ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-19, 05:45 PM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 16,095 Times in 7,986 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute
How to NOT quit hobbies?

So I jump head first into hobbies.
They become my world! I absolutely love them! I even start to get decent at some of them sometimes.
Then usually pretty quickly...I quit altogether as if the hobby never meant a thing to me. All the motivation and momentum just vanishes.
There's usually something that triggers this...most times it's because I'm hard on myself and get disappointed in my lack of progress.

I've talked with others here on the forums who struggle with this as well.

Any tips on how not to quit? It can be so hard to keep going when I start feeling that momentum slowing. I have a hard time keeping myself motivated when I don't feel like I'm making progress.

I'm in a hobby that I've gone overboard on (yo-yoing lol)...but over the last couple of months I've been feeling myself going through the same loop and I'm afraid I'm going to quit.
And that makes me really sad. Cause I really want to stick with this one! I love this one.

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

The Following User Says Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
namazu (10-18-19)
Old 10-18-19, 06:32 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 21,479 Times in 10,839 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to NOT quit hobbies?

It's OK to set a hobby aside for a while and come back to it (weeks, or months, or years) later (or never)!

As long as you're not spending yourself into debt with each new all-encompassing fascination, there's really no problem with taking up a hobby and setting it back down again. Sure, there are some people who stick with one or two or three primary hobbies their whole lives, there are some people who get really good at things, and there are some people whose identities are tied to their hobbies.

But hobbies are things we do to play, to explore, to learn, to grow. They're not shackles on our time/interest. (And your yo-yos won't hold it against you if you put them back in their cases and put them on a shelf in your closet -- or sell them, or give them to someone else who will get joy out of using them, or display them as ornaments on your Christmas tree.)

I'm mostly a dabbler, myself. I've enjoyed everything from woodworking to calligraphy to furniture refinishing to family history to gardening to playing guitar to collecting [various things] to writing poetry (much of it terrible) to graphic design to insect photography to metal sculpture to... Anyway, some of things I've stuck with, some I'm really good at (others not so much!), some I keep meaning to get back to (like the half-finished furniture in my basement), some I actually do get back to (after years and years), and some I'm OK simply having experienced.

This doesn't so much answer your question as...question your question. Why is it important to you not to quit a hobby? What would it mean to you to quit, or to keep at it?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
Daniel1970 (10-19-19), psychopathetic (10-18-19), Traveler5 (10-24-19)
Old 10-18-19, 08:07 PM

psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Nam-Nams

I do agree with you here. Hobbies should be there for enjoyment...to enrich your life. Not to shackle you down (love your use of the word shackle here!).
And I also agree that it's okay to take breaks from your hobbies...or to move on from them and find new things to venture into.

But...

Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post
This doesn't so much answer your question as...question your question. Why is it important to you not to quit a hobby? What would it mean to you to quit, or to keep at it?
I'd just LOVE to stick with a hobby for once. I've always wanted to get decent at something...and yoing has been a passion of mine for a very long time (I use to play in the early 2000's as well). It's very skill intensive and can be very rewarding.
I seem to always move on from my hobbies sooner than I wish I would.
I feel like if I can just push through and stick with things...apply some self discipline and continue through my doubts and frustrations...I can absolutely break through in time and get pretty decent at this.
And that would mean the world to me! To actually be good at something that takes a lot of dedication and skill.

It would fulfill a lifetime longing. To be good at something.
It's a major goal of mine. Towards the top of my bucket list.
And I think it'd be a big boost to my self-esteem. I'd prove to myself that I CAN hold on...I can push through, I am strong enough.

Not sure if I'm making sense. I think I am...but I'm pretty tired.

It feels important to me. To stick to something. To not quit. To push myself and to hold on through the frustrating bits.

Quote:
As long as you're not spending yourself into debt with each new all-encompassing fascination
Yeah...so about that...

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

namazu (10-18-19)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-19, 08:25 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Makes sense to me!

(Based on the video you posted a while back, you already seem like you have some impressive moves!)

So, as to the "how", then... I may not be the best person to answer that!

I will say that I have worked out* every day for the past 200-something days (I kind of lost track because I spilled soup on my old laptop and lost the file, but have been keeping track since then on the back of an envelope, literally...), not always because I really felt like it (I usually don't!), but because I was determined not to break my streak.

So I guess "gamifying" it in that way -- challenging myself to keep my streak going -- has helped some. Also knowing that if I stop without a very, very good reason, it will be really easy for me to backslide and come up with excuses on future occasions.

I don't know if "gamifying" it would work for you -- challenging yourself to practice some number of days in a row (and possibly rewarding yourself if you do it). But it's a thought. From someone with a pretty dismal track record of keeping up anything that really required practice.

P.S. Sweet case o' yo-yos!

*Sometimes just for 5 minutes, though I aim for 25-30. But I figure something is better than nothing. And it lets me keep my streak going!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
eclectic beagle (11-09-19), psychopathetic (10-18-19)
Old 10-18-19, 08:36 PM

Quote:
(Based on the video you posted a while back, you already seem like you have some impressive moves!)

Quote:
I will say that I have worked out every day for the past 200-something day

Quote:
I don't know if "gamifying" it would work for you -- challenging yourself to practice some number of days in a row (and possibly rewarding yourself if you do it). But it's a thought.
This absolutely works for me. In fact...this is part of the reason I think I've lost a lot of my momentum. As you said...

Quote:
Also knowing that if I stop without a very, very good reason, it will be really easy for me to backslide and come up with excuses on future occasions.
I had something like 20 weeks of daily practice (I keep a log book and each day I practice a certain number of each trick) under my belt...missing very few of those days in all those weeks.
Then I went to go visit my dad and stopped practicing. Got back from the trip and ended up in the hospital. Then had a chronic gout attack that's lasted over 2 weeks now (wasn't able to stand).
In the last 2 months I've done very little daily practice and it's messed me all sorts of up.

I did start my log back up and plan on doing daily practicing again though today. I'm finally able to stand and walk for short periods of time!

Thanks Namsy!

(((((((Namsy-Nams)))))))

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

namazu (10-18-19)
Old 10-18-19, 08:51 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

So glad to hear your foot is recovering. (Whew!)

I still have to do my workout for tonight (usually work out around midnight, which is...weird, but works for me).

Let me know when you've done your yo'ing for the day!
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (10-21-19)
Old 10-18-19, 09:04 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

BOINK!!! Hahaha. Love it.
Old 10-19-19, 01:58 AM
ADDvanced Member

benito is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopathetic View Post
So I jump head first into hobbies.
They become my world! I absolutely love them! I even start to get decent at some of them sometimes.
Then usually pretty quickly...I quit altogether as if the hobby never meant a thing to me. All the motivation and momentum just vanishes.
There's usually something that triggers this...most times it's because I'm hard on myself and get disappointed in my lack of progress.

I've talked with others here on the forums who struggle with this as well.

Any tips on how not to quit? It can be so hard to keep going when I start feeling that momentum slowing. I have a hard time keeping myself motivated when I don't feel like I'm making progress.

I'm in a hobby that I've gone overboard on (yo-yoing lol)...but over the last couple of months I've been feeling myself going through the same loop and I'm afraid I'm going to quit.
And that makes me really sad. Cause I really want to stick with this one! I love this one.
Psycho, I think that meeting people with the same hobbies can help you. If you are happy practicing yo-yo right now, could you see if there is anyone else who practices the same thing in your city? This would be an external motivation that would help you a lot.

I mean staying with other people with equal hobbies. Many times we have little will for ourselves to perform the activities we like, but when you stay with another person you are forced to do them.

A big hug
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benito For This Useful Post:
namazu (10-19-19), psychopathetic (10-21-19)
Old 10-19-19, 01:45 PM
Contributor

Daniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to behold

I think if you need "motivation" to do something, you're not going to stick to it. You have to have "inspiration", you have to wake up every day dying to do it.

Maybe you're not the type of person to stick to things with discipline and get really good at them. A lot of strengths and linked with weaknesses, and if you try to "pound out" or change the weakness, you might lose the corresponding strength. SO maybe don't try to change yourself and accept yourself as you are, which is a dabbler who enjoys trying new things for a time.

I'm sure there's something you stick with, probably your job, because otherwise you'd be homeless and couldn't afford the laptop you're using to post here. So you ARE able to stick to something, just not your hobbies. They're just hobbies, they're just for fun. So unless you're pondering a career change, I would just say "yes" to who you are and not see it as a fault and let it go at that.

D.

Be yourself, and the rest will follow.

Breathing is not optional. - Dr. Raymond Wertheim

What do you care what other people think? - Arline Feynman, to her husband, American physicist Richard P. Feynman

D.
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel1970 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-19, 08:50 PM

O2back is on a distinguished road

I have had several interests, short hobbies, that if I don't keep doing them daily, I lose the interest I had to begin with. Not enough dopamine to start it up again, on to the next new thing. Some version of past hobbies has happened. Easier with an immediate reward and to see progress towards it. Fooling myself with a treat to accomplish anything won't work, I can just get the treat now. My mind is best suited for short projects or the element of possible surprise...looking for coins, on and off. I can't imagine one hobby.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to O2back For This Useful Post:
namazu (10-20-19), psychopathetic (10-21-19)
Old 10-20-19, 07:29 AM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 23,840 Times in 14,101 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute

There is nothing wrong with hopping between hobbies, psycho, hobbies are there for you to enjoy, its not a jail sentence "you MUST do this hobby for this length of time or else"
Ebony (1st January 2014 - 2nd March 2018)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
Willow (3rd November 2018 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to midnightstar For This Useful Post:
Daniel1970 (10-21-19), psychopathetic (10-21-19)
Old 10-21-19, 08:43 AM

I do get where you guys are coming from.

And yet...I don't know.
I've always wanted to stick with something for once. And I think that's okay.
I get that hobbies are for fun and they shouldn't burden me.

But I get sick of 'moving on' from all the hobbies I ever get into.
Maybe I'm looking for something more than just a hobby?

I want something to push my boundaries..to be difficult. I want something that requires self discipline and inner strength. Something that becomes so difficult that I just want to quit.
But then if I don't quit...if I just hold on...I'll make a break through with it. That if I keep working at it without quitting, I will eventually get pretty decent at.

Like learning to play an instrument. Or a new language.
These things are very difficult and require a ton of self discipline. You really need to stick with them to get any good at it. To push your way through all the times where you feel frustrated about your lack of progress. Or when you feel like you keep slamming up against a wall and you can't progress anymore.

I want this.
I want something difficult. I want something that will make me want to quit time and again. Something that can get super frustrating.
But I also want to not give up.
That's the part I struggle with.
I just wish I for once wouldn't quit .

I get that hobbies are for fun and it's okay to move around from hobby to hobby and all that.

But I want more dang it! I don't want to keep moving around from hobby to hobby. Been doing that my whole life.
I want to actually stick to something.

I'm just trying to figure out how to stop the cycle I've been in for so long and I'm not quite sure how yet.

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

namazu (10-21-19)
Old 10-21-19, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightstar View Post
its not a jail sentence "you MUST do this hobby for this length of time or else"
But I kind of want something like this to be honest.
I mean...not to that extreme of course...
But something that requires a lot of me to stick with. That pushes all my patience when the going gets rough.
Something that I do chain myself to...that I do expect myself to hold on to even when it's stopped being fun and pleasurable.
Because I know that in the end...all my persistence and all my strength to keep with it will be very rewarding because I'll eventually get pretty good at whatever it is.

It's like someone who's super out of shape deciding to start exercising.
It's going to suck. It's going to be painful. They're going to want to quit. Over and over again.
But if only they keep at it...if they don't throw in the white towel and give up...they'll actually start losing weight and getting in shape.
They'll be super uncomfortable and will be pushed hard...but the end results would be SUPER rewarding.
Especially because they know how much hard work they put into it.

I really just want to stick to something dang it.

I have a whole mountain's worth of hobbies I've moved on from. A lifetime full of them!
I dream of figuring out a way to actually hold on to one of them long enough to let myself get decent at it. I get SO sick of diving into things...then quitting before I really allow myself to get good at it.

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

namazu (10-21-19)
Old 10-21-19, 10:23 AM
Contrapunctual Moderator

So, have you practiced yo-yoing today?
Old 10-21-19, 12:27 PM

Quote:
So, have you practiced yo-yoing today?
Oh yes Ever since I've been able to stand on my 2 feet again a few days ago Ive been back at it...and in fact I had a pretty major break through 2 days ago (I realized that I was subconsciously telling myself I could never do some of the amazing tricks I was watching others do...and that kind of thinking was completely stopping me from progressing. I wasn't even trying to do new things because I was telling myself I couldn't...so why even bother? After the realization, I've realized that I absolutely CAN do these things. Like how ridiculous it is to think that I never can! Of course I can!! It'll just take time and practice. I might not be able to pull these things off right now today, but I sure as heck can get there!).

This realization has really re-energized me for this hobby. Been working on a pretty cool combo now too that even just a week ago I would've told myself I couldn't do.

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
Daniel1970 (10-21-19), namazu (10-21-19)