ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-27-18, 03:27 PM
andiemarie andiemarie is offline
Jr Member
 

Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts
andiemarie is on a distinguished road
Prozac at age six??

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone out there has tried anti depressant to help with ADHD? My six year old son is on 25mg of strattera now, and has tried stimulants but neither seem to be helping much. The stimulants were making him aggressive, more anxious, emotional and he won't eat much at all. The strattera he has been on six months but we are not sure that it's helping if at all. He seems a little more focussed but he doesn't eat much and he gets nauseous from the strattera so I'm not sure it's worth it.

He has been really struggling socially, he is anxious and feeling like he has no friends and is not able to get along with other kids as he is very sensitive and really behind socially on how to handle conflict and how to communicate his feelings so he does things to bother other kids as a way to cope or get attention?
He can be socially awkward at times when he's feeling inadequate, or he can be mean to other kids he feels he is superior than or that annoy him almost like a bully.

He tells me when he is vulnerable he hates his life and wishes he had more friend s that liked him and he feels like he doesn't belong and knows he's different because he gets in trouble a lot and has a assistant with him in school, that other kids make fun of him really hurts him. That sometimes he is mean because it makes him feel better.

The psychiatrist we are seeing suggested that his is anxious and maybe we could try prozac this summer when he is off school. This really hit me that ADHD might not be the issue here and I am now very worried about him having depression and anxiety or some sort of mental illness as it is our family.

Does anyone have any experience or advice? I love my son very much and really want to help him anyway I can, just not sure what to do.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to andiemarie For This Useful Post:
peripatetic (04-27-18)
  #2  
Old 04-27-18, 03:54 PM
JakeH99 JakeH99 is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: United States of America
Posts: 54
Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 9 Posts
JakeH99 is on a distinguished road
Re: Prozac at age six??

I didn't start ADHD meds and SSRI's til 17. I cannot imagine being 6 years old and going through that. I would probably have not made it through school on Straterra and/or Prozac. I would reccomend like Ritalin maybe but only that and I would not advise Prozac but something like Lexapro or a neuromodulator like Trintellix/Viibryd. I would also highly recommend avoiding benzo's and sedatives, but maybe try Hydroxyzine/Melatonin at bedtime. I've had ADHD and OCD since age 7 so I get it, but looking back I was not ready for meds until 17, and it is super young to be dealing with side-effects if you can find a way of avoiding that. I'm not saying 6 is too early for your son, but just be super careful with the meds and following the doc because it's a very young age obviously and I just want the best for you and your child since I have been on over 30+ medicines by age 23, and the whole process has been the worst time of my life.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-27-18, 05:23 PM
Lunacie's Avatar
Lunacie Lunacie is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: south-central Kansas
Posts: 18,851
Thanks: 19,727
Thanked 25,391 Times in 11,798 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Prozac at age six??

My granddaughter has autism and extreme anxiety.

She was started on a mood stabilizer, Risperidone, at age 7 or 8.
Could have used it sooner.

Unfortunately there is some diabetes on her dad's side and that med led to
type 2 diabetes.

For the last several years she has taken Lexapro and has been a much happier
kiddo, less anxious.

Can't imagine her life without it poor kid.
__________________
ADD is not a problem of knowing what to do; it is a problem of doing what you know.
-RUSSELL A. BARKLEY, PH.D.


As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #4  
Old 04-30-18, 01:42 PM
Caco3girl Caco3girl is offline
ADDvanced Contributor
 

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: atlanta
Posts: 629
Thanks: 77
Thanked 618 Times in 362 Posts
Caco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to all
Re: Prozac at age six??

My 8 year old is on 20mg ritalin XR, we also tried 30 but her teachers said she was too focused, okay back down to 20.

The thing about the meds is that it isn't going to fix the social issues. Please understand that. Also, at that age you find that all kids are awkward. Perhaps some social classes would be the better way to do this.

Both depression and ADHD are due to an imbalance in the brain. It's not a far stretch to say he has both, many do.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-01-18, 12:54 AM
ryanolivas ryanolivas is offline
Jr Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: US
Posts: 19
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
ryanolivas is on a distinguished road
Re: Prozac at age six??

Yes, Anti-depressants are drugs that fight depression and is helpful for those who are diagnosed with adhd. Meds alone won't work, you have to include advices and comfort because family approach matters the most.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-01-18, 03:43 AM
CharlesH CharlesH is offline
Contributor
 

Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 454
Thanks: 88
Thanked 265 Times in 178 Posts
CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all
Re: Prozac at age six??

Quote:
Originally Posted by andiemarie View Post
The psychiatrist we are seeing suggested that his is anxious and maybe we could try prozac this summer when he is off school. This really hit me that ADHD might not be the issue here and I am now very worried about him having depression and anxiety or some sort of mental illness as it is our family.
ADHD is a neurodevelopmental disorder, which means the kid has it 24/7, every day of his life. On the other hand, anxiety and depression can often be situational.

So if your son's attention difficulties only arise in situations in which he is anxious/depressed, then he doesn't have ADHD.

But if your son always has attention problems, even in situations in which he is not feeling anxious or depressed, then he has ADHD.

He could also have both ADHD and depression.

SSRIs treat anxiety and depression. They do *NOT* treat ADHD. I just wanted to get that clear since other people seem to be suggesting otherwise.

Btw, based on how you describe your son's reaction to the Strattera, it doesn't seem to me that it's worth keeping him on it. But that's just my read on it. Strattera tends to be one of the least effective ADHD meds out there and tends to have the most side effects. It's main benefit is that it's not a controlled substance.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-01-18, 12:08 PM
Lunacie's Avatar
Lunacie Lunacie is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: south-central Kansas
Posts: 18,851
Thanks: 19,727
Thanked 25,391 Times in 11,798 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Prozac at age six??

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
ADHD is a neurodevelopmental disorder, which means the kid has it 24/7, every day of his life. On the other hand, anxiety and depression can often be situational.

So if your son's attention difficulties only arise in situations in which he is anxious/depressed, then he doesn't have ADHD.

But if your son always has attention problems, even in situations in which he is not feeling anxious or depressed, then he has ADHD.

He could also have both ADHD and depression.

SSRIs treat anxiety and depression. They do *NOT* treat ADHD. I just wanted to get that clear since other people seem to be suggesting otherwise.

Btw, based on how you describe your son's reaction to the Strattera, it doesn't seem to me that it's worth keeping him on it. But that's just my read on it. Strattera tends to be one of the least effective ADHD meds out there and tends to have the most side effects. It's main benefit is that it's not a controlled substance.
Actually, anxiety and depression are often comorbid with adhd, and if they last
longer than a few days, they are neurological just like adhd (not situational).

I myself was very clear that my granddaughter does not have adhd, but does
have severe anxiety along with her autism. I was not suggesting otherwise.

I do agree that Strattera seems to be the least effective medication for adhd,
maybe because it's not a stimulant.
__________________
ADD is not a problem of knowing what to do; it is a problem of doing what you know.
-RUSSELL A. BARKLEY, PH.D.


As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
CharlesH (05-01-18)
  #8  
Old 05-01-18, 02:49 PM
CharlesH CharlesH is offline
Contributor
 

Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 454
Thanks: 88
Thanked 265 Times in 178 Posts
CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all
Re: Prozac at age six??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
Actually, anxiety and depression are often comorbid with adhd, and if they last
longer than a few days, they are neurological just like adhd (not situational).

I myself was very clear that my granddaughter does not have adhd, but does
have severe anxiety along with her autism. I was not suggesting otherwise.

I do agree that Strattera seems to be the least effective medication for adhd,
maybe because it's not a stimulant.
I wasn't referring specifically to your post. What I meant to say is that SSRIs can be helpful for people with comorbid depression/anxiety and ADHD. But SSRIs don't directly treat ADHD.

Yes, depression/anxiety can certainly be neurological, but sometimes it's not. Whereas ADHD is always neurodevelopmental by DSM definition.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-01-18, 03:47 PM
Lunacie's Avatar
Lunacie Lunacie is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: south-central Kansas
Posts: 18,851
Thanks: 19,727
Thanked 25,391 Times in 11,798 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Prozac at age six??

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
I wasn't referring specifically to your post. What I meant to say is that SSRIs can be helpful for people with comorbid depression/anxiety and ADHD. But SSRIs don't directly treat ADHD.

Yes, depression/anxiety can certainly be neurological, but sometimes it's not. Whereas ADHD is always neurodevelopmental by DSM definition.
Only three responses have been about the antidepressants.
There was no way to know which you referred to, or which you didn't.

Thanks for the clarification on SSRI's being helpful for chronic, comorbid
anxiety and depression, but not for ADHD alone.

Sometimes treating the adhd will allieviate the anxiety or depression.
But treating the anxiety or depression does not treat adhd if it is present.

Also, treating the adhd doesn't always alleviate the anxiety/depression
and meds for those cases can be very helpful.

Those with adhd are very-very likely to have one or more comorbid disorders.
This is from the Psychiatric Times:
Anxiety Disorders and ADHD: Comorbidity the Rule, Not the Exception

Quote:
Among the patients with ADHD, 93% had two or more comorbid psychiatric disorders, including major depression, dysthymic disorder, bipolar disorder, PTSD, panic disorder, and GAD.
I knew it was over 50% just to have GAD along with adhd, but the overall
numbers are even higher than I realized.
__________________
ADD is not a problem of knowing what to do; it is a problem of doing what you know.
-RUSSELL A. BARKLEY, PH.D.


As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
CharlesH (05-01-18), ToneTone (05-13-18)
  #10  
Old 05-06-18, 05:24 AM
sarahsweets's Avatar
sarahsweets sarahsweets is offline
Mod-A-holic
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: nj, usa
Posts: 26,846
Thanks: 5,652
Thanked 31,212 Times in 14,319 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Prozac at age six??

People can be A-holes when it comes to kids and meds. My son is 22 now but was diagnosed with adhd at age 3.5 and began meds at age 4. Now, this was years ago way before adhd was as much understood and way before people even considered young kids and meds. ( if you want to read my story about him head over to the sticky threads of this sections and read my long post).

People told me boys will be boys. That I was a bad parent. That I wanted pills to manage his behavior because I was too lazy, that I should spank him, that I needed to make him fear me and his Dad, that I didnt teach him enough respect. He was also on other medications to treat depression and anxiety as he got a little older. These meds saved his life. I could go on and on about his success now but I swear..his generation is very apathetic but he will change the world someday- he is very proactive and in tune with the world.

Let go of age as the parameters and focus on the child.Did you know that stratterra is basically an antidepressant? That it was meant to treat depression and sort of by accident that company saw it had an affect on adhd and received approval and marketed it as the "non-stimulant" treatment for adhd? So your son may be benefiting in some way from the antidepressant parts of stratterra but it isnt enough. He needs something thoroughly studied and KNOWN for treating depression. Once that is in check stimulants might be the way to go.

I am bipolar II and I had to reign that s*it in before I could treat adhd. I take antidepressants and mood stabilizers along with adderall and dexedrine.
The meds saved my life and getting sober made me a different, better person and kept me from dying and I would not be the same(or even alive) without them.
I would have had a different life had I been medicated when I was younger. I am *gulp* 43 now and wasnt medicated until my 20's but had signs of bipolar when I was young and went full steam ahead with it when I turned 16.
__________________
President of the No F's given society.

I carried a watermelon?
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (05-06-18)
  #11  
Old 05-10-18, 01:39 AM
natnatroswell22 natnatroswell22 is offline
Jr Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: US
Posts: 18
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
natnatroswell22 is on a distinguished road
Re: Prozac at age six??

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
People can be A-holes when it comes to kids and meds. My son is 22 now but was diagnosed with adhd at age 3.5 and began meds at age 4. Now, this was years ago way before adhd was as much understood and way before people even considered young kids and meds. ( if you want to read my story about him head over to the sticky threads of this sections and read my long post).

People told me boys will be boys. That I was a bad parent. That I wanted pills to manage his behavior because I was too lazy, that I should spank him, that I needed to make him fear me and his Dad, that I didnt teach him enough respect. He was also on other medications to treat depression and anxiety as he got a little older. These meds saved his life. I could go on and on about his success now but I swear..his generation is very apathetic but he will change the world someday- he is very proactive and in tune with the world.

Let go of age as the parameters and focus on the child.Did you know that stratterra is basically an antidepressant? That it was meant to treat depression and sort of by accident that company saw it had an affect on adhd and received approval and marketed it as the "non-stimulant" treatment for adhd? So your son may be benefiting in some way from the antidepressant parts of stratterra but it isnt enough. He needs something thoroughly studied and KNOWN for treating depression. Once that is in check stimulants might be the way to go.

I am bipolar II and I had to reign that s*it in before I could treat adhd. I take antidepressants and mood stabilizers along with adderall and dexedrine.
The meds saved my life and getting sober made me a different, better person and kept me from dying and I would not be the same(or even alive) without them.
I would have had a different life had I been medicated when I was younger. I am *gulp* 43 now and wasnt medicated until my 20's but had signs of bipolar when I was young and went full steam ahead with it when I turned 16.
I agree with your opinion sarah. The meds should be thorough to which it targets the depression.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prozac "Poop Out" or Hypomania?? Help! Twinz Bipolar 1 05-11-11 02:38 AM
adding prozac to adhd meds hollywood Anti-Depressants 13 01-25-11 10:22 AM
Just started Prozac, I'm on the fence. Share your Prozac stories/experience. Bipolarruledout Anti-Depressants 0 10-17-10 05:13 PM
Prozac! LoveSoCal06 Adderall 0 05-09-10 02:16 PM
Put on Prozac vssjayden Medications for Co-Existing Conditions 0 04-08-10 07:43 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) 2003 - 2015 ADD Forums