ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Sleeping
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-09, 10:50 AM
Jr Member

shellbell is on a distinguished road
Re: Sleeping/Insomnia Forum

I now have to post here grrrrr!, I have had one heck of a time getting to sleep at night ,my mind is still in go mode but my body is telling me I need to sleep.Last night was terrible I was up until 2:30 I just could not sleep for anything...and I had to get up at 7:00 am to get the kids ready for school.I am dragging butt today but there is no way I can nap even with the kids gone and the house to myself .Any suggestions?
Old 03-12-09, 11:25 AM
Forum ADDvocate

cwatca will become famous soon enough

On weekdays I get only about 6 hours of sleep and on weekends, I get about 1 hour or 2 more and sometimes I'll nap
Old 03-20-09, 05:31 PM
Jr Member

Seragilo is on a distinguished road

You have got to be kidding me?

Are you people for real? Someone pinch me....

It will take me a while to read over the posts but I would like to say thanks....thanks for being here ya sleepyheads!

I have been dealing with chronic insomnia all my life. Sure some folks do not need much sleep, but when you are a walking zombie half the time I would say there is an issue. I have so many questions to ask but I will see what I can come up with in past posts.

Thanks again!
Seragilo

Last edited by EYEFORGOT; 03-21-09 at 09:01 AM.. Reason: moved question to own thread
The Following User Says Thank You to Seragilo For This Useful Post:
DeafNova (10-22-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-09, 05:20 AM

dololly will become famous soon enough

Briebird,

I have the same problem with Serquel. Start taking Serquel around 7:30pm. Before you take Serquel, set your alarm for an hour before you have to get up and see how that works. Serquel will strictly knock you out for the count and you will have the worst time waking up the next morning. I started taking my Serquel around 7:30 and I pass out sometime between 8 and 8:30 and I wake up at 5:30am. Part of me likes taking it at 7:30, the other hates it because I want to do things after work other than sleep.

I wish I could get a happy medium myself and this may be as close as I can to be to one.

I would either take 25 mg or a quarter of the 50mg pill. Try taking it earlier and see if that works, if not, go see your doctor about it.
Old 04-27-09, 11:14 AM
Jr Member

phenom_the_spaz is on a distinguished road

My Dr. and I recently discussed some medical conference he went to a couple of months ago where he was introduced to new research going on now with more and more institutions taking on adult ADHD patient's in their studies in an effort to understand how ADHD symtoms manifest as a person moves through life's stages, from child to adult ... some of it involves the link between ADHD and sleep issues!

This is a great article called ADHD Sleep Advice -- End Bedtime Battles! by William Dodson, M.D.

For me, I've been having sleep issues for as long as I can remember. When I was a kid, I would hide a flashlight in my room so that I could read in bed at night without my Mom knowing! Or, I would creep to the top of the stairs and listen to whatever she was watching on TV and let my imagination run wild with the sounds.

Through my college years, I thought that I had kicked my issues with sleep in the butt, but I think they were just numbed from all the studying, working, and partying I was doing at the time. As soon as I graduated, moved 450+ miles away, and starting working full time, my love-hate relationship with sleep crept back into my life over the course of a year or so.

Sometimes, I struggle with pulling myself away from whatever it is that I'm doing in order to get myself ready and into bed by a decent hour. Once I'm in bed, no matter how tired I might be, my brain just won't stop buzzing with thoughts, worries, voices, questions, etc. When (and sometimes, if) I fall asleep, it's usually a restless sleep until the wee hours of the morning. Then, I'm dead to the world and often hit the snooze button for an hour before getting up. Most mornings, I'm a zombie until I get my meds and morning coffee in me.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to phenom_the_spaz For This Useful Post:
APSJ (04-27-09), DeafNova (10-22-12), diced (01-10-11), Jade Sea (02-01-11), matt6974 (05-26-14), zoneout (04-04-10)
Old 06-09-09, 08:37 PM
ADDvanced Member

Stefan will become famous soon enough
Re: This Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi88 View Post
I find it hard to get to sleep, even when I'm etremely tired I can lay awake all night and be awake all day, and still not be able to get to sleep the next night. I found that playing classical music as I try to sleep sometimes helps me, but other times I'll just lay awake and listen to the music. Also if I know that I have to get up early the next morning for an appointment, there is no hope of me getting to sleep,and I get aggravated with myself and count down the hours until I have to get up. Does anyone else have that problem?
+

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmac View Post
I'm up since yesterday morning at 7 (after 5 hrs of sleep that night).

I'm debating going to sleep for a couple of hours before I have to get up and go to work today.

I kinda want to just stay up, but I know I need to sleep.

My former wife also couldn't understand my propensity for staying up all night long, sometimes two nights in a row.
I do that less now.

Still, I fall asleep rapidly once I do lay down (mostly reported to me by my former wife... she, on the other hand, says she never falls asleep as fast as I do/did).

The other problem is my sensitive hearing.
I can hear people talking outside down at street level.
It wakes me up sometimes and I cannot go back to sleep until they either shut up or leave the area.
Again.. My former wife didn't have the same issue I did. I'd sit bolt upright in bed awoken by the voices, and sometimes my sitting up would wake her up.
She'd ask me what was wrong, I'd tell her there were people outside on the street talking, she'd say, "I don't hear anything!", then go back to sleep.
I'd get up, walk to the front of the house and watch out the window and sure enough, someone would come strolling by on the street and they would be the one(s) I had heard from my bedroom.

The other thing someone mentioned was the issue about their dog licking?
UGH! That's one reason I do not have pets of my own... those tiny, repetitive, obnoxious sounds they make that drive me NUTS!

I'm not mad at the animal, but every time they make their sound over-and-over again... just makes me more tense and irritated.

I can't sleep with earplugs in... I really don't like that.

I found a meditation app for my ipod touch.
It has soft soothing background music, and a lady's soft voice walking me through a calming exercise.
I put on my headphones and this really does help me sleep better... when I use it.

Okay... I've decided... it's now 0225 and I have to be at work at 0600.
I need to be up by 0500 so I can get ready.
I'll stop now and go to sleep for a couple of hours.

I figure that'll give you all a chance to put up a whole slew of interesting posts and threads so I can read them later!

Goodnight!
=

ME

------------------

everything is already said so perfectly, especially the part about voices and noises outside the home, like people, vehicles..etc
Old 06-09-09, 08:54 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,266 Times in 1,840 Posts
doiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond repute

In the past,and most probably in the future aswell,everytime i have started a new job (plastering/physical labour)i,m very anxious about it,the actual work itself,and especially the people.....then i'll lay awake all night,trying to sleep(as if i were trying too hard),and as soon as my alarm goes off or its getting to 'getting up time'.....i'm instantly tired or i'd fall asleep(most of the time i would go and be a drone all day(nearly forgot to add that!))--------what's that all about-how would i have explained that to anyone especially an employer/client........I/you just cant.
It was made worse because if i had a tired day i'd be pushed as if it were a normal....i,m not a fan of that-all they'd need was a whip.....had to storm off a few times because did'nt trust my temper at the time to stick around.

On a lighter note-I know.....its a nightmare x
Old 06-09-09, 08:59 PM

doiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond repute

p.s-when i do sleep i sleeeeeeeep ......as in i need 12 of them bad-boys
Old 06-21-09, 06:22 PM

kro7208 is on a distinguished road

I too have issues falling asleep...Generally once I get to sleep I stay asleep. I am taking vyvanse 50 mg in the am, and fluoxetine 10mg in the am, I take dexerdrine 5mg at noon and an hour before bed to help me sleep...
Old 06-26-09, 08:08 AM

I have just woken up from sleep paralysis i hate it.....i dont want to stay like that/this.
it is a living nightmare!!!!!!!
Old 07-09-09, 12:14 AM

DaydreamBeliver is on a distinguished road

Found this article on insomnia to be interesting, but I wonder if the person who starts talking about delayed sleep phase syndrome took something I personally found significant into account. I have delayed phase of sleep syndrome, but it gradually developed in High School/College when I developed a habit of pulling all nighters because things were simply quieter, and there were fewer distractions late at night, making it easier to pay attention and study. Could part of the link between ADHD and delayed phase of sleep syndrome be the fact that people with ADHD may find late nights an easier time to simply concentrate on things? Eventually their internal clocks get messed up because of this?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaydreamBeliver For This Useful Post:
mentalfloss (08-26-11), zoneout (04-04-10)
Old 08-11-09, 01:06 PM

zsazsa has a spectacular aura aboutzsazsa has a spectacular aura about

I've always had sleep issues meaning I take 2 to 3 hours to settle down enough to finally drift off to sleep and then I wake up over and over all through the night. Around 3:30 to 4:30 I finally fall to sleep but my alarm clock rings at 5:30! By that time, I can barely get my eyes to open up since I've finally gone into the deep sleep phase.

I'm new to using meds after finally getting a correct diagnosis. My pdoc told me that my sleep patterns are typical of many ADHD people (hurrah, I'm not the only one) and CAN/MUST be treated. First he wants to work on getting a good fit with the meds to assist with the attentional issues but then plan is to attack the sleep issues.

He explained that he has been using some of the stim meds to treat the sleep issues with success. The thinking is- calm the racing mind/brain and the body can relax/sleep. As I've been browsing the internet, I've found some articles by some of the leading experts that discussed and support this thinking. I never worried about the possible side-effect of 'sleeplessness' caused by the meds since it had always been a problem for me (yep, even as a baby, never slept!, nearly drove my mom crazy).

I've seen posts on this forum in a couple of places where people have said they have accidently discovered on their own, that taking a dose of their meds late one time actually allowed them to get to sleep much quicker than they ever had!

The pdoc says the stim meds don't work this way for all people and then again, some of them work better than others (just like our different responses to all meds). He says if one plan of attack doesn't work, he moves onto the next plan. He mentioned briefly 3 different ways he tries to address the sleep problems of his patients because it was an important aspect of care. Sure glad I finally found an MD on my side!
The Following User Says Thank You to zsazsa For This Useful Post:
mentalfloss (08-26-11)
Old 08-12-09, 04:12 PM

mmt78 will become famous soon enough

I find it very difficult to sleep in general. I have a hard time falling asleep and if I do I have a hard time staying asleep. But I find that the less sleep I get the better I feel. If I have a good nights sleep then I tend to feel tired and run down all day. I don't get it. As much as I hate not being able to sleep (mainly because I hate just laying there) I don't mind the way that I feel when I don't sleep well.
Old 08-23-09, 10:45 PM

Blood-Phoenix has a spectacular aura aboutBlood-Phoenix has a spectacular aura about
Exclamation Re: Sleeping/Insomnia Forum

Hello all.
For me, the issue usually isn't falling asleep...its trying not to.
I have actually fallen asleep while writing in a note-book on the bus...and
had my arm continue moving all the way down the page and onto my WHITE pants, leaving a trail of unintelligible scribblings that ruined them.
I have, in fact, fallen asleep while talking...in the middle of a sentence.

No, I don't have narcolepsy...I was only extremely tired because I didn't know at that point that I had sleep apnea, and I wasn't yet on any treatment for it. Most of the time, I'm so over-tired that I don't have any trouble falling asleep, usually, I'm asleep almost as soon as my head hits the pillow. There are rare nights when for whatever reason I'm not able to make my mind stop racing, and it can occur that no matter how tired I am, I will still lay there for hours.

Due to the apnea, my sleep is broken up many times a night by brief interruptions in my breathing. They are not enough to bring me to full consciousness, but I do come out of deeper stages of sleep, like REM.
I have a CPAP machine that I wear, which regulates my breathing, and helps, but its not entirely effective. Various things will happen, like me getting up in the middle of the night to walk like a zombie into the bathroom, and then not put the mask back on when I return to bed.
Or I'll take it off in my sleep for some reason, or whatever.

My wife is so much like some of you: the tiniest sound will wake her. This last January, she kept hearing this odd rustling-tinkling sound in the living room that woke her up. She went out to investigate. You'll never guess...our Christmas tree was still up, and she was hearing the sound of dry needles falling off the tree!!! So naturally, I wake her constantly.
If I don't have my mask on I snore, if I do have it on, the machine makes a constant humming and respiration sound. I also move around a lot in my sleep. The end result is that we've reached a point where we just can't get any sleep if we're in the same bed. So I have had to sleep either on the couch or on an inflatable mattress, far enough from the bedroom so that the noise from my CPAP doesn't wake her. This is an improvement over not being able to use the machine, but its not very comfortable, so I still wind up not getting good quality sleep. My sleep is also often disrupted by back-pain, sciattica, or heart-burn from GERD.

So basically, I'm tired most of the time. When I was still working, I would always fall asleep on the bus, and bolting suddenly awake in that initial moment of confusion I wouldn't be able to remember if I was on my way to work or on my way home...I would feel just as tired at the start of the day as I did at the end.

I also have this weird thing that goes on when I'm asleep...it has a name but I can't remember what it is. Its kind of like the opposite of the sleep paralysis some of you describe. Most peoples body shuts down when they're asleep (and mine does too, most of the time). If you dream that you're playing a piano, you don't usually move your fingers in your sleep, right? Some of the time, I will physically act out what I'm dreaming about
in just such a manner. If I'm eating, I'll raise an invisible sandwhich to my mouth and "chew", if I'm running my legs will move around under the blankets. If anyone knows the name of this, and if its ever been shown to be connected to any other co-existing conditions, please share...

As I said, not always, but some of the time, and I have no idea why. Predictably, this drives my wife NUTS. I've kicked her while walking or running in my dreams, but the absolute worst one was when I had a nightmare in which I was jumped by three muggers and was fighting for my life. I actually hit her in my sleep! I felt horrible (I do right now just talking about)...I'm not the sort to hit anyone under normal circumstances, and had never struck a spouse while conscious. That had a lot to do with us sleeping apart.

ADD (inattentive)
Epilepsy
Depression (seratonin deficiency)
Sleep Apnea
Acute Leukemia survivor
Old 11-04-09, 02:43 PM
Jr Member

jumping is on a distinguished road

To fall asleep is the one of the most difficult tasks in the world...honestly