ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Exercise and Nutrition > Nutrition
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-19, 03:15 PM
ADDvanced Member

Billy79 is on a distinguished road
Carnivore diet and ADD

I don’t know how well known or tried the carnivore diet is in this community. I’ve been more or less on this diet for a year, and thing has improved. However, I have become super sensitive to my ritalin, and now I just get tired or feel anxiety.
Im not able to get anything av value done as of now. (A root cause to my depression)

So, Im going to stop meds for 30 days to see if something happens. I hear praises all over for going carnivore, people list energy, clarity and happiness as some of the outcomes.(check out Dr Shawn Baker, or the blog «Don’t eat that»if you are interested.) I will be posting updates, and this give me accountabilty, in the sense Im less inclined to fall into the temptation to «fix» things with my meds.

Im kind of desparate in need of a sollution. Yeah. U know how that goes.

I will be posting most days, I hope.

Male, 40 years, mild depression, chronic muscle pain, inatentive ADD..currently unemployed..
Old 09-12-19, 06:11 AM

Clavius78 is on a distinguished road
Re: Carnivore diet and ADD

This is very interesting. Do you have any sources explanations as to why this diet would benefit us?
Old 09-13-19, 08:10 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,606 Times in 2,420 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

You're better off looking at a ketogenic diet. You need veggies for fibre.

If you can get your brain running on ketones instead of glucose you will avoid sugar highs and lows and have a constant supply of fuel.

If you eat too much protein your body will convert it into carbs via a process called glucogenesis.

As a start just eat real food. Make sure the meat you eat is grass fed organic.

I've been researching this for years. Also have a read of SB's thread about the solution to disease and suffering (The latest one in the scientific discussions section I think)
20thcenturyfox (10-22-19)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-19, 05:54 AM

Clavius78 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorose View Post
You're better off looking at a ketogenic diet. You need veggies for fibre.

If you can get your brain running on ketones instead of glucose you will avoid sugar highs and lows and have a constant supply of fuel.

If you eat too much protein your body will convert it into carbs via a process called glucogenesis.

As a start just eat real food. Make sure the meat you eat is grass fed organic.

I've been researching this for years. Also have a read of SB's thread about the solution to disease and suffering (The latest one in the scientific discussions section I think)
I did the keto diet for a full year. It made my ADD symptoms worse. Not only that, it also messed with my testosterone level. Normally it is medium/high, but on keto it dropped like a stone and gave me issues. Since quitting keto it rose up fast again to it's normal level.

Hopfully OP will respond.
Old 10-03-19, 08:35 PM
ADDvanced Member

Billy79 is on a distinguished road

Sorry for late respond. Well, my project was going full carnivore and no meds, but this time I didn’t have the patience to follow through. I’m mostly keto now, I was for sure keto a whole week, and didn’t do much for me. Maybe I need to do it in a much longer time so the body and brain can addapt. I felt pretty good, zero anxiety, but Im chasing the deep focus so I can do my work, and without meds that has noe yet been possible.
How the diet Correlates with meds is a huge topic, and everyone must find what works for them.
Now my base is meat, fish, dairy, fatty products, and some sweet potatoes and stuff.
As to all the sources, check out the names in the opening post. Lots of stuff on twitter. And testimonials on «don’t eat that» I’m not going further into the spesifics if carnivore here I think, the other places I mentioned is better I think. Eating to much protein and going into glucogeneis, I have never heard of. Being afraid of to much protein is a misstep and non issue my view. Listen to your body, it says how much protein you need, its hard to overeat.
I will mention though, all over Im seeing more and more science backing up the healt benefits of meat, even processed meat, also all the animal fat is good for us, and good for the brain. And fibre, it doesn’t seem that we need that, my bm and digest has been easy and flawless on carnivore. (as everyone else it seems too, perhaps on the biggest positive changes for most people) On meds, maybe thats another case.
Old 10-22-19, 03:28 PM
Contributor

20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light
Maybe Your Body Speaks Norwegian...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy79 View Post
Eating to much protein and going into glucogeneis, I have never heard of. Being afraid of to much protein is a misstep and non issue my view. Listen to your body, it says how much protein you need, its hard to overeat.
I will mention though, all over Im seeing more and more science backing up the healt benefits of meat, even processed meat, also all the animal fat is good for us, and good for the brain. And fibre, it doesn’t seem that we need that, my bm and digest has been easy and flawless on carnivore. (as everyone else it seems too, perhaps on the biggest positive changes for most people) On meds, maybe thats another case.
Americans (at least many of them) have been overeating protein for years, and their bodies never say a word. If you're healthy, the body just processes the excess as carbohydrate and your kidneys are able to handle the acid end-products. No harm, no foul.

But if you have kidney disease (which is likely if you keep overeating protein) the body still doesn't complain about excess protein...it just quietly gets worse until the kidneys can no longer clear the acid end-products of too much protein, your blood pH falls, and you sink into metabolic acidosis and eventually require dialysis or a transplant.

The amount of protein a person requires is based on muscle mass and activity. Current US recommendations IIRC are .8g to 1.2g per kg of body weight per day. I would have to check on the European equivalents, but they will be similar. In fact the Europeans are doing a lot of work right now on dietary acid load and "Potential Renal Acid Load" (PRAL). Bottom line: you need a lot of veggies to balance the acid load from animal proteins such as meat, fish, and dairy.

You want to see the science? Maybe on a day when I have more time.