ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Misc Treatments and Approaches
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-17, 11:27 AM
Contributor

baical will become famous soon enough
why the stimulatory neurotransmitter glutamate is less talked about?

since the stimulatory neurotransmitters are norepinephrine and glutamate, does that mean glutamatergic drugs MAY have potential in actually treating ADHD? Usually glutamatergic drugs are PCP, Ketamine and DXM, etc. These are no more "dangerous" than amphetamines if only it were studied well and prescribed well. I think glutamatergic drugs needs to be looked into as treatment for ADHD. Sometimes one may not respond well to norepinephrine but respond better to glutamatergic drugs.

Amphetamines are 50/50 dopaminergic and norepinephrinergic from what I understand. Norepinephrine is what gives the stimulant effect. Glutamatergic drugs need a closer look! Ketamine seem to be leading the pack if anyone's been following its progress. DXM is pretty much cough syrup over the counter.
The Following User Says Thank You to baical For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-15-17)
Old 03-15-17, 11:56 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 10,253 Times in 4,557 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: why the stimulatory neurotransmitter glutamate is less talked about?

This assumes the neurotransmitter theory of disorders is correct.

That’s a huge assumption, and not one that is going to be proven any time soon.

That said, your question is certainly one of merit.

Thanks,
Ian
Old 03-15-17, 01:22 PM
Secret Squirrel!! Moderator

Thanked 12,832 Times in 5,189 Posts
TygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond repute

The short answer is yes, they do.

Cholinergic drugs (aka those that target nicotinic receptors) have been studied with regards to their effectiveness in treating ADHD. Potter and Newhouse have been the leaders, but there are other researchers as well.

Glutaminergic such as Namenda and other Alzheimer's drugs have also been studied. I don't think any one of those drugs by themselves have proven to be as efficacious as stimulants by themselves, but the research is beginning to come out.

http://psychnews.psychiatryonline.or.../pn.38.22.0025

"being lost,/ being crazy maybe/ is not so bad/ if you can be/ that way/ undisturbed."
Charles Bukowski
The Following User Says Thank You to TygerSan For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-15-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-17, 03:15 PM
Contributor

It's been looked at for depression possibly:

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-s...drug-to-people

I think "depression" is a more marketable term and can "cross-over" rather than just ADHD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeon View Post
This assumes the neurotransmitter theory of disorders is correct.

That’s a huge assumption, and not one that is going to be proven any time soon.

That said, your question is certainly one of merit.

Thanks,
Ian
Old 03-22-17, 03:19 PM
Contributor

Maybe if they make Nameda stimulating it could work possibly? I don't get why it's not stimulatory when it's glutaminergic?

Maybe ADHD is complicated according to this article from cheatsheet.com called "10 Conditions That Look Like ADHD, but Are Actually Something Else":
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Peirano
  1. Bipolar Disorder
  2. Epilepsy
  3. Anxiety
  4. Thyroid Conditions
  5. Sensory Processing Disorder
  6. Sleep Conditions
  7. Central Auditory Processing Disorder
  8. Asperger Syndrome
  9. Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
  10. Depression

Some of these 10 conditions I think seem to be treated well with amphetamines as far as I'm concerned. My OCD, anxiety, and depression seem to have been taken care of with Dexedrine especially when I get a good night's sleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerSan View Post
The short answer is yes, they do.

Cholinergic drugs (aka those that target nicotinic receptors) have been studied with regards to their effectiveness in treating ADHD. Potter and Newhouse have been the leaders, but there are other researchers as well.

Glutaminergic such as Namenda and other Alzheimer's drugs have also been studied. I don't think any one of those drugs by themselves have proven to be as efficacious as stimulants by themselves, but the research is beginning to come out.

http://psychnews.psychiatryonline.or.../pn.38.22.0025

Last edited by namazu; 03-22-17 at 03:30 PM.. Reason: removed link to commercial website (prohibited by ADDF guidelines)