on a distinguished road

Funny you guys mention those things as ADHD related.. Both my father and I are light sleepers basically cause our brain is always generating ideas. I don't know if this has to do with perfectionism and being over productive but our REM sleep is even affected, his perhaps worse than mine. He's been found diving over my mom "into the river" and kicking her. We both cannot fall asleep if our head can't get cooled with the routine of turning our pillows. We both have scoliosis which may explain any frequent tossing. I've personally never gotten that violent with my dreams but have often cried for help/yelled or grabbed a light bulb from the "ceiling". I am also aggitated while I sleep. Does this make any sense to you guys?
Old 05-09-12, 04:22 PM

RK1987 is on a distinguished road

I don't know if I would call it insomnia or not, but I generally tend to only get about 5 hours of sleep a night.

Does anyone else experience this? I mean I don't feel tired or anything the next day, I can wake up with the alarm clock without hitting snooze and generally get up and ready for my day without any issues.

Should I consider getting more? I mean I could go to bed and lay down, but I know that I would just end up laying there for a few hours. I would rather be productive and doing something until I know I am ready to go to sleep.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RK1987 For This Useful Post:
sangeeta (09-22-12), Sculo21 (07-16-12)
Old 05-16-12, 08:03 PM

reflection08 is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Sleeping/Insomnia Forum

I too have suffered with insomnia my whole life. When I was about 7 or 8 my aunt told my mom to give me Benadryl and I've been taking Tylenol Pm my entire life. 2 a night has always worked most of the time up until about 3 years ago. I just could not sleep anymore and would end up taking 7 or 8 throughout the night in the hopes that I would eventually fall asleep, which I would never do. Anyway, it got do bad that I would be up for days with no sleep and eventually go to the doctor. I've had samples of ambien, which did nothing for me, topamax, temazapam and trazodone. I only took the topamax for a month and a half because it started to mess up my eyes and the trazodone left me feeling like I hadn't slept at all. The temazapam works but I'm still kinda hungover in the morning. The thing is, none of these things by themselves get me to sleep anyway. I still have to take Tylenol pm too. Does anyone have any suggestions I could mention to my doc that might make me sleep without having to take the Tylenol pm too? Also, when she prescribed all of the medicines she wanted me to take them without the Tylenol and was pretty sure I would be able to sleep with just the prescription meds. She does know that I'm still taking the Tylenol because they didn't work without it.
Old 06-15-12, 03:41 PM

logitech is on a distinguished road

I notice stimulant medication makes insomnia worse. Taking Ambien once in a while helps. Using willpower is really effective too. Make sure not to take Ambien more than 2 nights in a row, or else tolerance will develop.
The Following User Says Thank You to logitech For This Useful Post:
Sculo21 (07-16-12)
Old 08-28-12, 01:17 PM
Jr Member

steveno1570 is on a distinguished road
Re: Insomnia

I was startled to learn that sleepiness and tiredness are separate. When my doc and I found the correct mix of meds (buproprion and amitriptyline) for my insomnia, it was accidental.
About a week into the combination of meds, at bed time one night I found my self very tired 'normal' and very sleepy 'weird'
The next night was the same as was the third. I was starting to worry that I was experiencing yet another health issue until the fourth night I finally figured out your are supposed to get sleepy at bedtime!

Sorry the point is, make sure your Doctor understands that you have two different conditions.
Being tired
and
Not being sleepy
Good luck=)

Last edited by steveno1570; 08-28-12 at 01:20 PM.. Reason: wrong header mispelled words
Old 09-01-12, 11:05 AM
Committee Member

GreatArtistJosh has a spectacular aura aboutGreatArtistJosh has a spectacular aura about
Re: This Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi88 View Post
I find it hard to get to sleep, even when I'm etremely tired I can lay awake all night and be awake all day, and still not be able to get to sleep the next night. I found that playing classical music as I try to sleep sometimes helps me, but other times I'll just lay awake and listen to the music. Also if I know that I have to get up early the next morning for an appointment, there is no hope of me getting to sleep,and I get aggravated with myself and count down the hours until I have to get up. Does anyone else have that problem?
I always have this Problem. If I'm not sleeping for a few hours a night I mostly stay awake take my meds end up crashing the next day.

ADD/ADHD
20mg x 2 per day Adderall
Old 09-30-12, 03:53 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

jackrussell will become famous soon enough
Re: Insomnia

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveno1570 View Post
About a week into the combination of meds, at bed time one night I found my self very tired 'normal' and very sleepy 'weird'
The next night was the same as was the third. I was starting to worry that I was experiencing yet another health issue until the fourth night I finally figured out your are supposed to get sleepy at bedtime!
This is one of the things I noticed when I first started taking Ritalin. I was explaining to a friend how, if I took my afternoon medication at the proper time, I felt quite sleepy and drained at the end of the day, around 10 at night.

When she said "most people feel this way," I felt surprised, then sheepish. I'd never really felt sleepy at night before.
Old 10-19-12, 02:13 AM

aquariu32 has a spectacular aura aboutaquariu32 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutelildeadbear View Post
OMG!!!! So wait I'm new to this whole ADD thing and still doing research. I had the most awful experience with a psychiatrist yesterday who told me that I am not ADD, but rather that I don't get enough sleep. I told her that even though I go to bed early and have every intention of getting lots of sleep, sometimes I wake up for no reason, or sometimes it is just really hard to go to sleep. When I was little I used to count the little dahes on my alarm clock (you know on digital clocks the numbers are made up of dashes, at least mine was) but now I don't do that. I wonder why I stopped. Anyway, I wake up at night and sometimes I wake up really early in the morning and can't get back to sleep this happened last night. So, that doctor made me feel like this was all my fault!!! She said that people who don't get enough sleep often exhibit signs of ADD when they don't in fact have it. When I do sleep though, nothing can wake me up. I don't hear anything and I sleep really deep. It is like my mind is racing, but I'm not thinking about anything. Does that even make sense. God I never make sense these days. My head hurts.
YES!! Your post is spot on. I keep waking up in the middle of the night. Usually 1,3 and 5 o'clock. While I was inbetween prescription refills (2 weeks) I took ambien before bed to see if it would help me focus the next day and be less grogy. Now that I have the adderall again I won't take a sleep aid at night. I woke up at 1 this morning with a horrible feeling of dread and panic and two hours later decided to take some nyquil to fall asleep.
Old 11-18-12, 11:25 PM
Forum Guru

AshT is a splendid one to beholdAshT is a splendid one to beholdAshT is a splendid one to beholdAshT is a splendid one to beholdAshT is a splendid one to beholdAshT is a splendid one to beholdAshT is a splendid one to beholdAshT is a splendid one to behold

why cant i see posts?