ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Sleeping
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-11, 02:48 AM
Contributor

dopestep is just really nicedopestep is just really nicedopestep is just really nicedopestep is just really nice
Restless Leg Syndrome

i used to watch tv and laugh when i saw the commercials about RLS, or restless leg syndrome. it sounded like the most ridiculous condition to me.... until around the time i started researching adhd i discovered that i also have RLS. turns out theres a much greater risk of RLS for people with adhd.

anyone else have this annoying condition?
Old 12-13-11, 02:59 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,445 Times in 1,333 Posts
CheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud of
Re: Restless Leg Syndrome

I was wondering about that today actually. I couldn't decide if it's just because I'm fidgety in general or something else! I don't really get it while I try to sleep though, like I don't wake up with it. I do rub my feet together when I fall asleep, but nothing really fidgety.
Old 12-13-11, 03:05 AM
Contributor

dopestep is just really nicedopestep is just really nicedopestep is just really nicedopestep is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheekyMonkey View Post
I was wondering about that today actually. I couldn't decide if it's just because I'm fidgety in general or something else! I don't really get it while I try to sleep though, like I don't wake up with it. I do rub my feet together when I fall asleep, but nothing really fidgety.
i do the same thing with my feet when im trying to sleep. also i dont wake up with it either but once i get up and sit at my desk my legs start bouncing almost immediately

basically if you stop doing that and get an uncomfortable feeling like when you have the urge to scratch an itch then its probably RLS.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-11, 03:14 AM
The Social Committee LIVES

Thanked 17,698 Times in 8,875 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute

I have it too.

It started about 2 1/2 years ago (age 27)... I take Klonopin for anxiety and I found that this medication eased the symptoms.

The RLS exacerbated at the beginning of this year (age 28.5) and is now not controllable with any of the meds I am presently on.

There is a tablet out there specifically for RLS. I forget its name. Wiki and Google are your friends.

"I think David Archuleta's picture is starting to annoy me." - BellaVita

"A glass of water is healthier than a glass of vodka - but you don't substitute one for the other." - aeon

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 12-13-11, 03:24 AM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Thanked 17,469 Times in 8,768 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation

My mom swears the old wive's tale of putting a cake of ivory soap under the sheets at her leg area helps ease her pain - doesn't stop it, but said the relief is definitely noticable. Anyone ever tried that?
Old 12-13-11, 03:25 AM
The Social Committee LIVES

Thanked 17,698 Times in 8,875 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute

??? RLS is not painful.

"I think David Archuleta's picture is starting to annoy me." - BellaVita

"A glass of water is healthier than a glass of vodka - but you don't substitute one for the other." - aeon

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 12-13-11, 03:31 AM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Thanked 17,469 Times in 8,768 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation

Hmmm....I don't know Abs. She may have misunderstood the doc if they were discussing RLS and leg cramps at the same time. I came across this after I posted my other message:

http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2005/...oap-under-the/
Old 12-13-11, 08:34 AM
Jr Member

Atheos is on a distinguished road

Yes and it can be quite annoying. It feels like electricity running through the nerves of your legs and you have to move to shake it off.
Old 12-13-11, 09:16 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,459 Times in 581 Posts
Kaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond repute

I don't get it in my legs - it's in my left arm, hand, and shoulder. Drives me batty! It's this weird, crawling, hyper-awareness of bizarre discomfort. I'm forever trying to cram my hand between something - usually the mattress and the wall - because pressure seems to help alleviate it. Then, of course, my arm gets cold, because it's an outside wall, or hot, depending on the season.

I described to a friend of mine with Tourette's, and he said it sounded like I was describing the onset of a tic, only it stops before the action becomes involuntary.
Old 12-13-11, 10:48 AM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Thanked 17,965 Times in 8,806 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopestep View Post
anyone else have this annoying condition?
Yes, though I tend to think of it as a manifestation of hyperactivity more than a separate condition -- I have enough labels as it is! For me it also involves my arms, though the legs were what used to keep my significant other up at night...

Exercise and stretching in the evening, followed by a warm shower also help with relaxation and reducing leg stiffness, but they don't make the restlessness go away.

I started taking clonidine for my ADHD and that has helped a lot with this specific problem, as has methylphenidate in the evening.
Old 12-13-11, 03:41 PM

kylebasdeo is on a distinguished road

It might mean your dosage is too high. I had it and then I lowered my dosage and it went away.
Old 12-13-11, 05:16 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylebasdeo View Post
It might mean your dosage is too high. I had it and then I lowered my dosage and it went away.
im not on any medications, ive had hyperactive legs as long as i can remember. i can even remember having this back in elementary school
Old 12-13-11, 08:15 PM
ADDvanced Member

crashbang is on a distinguished road

I have had this occur rarely. Not sure where it stems from, or how to make it stop when it occurs.
Definitely think more research is needed on this condition.