ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 12-08-16, 03:34 PM
Contributor

Caco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of light
Re: New...starting assessment process

I'm glad you found something that works! My son had the stereotypical mood swings and drastic behavior changes and we had to stop Vyvanse on day 2!

There have been several posts on this board about kids that are just hitting puberty and all of a sudden POOF they have acute ADHD. That's the way it happened with my son too. I mean yeah he was forgetful but he hit puberty and it was a whole other level of ADHD. Probably a link in there someway to the hormones.
Old 12-08-16, 04:48 PM

maple17 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caco3girl View Post
I'm glad you found something that works! My son had the stereotypical mood swings and drastic behavior changes and we had to stop Vyvanse on day 2!

There have been several posts on this board about kids that are just hitting puberty and all of a sudden POOF they have acute ADHD. That's the way it happened with my son too. I mean yeah he was forgetful but he hit puberty and it was a whole other level of ADHD. Probably a link in there someway to the hormones.
Yeah, I read all the scary stories re Vyvanse and was waiting for the worst to happen, but thankfully, touch wood, nothing so far. My biggest worry is it losing effectiveness as it seems to work so well for her.

I think the puberty aspect and adhd is a major one for girls. I read it in a few of the books specifically about how the condition impacts girls: something to do with hormones and neurotransmitters. I also read that the effectiveness of her medication might be influenced by the monthly cycle. It makes sense for those of us who had to contend with pregnancy brain, or terrible PMS, or post partum depression...our hormones can really affect our moods and daily functioning. That's probably another reason girls are diagnosed so much later. I know we had a few moments of "how did we miss this," but it's just that the symptoms, although always there, were just not consistent enough or noticeable enough to appear on the radar. We just thought she was a difficult kid to parent. I can see now how it really started to impact her life last year. At least we've gotten her some help before she went into high school and still struggling.
Old 12-26-16, 08:58 PM

We've been having troubles the past few days. Same dose of Vyvanse, but she's really sad and weepy. We're considering taking her off to see if the sadness abates...I know we'll see more meltdowns without the meds, but I'm not sure what else to do. Paeds' office closed until January and it's not an emergency.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-16, 10:54 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,086 Times in 966 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I think your daughter's sadness can constitute an urgent development demanding immediate attention. Her sadness and weaping would be the equivalent of a heart patient having dramatic heart palpitations. That patient should immediately report the palpitations to a doctor, vacation or no vacation.

I think you are in your full rights to put in a call to their doctor's answering service. Your daughter's mental health is important. The doctor will understand.

Just my two cents.

Tone
The Following User Says Thank You to ToneTone For This Useful Post:
maple17 (12-27-16)
Old 12-27-16, 04:00 AM

Thanks so much. I will call them tomorrow. She's been fine all today after the latest bout, but will phone the paediatrician on call to see what they advise. I suppose I didn't see it as a crisis as I've read of much worse that many other parents have to contend with (you know the type of stuff I mean). She's not crying all day or anything, just having random bouts of sadness 1-2x a day that last maybe 10 minutes at a time and then are gone and she perks up and seems okay. This even happens 4 hours post medication time, so it's presumably not a crash. It's something new just over holidays and I bet the typical holiday activities (ie staying up later and eating rubbish) haven't helped either. I ask her what's going on and she says she just feels sad. No particular reason.

I'll see what they say and will post an update.
Old 12-27-16, 06:26 AM

Thanked 26,652 Times in 11,876 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I think it constitutes and emergency. You should at least have them paged to ask if you can stop the meds for a few days.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 12-27-16, 10:24 PM

I did put in a call to her paed's office. Waiting for a callback. She's been fine all last night and today. A bit tired this morning she said, even after 10 hours of sleep.

One of my friends made a valid point when I mentioned this to her. She said, "Wait, but wasn't this sadness and bursting into tears thing what she did every day before meds?" And that is true. Not every single day, but often enough (2-3x a week maybe) that her teachers all remarked upon it and we saw it enough at home too...that a question as simple as "How are you doing?" would make her burst into tears. One of the school secretaries remarked to me before the year ended that whenever my daughter walked into the office during the school year, she always looked so sad. The medication actually seemed to provide her with some stability and eased the anxiety. The meltdowns went down dramatically. The teachers noticed the crying jags stopped. The anxiety related headaches and stomachaches stopped. In fact, it was this week that she mentioned she had a headache and that was the first time since she started the meds that she'd had one. This from a kid who asked for ibuprofen 2x a week before school because of her headaches. I hadn't noticed until I went to get the package and noticed, "Hey, you haven't had a headache in months..."

I'm new to all of this with the meds ups and downs, but knowing my daughter and the situation, I don't think it's as much of an emergency compared to what some of the other families are going through these holidays, so I'm going to wait for the call from the paediatrician and take it from there. She's had a good day so far, eating fine, went to the movies, and we're off swimming this afternoon. I think the sugar over the holidays, lack of routine, and the altered sleep schedules are probably not helping much either. The tween hormones are probably also a big factor, which combined with adhd, are likely contributing to the wobbliness. I remember slamming a lot of doors, screaming, and stomping all over the house at age 12, and I didn't have adhd.

Will keep you posted. Thanks again everyone for the advice and support.

Last edited by maple17; 12-27-16 at 10:37 PM..
Old 12-28-16, 02:51 AM
mod-estly unregulated

Thanked 5,181 Times in 2,862 Posts
someothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond repute

I just wanted to say hi, and wish you calm resolutions. Remember that you also need r&R. Remember that much malay is the norm during these years so the better you can keep yourself and diffuse of common or transient events the better the underlying issues will resolve. Living habits and routine will go a long long way.... if they are two way and meaningful.

Peace, and all the best with it
~ SB_UK ~
The Following User Says Thank You to someothertime For This Useful Post:
maple17 (12-28-16)
Old 12-28-16, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someothertime View Post
I just wanted to say hi, and wish you calm resolutions. Remember that you also need r&R. Remember that much malay is the norm during these years so the better you can keep yourself and diffuse of common or transient events the better the underlying issues will resolve. Living habits and routine will go a long long way.... if they are two way and meaningful.

Peace, and all the best with it
Thank you. It's been smoother sailing today. She had a smile on her face for most of the day, went to the movies, went for a bike ride, and now just to get a healthy dinner into her for the night. One day at a time I guess.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maple17 For This Useful Post:
someothertime (12-28-16), ToneTone (01-01-17)
Old 03-19-17, 09:50 PM

I just thought I'd update. It's been a few months.

My daughter has settled in to grade 7. Her school has been pretty good so far, proactive. They've got the school psychologist and wellbeing coordinator liaising with the other teachers so I don't have to chase each one individually and explain everything over and over. The couple of teachers I did need to communicate with personally (a maths one over a supposed missed assignment and a music teacher over an audition) have been really supportive and kind to her. The maths teacher made an error on the website tracking assignments and after my daughter and I scratched our heads about it ("I thought that was turned in"), I contacted the teacher and she ran over on lunchbreak to apologise to my daughter and assure her that her assignment was turned in and recorded. So, that's the kind of effort from the teachers. It's been great so far.

She's playing in the junior strings orchestra for band. She's been putting herself out there more activity-wise and signing up for events at school that she never would have last year. Her grades are higher. She's even working ahead of the class on some units, so that's fantastic that she feels so motivated and enjoys it.

A couple of wobbly afternoons after the medication wears off. We upped her dose to 20ml (30mg Vyvanse in 30 ml water), and that seems to be going fine, but it's usually out of her system by dinnertime and with band practices and concerts in the evenings, that makes it a bit tougher for her. That's also when we might see a bit of the short fuse at home as well when her frustration tolerance is really low again. We'll discuss it with her paediatrician at the upcoming appointment to see if she recommends any changes to dosing or timing.

And we finally had one of her assessments done: the WIAT-II. She was on a waiting list at school, but they said it would be about 8-9 months before she got in, and she'd be done grade 7 by then, so we went private. We still need the WISC-V done and we'll likely be coughing up for that one too next term. Anyway, she tested high average in almost everything, with an age equivalent of anywhere from 14-16 (she's 12). The two areas she was found to have a bit of trouble were with listening comprehension (average) and pseudoword decoding (average). She's scheduled for an auditory processing test in May. I suspect, and the psychologist agrees, that she might have some auditory processing issues and further evaluation will help determine this. The psychologist made a number of recommendations for the school regarding the type of workspace she needs, how instructions should be presented (small bits of info and ask for clarification), the need for external reminders (checklists, templates) and anything to support her with the working memory and processing issues. And the need to really scaffold the curriculum for her with clear expectations and structure. And the psychologist also picked up on the possible ASD aspect as well, so she's the second professional to mention it and we'll be pursuing that additional diagnosis. It won't do anything in terms of funding or additional support, but will give the teachers that additional information so they are not tough on her for things that are not her fault. Her grade 6 teacher last year was on her case about reading aloud with "more expression" and making more of an effort to be socially engaged with her peers, sigh. Anyway, this first assessment will be used to formulate a learning plan for her. So, we're on our way to making sure she has all the support through school that she needs. I've also set up counselling as well for her starting in May.

So, so far, so good.
Old 03-20-17, 08:52 AM
Registered

Postulate is infamous around these partsPostulate is infamous around these parts

I got 1.8/20 in music when I was 12. My teacher was having very serious convos with me regarding that, as though my life depended on passing her music class, but I had already hooked with the "right" boys in my class to know music was totally irrelevant to passing the grade.

We all recognize ADHD symptoms so now it's a matter of getting her to a psych for a diagnosis and treatment.

Last edited by namazu; 03-20-17 at 11:40 AM..
Old 03-20-17, 07:13 PM

She was diagnosed ADHD by a developmental and behavioural paediatrician six months ago. Just following up on the suspected ASD as well. I mentioned her meds in the previous post, and wouldn't be giving them to her if she were undiagnosed. Not to mention they're so tightly controlled here, you need governmental approval to fill the prescription.

I'm surprised and pleased at how much better she's doing this year compared to last. She's just happier, more content. I can see she's coping better. And the school is supportive and she has all these tools to stay organised (like the app on her phone that lists her classes and assignments due etc.)

She mentioned yesterday she was going to join the anime art club. She's never wanted to join any clubs outside of band.
Old 03-21-17, 10:37 AM
Contributor

Caco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by maple17 View Post
She was diagnosed ADHD by a developmental and behavioural paediatrician six months ago. Just following up on the suspected ASD as well. I mentioned her meds in the previous post, and wouldn't be giving them to her if she were undiagnosed. Not to mention they're so tightly controlled here, you need governmental approval to fill the prescription.

I'm surprised and pleased at how much better she's doing this year compared to last. She's just happier, more content. I can see she's coping better. And the school is supportive and she has all these tools to stay organised (like the app on her phone that lists her classes and assignments due etc.)

She mentioned yesterday she was going to join the anime art club. She's never wanted to join any clubs outside of band.
Sounds like she is really coming out of her shell, I'm very happy for you and her!
The Following User Says Thank You to Caco3girl For This Useful Post:
maple17 (03-21-17)
Old 03-21-17, 06:18 PM

Thanks. I know we're early days yet and still have all of her teens to go through, but I'm just so pleased that she seems happier and is coping much better than last year. That's what matters.