ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 09-28-04, 09:30 PM

cualexander is on a distinguished road
half of my adderall was stolen today

A friend of mine who lives across the street called me today and said that he noticed my door was open. I asked him if he would check it out and he checked it out and said everything looked ok, but then he said he saw my adderall bottle on my counter and that it was empty. Well I had about 15 XR 20 mg pills left, which was exactly the right amount to get me to the next appointment, but now they are gone. The messed up part about it is, I think my friend who called me about it is the one who took them. I have no conclusive proof, but his roommate's adderall came up missing a couple of months ago, another one of our friends mysteriously lost his adderall when this same guy was at his place, and now mine is gone. It really ****es me off because this guy is one of those friends who always bums money and says I'll pay you back soon, but soon never comes around. I don't know what I can do about the situation. I've talked to all his friends and they all think that he did it. So I was all hopped up on Adderall and then this happened and I kinda lost it because the come down was way too fast. I also had a valium prescription too, and thats gone now as well.

The worst part about it was that I tried to call my psychiatrist to ask him what I can do to get me by until the next appointment, and the receptionist was very rude to me and said that he didn't have time to talk to me. She asked me what the problem was and I told her I would just rather speak to my doctor because he knows what is going on with me. She said he would call me back but he never did. I'm just so stressed out right now because I can't believe this guy would do this to me, and he keeps saying he is going to help me find who did it, but all the signs point to him. I can't file a police report, I mean I have no evidence. I hate life right now....
Old 09-28-04, 09:35 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Tara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to all
Have you reported it to the police? Even if you have no evidence this is something they should know.
Old 09-28-04, 09:41 PM

Well I mean nothing was disturbed except my pills and I just don't want to deal with the police. I have major anxiety and Police just add to that, and I really need my valiums right now and what made me the maddest I guess is that my doctor's receptionist was just really rude to me and caused me even more stress during this time. I told her it was an emergency and I needed to talk to my doctor and he never called back.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-04, 12:55 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Gregster has a spectacular aura aboutGregster has a spectacular aura about
You should report it to the police. The guy knows you take them, so he may come back again when you fill your next prescription - a police report may prevent that?
You might also need a police report to get a new prescription - Doctors may be wary of people claiming to have drugs lost or stolen and may not replace them without a police report.
It might have made a difference with regards to talking to the doctor if you had told the receptionist what had happened.
In the future you should get a better lock on the door, keep your medications in a secure place, and be careful who knows you take Adderall - a full month's scrip could be worth as much as $1500 on the street
Old 09-30-04, 09:34 PM

I love my doctor. I was all stressed for nothing. He said the receptionist was a ***** and he wrote me two new scripts for Adderall. He was like, yeah here's my cell. Give me a call if you ever need anything. He asked me exactly what dosage I wanted and just gave it to me. Its great.
Old 09-30-04, 11:30 PM
Contributor

gingagirl will become famous soon enough
I believe my neighbor is an alcoholic and his brother visited me recently & hinted that he (my neighbor) may have a drug problem too. He is always borrowing money, then not paying it back. I recently made the mistake of letting him know I was on meds for ADD. He said he thinks he's got ADD too, and asked to try my meds! I trust my neighbor though ...hopefully my trust isn't misguided.

Glad you got the script. My psychiatrist's receptionist is a real witch too.

I still think you should notify the police. The only way for drug addicts to get better is for them to experience consequences to their actions. My best friend is a recovering drug addict. I still remember how horrible it was when she was using ...she was very good at convincing me that everything was fine, that someone else had done her wrong, that she just needed a few dollars to get by. I never knew she was stealing syringes from me (I'm diabetic - her drug of choice was heroin). When I realized the extent of her drug problem, it was easier to recognize the lies and to stand firm. After being thru numerous rehab programs, being arrested & being homeless, she finally managed to turn her life around. She's got 7 years clean now, is happily married and is expecting her first baby in November .

You could contact the police and not mention your suspicions about your neighbor ...they would probably want to talk to him since he was the first person in your place after the missing Adderal was discovered. Having to talk to the police should at least be a strong "reality check" for him.

"They call me lazy, but it takes all my time..." -- Joe Walsh
"The absence of evidence is NOT evidence of absence." -- unknown
The Following User Says Thank You to gingagirl For This Useful Post:
think.pink (05-25-14)
Old 07-10-09, 12:26 PM
ADDvanced Member

Gina has much to be proud ofGina has much to be proud ofGina has much to be proud ofGina has much to be proud ofGina has much to be proud ofGina has much to be proud ofGina has much to be proud ofGina has much to be proud ofGina has much to be proud ofGina has much to be proud of
Re: half of my adderall was stolen today

Quote:
Originally Posted by cualexander View Post
I love my doctor. I was all stressed for nothing. He said the receptionist was a ***** and he wrote me two new scripts for Adderall. He was like, yeah here's my cell. Give me a call if you ever need anything. He asked me exactly what dosage I wanted and just gave it to me. Its great.
I'm glad it worked out.

But, you know, you mentioned being "hopped up" on Adderall and you sound dependent on the Valium.

It's just possible that Adderall is not the right medication for you. It could be exacerbating your anxiety, as it's known to commonly do.

Many people taking the stimulants will also need a serotonin-targeting medication (e.g. SSRI antidepressants) to balance the dopamine action in the brain (which can backsuppress serotonin). And some people do much better on one of the extended-release stimulants (Concerta, Vyvanse, Daytrana) because the start-stop is much more gradual.

If I were you, I'd talk to my doctor about revisiting the Rx.

good luck,
Gina

“This isn't hair; these are nerve ends.” -- Phyllis Diller
The Following User Says Thank You to Gina For This Useful Post:
Jade Sea (07-08-11)
Old 07-11-09, 12:35 AM
Contributor

Grey Kameleon has a spectacular aura aboutGrey Kameleon has a spectacular aura about

I've heard that the patient can sometimes be blamed if the thief gets caught. I had the bottle stolen and I didn't report it. After he got caught the next semester, I got to thinking I might have been blamed because my name was on the bottle.

Dx: ADHD-PI (possible misdiagnosis), Anxiety Disorder NOS.

Rx: Just ran out.
Old 07-11-09, 09:07 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,468 Times in 641 Posts
FinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
A friend of mine who lives across the street called me today and said that he noticed my door was open. I asked him if he would check it out and he checked it out and said everything looked ok, but then he said he saw my adderall bottle on my counter and that it was empty. Well I had about 15 XR 20 mg pills left, which was exactly the right amount to get me to the next appointment, but now they are gone.
First, I'm glad you were able to get emergency replacements....sounds like a good doc, just try not to dip into the well too many times.

Second, I would keep my script as far away from that person as possible. Why would someone call you to say your door was open, and of all things notice that an empty Adderall prescription bottle was on the counter? I would be checking the house to see if other stuff is missing, not noticing a bottle on the counter. Add into the the fact that the thief stole the pills but LEFT the bottle?? Makes no sense to me.....all roads lead to Rome as they say, or in this case....all fingers point to him.

Lastly.....why does he hang around with so many people who are prescribed Adderall?? Is it just for the opportunity to steal meds?

Put a safe distance between yourself and him.....and if it happens again, call the police and drop his name. If they question him, it may just scare the bejesus out of him and he'll knock it off.

Good luck!
Imnapl (07-11-09), think.pink (05-25-14)
Old 07-12-09, 02:50 AM
Jr Member

iliveinsalemor is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: half of my adderall was stolen today

REPORT! REPORT! REPORT!

I don't make many posts but reading this was painful! OBVIOUSLY this dude stole your pills and you have WAY too many excuses to let him off.

NO ONE! (ok maybe someone somewhere) would call to say your door was open. They would shut it and call you or tell you later. Seriously, what would you do?

The person that said "... left the bottle" Amen to ya'
Your neighbor knows your nice guy and is treating you like a moron. DON'T BE! There is no way that your pills were stolen from your house with NOTHING else gone AND the bottle left there! No way! Nothing about that make ANY sense. Your neighbor had a plan to craft a story where the pills were not stolen by him.

I know because I used to steal other peoples pills, no one up to any good is scoping out your meds, what you got prescribed, etc... I do not know anybody that pays attention to pill bottles other than addicts and they zoom in on those orange bottles fast!

A younger me would be envious of your friend and jealous that he made out, this sounds like something a younger me would have done. You need to file a police report, make it known that you did, act like you KNOW he broke into your stole your medication, is taking them to get high and put you through a lotta BS to get yourself BACK on track med schedule wise. He is not your friend and doesn't act like so you don't either
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iliveinsalemor For This Useful Post:
FinallyAnswered (07-12-09), think.pink (05-25-14)
Old 07-12-09, 06:24 PM

cunanse is on a distinguished road

Too easy, my friend. Tell the cops it was him as he has historically asked you for pills in the past. Cops know the ways of addicts and will likely scare the crap out of him and it won't happen again. Granted, the dude will hate you after that, but he doesn't sound like someone whose friendship or respect is worth a spit in a rainstorm.
The Following User Says Thank You to cunanse For This Useful Post:
think.pink (05-25-14)
Old 07-14-09, 09:43 AM
Forum Guru

Old School MBD has a spectacular aura aboutOld School MBD has a spectacular aura about

I too was left 5 days short after somebody "helped themselves"

But I came to the conlcusion to not panic, because I went from ages 16 to 40 unmedicated, so I figured I would be ok...........(but I did **** off a couple of friends un medicated....they will get over it!

luckily, I had the DR split up my script into 2 scripts for the month, because I did not want to pay $300.00 right away. So I had my second script on standby, otherwise the damage might have been worse.

That is something you might want to request of your DR for your next script (check with insurance if ok if you have it)

That way you dont have a lot on hand at any one time.
Old 07-14-09, 10:37 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,468 Times in 641 Posts
FinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
That is something you might want to request of your DR for your next script (check with insurance if ok if you have it)
Insurance companies will usually go along with it....if you get two weeks' supply, they'll allow a refill after the two weeks. They actually benefit because you'll wind up paying two co-pays for a month's supply instead of one.

When I was insured, that would have been an extra $50 per month.......cheaper to lock up the meds and find new friends....lol
Old 07-14-09, 11:54 AM
Forum Guru

Old School MBD has a spectacular aura aboutOld School MBD has a spectacular aura about

Yes...............Med lockup, and are they really friends or fiends, this has been a dilema of mine for years................ I am WAY too nice and generous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
think.pink (05-25-14)
Old 07-14-09, 12:30 PM
Jr Member

tama is on a distinguished road

I would confront my friend about it first. He could have a real problem (with any drug) and be in a situation where stealing the pills makes sense to him. Everyone has issues to work through and this doesn't necessarily mean he's just stealing them because he thinks you're an easy target (while that still could be the case). It's possible he'll own up to it when he realizes you caught on and that you might cut off the friendship. If you act caring and concerned maybe you could help him overcome his problem. If he denies it and just gets defensive, or if he won't give you the pills back, it sucks but you should tell the police. Better to just do it than try to explain to a judge how your friend across the street happened to come by all those meds. I can see that you do not like being off the medication so why risk losing the meds because of something stupid your neighbor did with them? If the police talk to him (just tell them how he was the one to report the open door.. their job is to investigate this and see him as a possible suspect) and they still have no evidence then move on and lock away your meds in the future. At least you will be covered should anything come back to you. Hope it works out!