ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Meditation and Spirituality
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-06, 09:15 PM

Color Scheming is on a distinguished road
religion and add?

I got out religon a while ago, because the way i acted (before i knew add) i thought if i couldnt keep myself in line with the threat of hell and jesus watching me i wasnt meant for religion. Well now that i know i have a.d.d Im trying to get back into religion.

Im desperatly trying to control all of my issues(im trying to take care of most my a.d.d problems without medication). But im having a VERY difficult time keeping my self in the path of religion. I get angry too quick i cuss, i ALWAYS want to fight and tell people to f off.

Im starting to think that maybe i really do need the medicine and that all of what im trying to control really isnt gonna work until i get the help of medicine. But in this case, does religion frown upon the medicine?

and if any of you are truly religious do you think god frowns upon the way you acted before medicine? Because i used to be a real Ahole im trying to get better. And i dont like to use a.d.d as an excuse but it makes up a HUGE part of who i am.

oh im christian. Well trying to be christian at least.

any ideas, any one else felt this way? Any help would be great
thank you
take care

For my poetry please visit this thread.

http://www.addforums.com/forums/show...232#post358232

Any Responses either in p.m or in the acutal thread itself would me greatly appreciated.
Old 11-19-06, 10:48 PM
ADDvanced Member

luke is on a distinguished road
Im not of a religion....

But i am a child of god, as we all are...

If something aids you in reaching your highest good, then no one speaking from a point of unconditional love could disagree...

God put us here , to learn our own lessons , and use our best judgement , both learned and guided...

Therefore the question you have to ask , "Is taking medication right for me??"
and feel the answer... if it feels right to you , then its something you should try.. and if it helps you live in more control , then woo hoo, to the world is a better place!!

If you decide to take medication , and once taking it, it doesnt feel right for you, then search down some other avenues...
Old 11-19-06, 11:03 PM
can't remember diddly Moderator

Thanked 6,038 Times in 3,086 Posts
EYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond repute
I, too was very religious, with undiagnosed bipolar and ADD. I was very passionate and zealous. Going to a doctor seemed to me that I lacked faith. I tried everything, prayer, homeopathy, nutrition...

I walked away from my religion for intellectual reasons, though like Luke, still having my own sense of the Divine.

I needed to do better for my family than the depression, temper, and mood swings were effecting them. I gave myself permission, at my husband's encouragement, to seek professional help. There is no cure for either one of these...I was suffering needlessly.

I must confess, for the same intellectual reasons I did not go back to my religion, but I'm still thankful to the Divine for a brain that can use logic and reason things out for one's self. I did make peace with things. I hope that's some comfort to you.

Please read our forum guidelines.
FAQ "How Do I...start here"
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-06, 12:00 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,620 Times in 802 Posts
Michiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond repute
I don't practice Christanity so it's hard to address Christian teachings directly, but I'll share my own understanding of God.

No I don't think God frowns down upon medication. After all, he wants you to get better and medication is a part of that. I suspect the only time medication would be looked upon is if it took away from whatever purpose you were meant for. So if one day you skip your medication.. medication that you know will help you be more understanding, patient, focused..etc. and the darker side of ADD shows through, that's when I think the Almighty would be less than pleased with your actions.

And as for your second question, of course God wouldn't look think badly of the way you acted before you were diagnosed and on medication. Even if you were the biggest jerk that roamed the planet How could you expect to control something you had no knowledge of? Essentially you were fighting a faceless, nameless opponent, and that's not fair.

But now that you know, you need to get the help and support you need and find out what contribution you have to make to the world. And trust me, you do. That's a whole adventure in of itself, but now you can do it more clearly and with much better focus.
Old 11-20-06, 12:44 AM

thank you everyone for your replies. This is something ive been struggling with for a long time, to be religious and to repent and to feel this guilt of knowing its gonna happen again and has hard as i try it just keeps happening, or to go off the trail of religion and live my life the only way i (used) to know how. I have decided when i finally get medical insurrance again(recently quit) that im gonna get on medicine, right now i think its better to be on medicine and live a good life. then to not be on medicine and keep doing things that i wish i wasnt. Granted i know the medicine isnt going to help everything and control is a big part of it. But i think the medicine will give me a good base to start off of.
Thank you everyone for your replies.
take care

Any Responses either in p.m or in the acutal thread itself would me greatly appreciated.
Old 11-20-06, 05:39 PM

EYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond repute
Some advice I received from an older, wiser woman...I was really stressing over a big decision I had to make, I constantly went through the pros and cons and prayed and prayed and had no idea what I thought G-d was showing me. So she reminded me of a verse in Proverbs, "The wisdom of G-d is first pure, then peaceable..." She said there should be a peace about it. At the time, it helped me tremendously.

Old 11-21-06, 08:47 AM

62vetteefp is on a distinguished road
No, God does not look down on anyone that uses meds. God gave us the tools to improve ourselves AND to sin.

Remember the story? A big flood came and a woman got on her roof to get above the flood. She prayed that God would come and make her safe. A guy came by and offered to carry her to safety. She said no, waiting for God. A boat came and she said no, I will wait for God to help me. Then a helicopter came and she said no, God will save me. Well the floods came and took her away. In heaven she asked the Lord why he did not save her. God answered he sent her lots of help but she did not see them. So use the tools God gave us to make ourselves better.

Chris
Old 11-21-06, 02:19 PM

I've always loved that story.

Old 11-22-06, 05:10 AM

jillbug is on a distinguished road
Hi,
I can understand from where you're coming. I've been following Christ for a few years now, and for so long I felt like I was failing God because of my building academic catastrophe. My intense fear, feeling of helplessness and confusion, and lack of control about what was going on led me to sin. Rather than trusting God would deliver me from this, I assumed it was *my fault* despite my best efforts, and so I lied to (unknowingly) keep myself amidst the mess from which I could not pull myself. I was assuming I could do better, that I was just not trying hard enough. After all, I'm smart -- this misery had to be a choice, right?

When I faced flunking out of college this past spring, I finally gave it to God -- and *just* in time. If I had waited until the semester ended, I would have had to reapply to my college and stress out about getting in. Like I needed more things to be concerned about!! I already felt like a confused failure. As soon as I came clean to my parents about my academic record, I felt relief and God laid out his plan in front of me. My parents happened to be talking with a family friend who revealed she knew exactly what was going on, because another girl in her church had almost the exact same situation happen a few years earlier. I arranged to meet this lady (who actually is the one who set my parents up on a blind date 30 years ago! talk about God planning way in advance!) and I met the young woman as well. It all felt like a dream at first - but the repeated explanations and personal experiences I heard about and read got the reality through to me.

I can't really judge the details of how God viewed your behavior before you found out you had ADD... but I do know that regardless of our sin, he cares for us. Christ set us free for freedom (Galatians 5:1). That includes freedom from the pain of ADD, and freedom to embrace its strengths. I truly feel that Christ, who suffered so that we would NOT suffer (because we always have his sacrificial, ultimate love [1 corinthians 13] no matter what we endure on this earth)... I feel Christ was pained to watch me toil in anguish and to see me turn away from him when I lied to my parents. He knew I was only prolonging the inevitable downfall and diagnosis he wanted to give. And when I finally gave in, there he was - still patiently ready to comfort, despite my disobedience. I take Adderall, but I also pray about its positive/negative effects upon me and ask that God point out any changes I need to make. Seeing as I'm still in the process of determining my dosage (I started in mid-September), this is especially important right now. I often wish I was as diligent in my nutritional monitoring as I am in my medication! But that is coming along too...

God's using this entire ADD revelation to show me how he would eat, sleep, exercise and discipline myself if I gave myself completely to him. The only problem with a living sacrifice is that it has the ability to crawl off the altar... so I find myself crawling back on often. But God is amazing like that in his forgiveness and love. He had a feast for the prodigal son who returned (Luke 15). He will always welcome us into his arms no matter how long we have been gone from his house because he created us with purpose. We are not accidents.

As we look for God's purposes in our ADD challenges and gifts, we'll better understand how it affects us. I know at least for me, I have been so humbled by this diagnosis. I was considered empathic by many friends before, but trying to understand this has brought another dimension of compassion and empathy for others who suffer alone and confused, and for the broader challenge of trying to convey a personal struggle to loved ones who simply cannot relate. What God's plans are for my life with this knowledge, I only patiently anticipate. I expect I'll be a counselor of some sort, or potentially a pastor. I feel God growing a passion related to these within me.

I would love to talk with you more about any of this and my broader dialogue with God. I thought I had a strong faith before this -- and my most persistent obstacle to obedience was not understanding the struggles I faced in my classes. Now that God has clarified so much about not just academics but His plan, His ways and His faithful character... I love him even more. And I'm not saying this out of ignorant bliss - I get SO frustrated with myself still, and I'm torn apart sometimes by my parents' misunderstanding of ADD. Life is not peachy in that sense. But just these past few months of God's presence and his clarity motivate me to persevere even when I feel like I'll never improve. Because slowly but surely, I am improving - just in 'kairos' -- God's perfect time... not the time we see ticking on a clock.

I hope this helped. Let me know if you have any questions!
Old 11-22-06, 07:23 AM

Thank you for sharing that heartfelt post jillbug.

Old 11-22-06, 07:31 PM
ADDvanced Member

andecala will become famous soon enough
For Christians Only

Hi Color Scheming,

Like Jillbug, I am a follower of Jesus. My grandfather was a bishop and the Father, Son and Holy Spirit have always been a part of my life.

Christians are allowed to take medicine. Never feel guilty about that. If you had a heart condition, would you be concerned about taking medicine? Don't let someone's ignorrant jugements prevent you from doing what you need to do to be the best child of God that you can be. I take medicine, and I'm not ashamed.

My ADD didn't become a real problem for me or anyone else until I got married. My husband was diagnosed with ADD a few weeks ago, and he is also Christian. We knew that God wanted us to be together, but we couldn't figure out why we were angry and yelled so much.

As a newlywed my ADD got so bad that I sent a threatening email to the Director of Human Resources at work because the new work health insurance didn't include my mental health doctors. The new doctor had me on the wrong meds. After 15 years of service, I was fired three days later for serious misconduct.

Less than a year later, when was five months pregnant when I got fired from my next job for running a co-worker into a wall because he got on my nerves. I had reduced the meds because I was pregnant.

But Jesus bore the burden for those sins and every other sin so that God the Father could call us his children for eternity. [John 3:16-17]

I have recently started reading "The Message" version of the Bible and I love it because it makes the ideas of God's love and plans for us really clear and easy to understand. Every morning I like to read Romans 12 as inspiration for what it really means to act like a follower of Jesus. Let me know if you would like me to send it to you.

The Bible says, no one is good enough to earn the right to go to heaven. We are all sinners. It's is faith in God's gracious and merciful love displayed by his perfect son dying in our place that saves us. God saves us because we can't save ourselves. [Romans 3:9-31]
Old 11-23-06, 09:28 AM

Thank you so much for all of your posts. Its helped a lot, knowing that there are other christians out there who believe in medicine. Because so far all i have heard since telling people, is its all in my head and that the faith of god can help anything.

While yes i believe god can heal most things, and faith will heal a lot. There is no point if i cant keep my own faith in line, and my own personality in line. and open up to god the way i want to, Because i feel like a hypocrite saying i give my life to you, and will walk in your footsteps that you laid out before me, then to turn out and freak out over something or get angry, and lose my cool.

Right now im not getting a.d.d medicine the only thing that helps right now is energy drinks and thats kind of. When i go to new york which will be in december im gonna apply for insurance, i dont have it right now i just quit my job recently AGAIN.

But yes your posts have helped me a lot, and a few pms ive gotten have helped a lot in determining i can put my faith in gods hands and he will accept me as be along with my medicine.
Thanks for everyones posts. They helped a lot.

Old 11-24-06, 01:58 AM

jillbug is on a distinguished road
you're welcome eyeforgot!

andecala -- thanks for sharing that. i too started reading the message, and it has made previously difficult texts (like many in the old testament can seem) more relevant. biblegateway.com is a GREAT resource for getting many translations.

colorscheming -- i pray for the best in your transition to new york, and your trials with meds. remember that faith is a gift.

http://livingtheology.com/Faith.htm ---> Now let us go to the Bible and see if It tells us where faith comes from. Heb 12:2 says "...Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith". And Rom 12:3 says " ... God has allotted to each a measure of faith." These two verses clearly tell us that faith is not something that we do or a presence of mind that we develop, but that faith is a gift from God. Rom 10:17 says " ... faith comes from hearing and hearing by the word of Christ." So faith is a gift from God that we receive from the word of Christ which in this dispensation we get from the Bible rather than from a burning bush. So in His time He will allot faith to us as needed from the word of the Bible. In 2 Cor 10:15 we see that faith can grow, so as we study the Bible God can add to our faith.
Old 12-21-06, 05:09 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

qinkin is a name known to allqinkin is a name known to allqinkin is a name known to allqinkin is a name known to allqinkin is a name known to allqinkin is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Color Scheming

and if any of you are truly religious do you think god frowns upon the way you acted before medicine? Because i used to be a real Ahole
How well do you actually know Him?

OK

[The *Laws of Moses, told the Jewish leaders (they claim) (Book of St. John the Apostle Ch. 7) to stone a woman for adultery]

Pharisees: Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery.

Jesus: If any one of you is w/o sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her.

(those who heard began to leave)

Jesus: Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?

Woman: No one, sir.

Jesus: Then neither do I condemn you, go now and leave your life of sin.
Old 12-21-06, 10:11 PM
Banned

judoplayer is on a distinguished road
well i'm probably an ahole still try to change it's part of life i think any higher being would understand that life has it's journeys we all took the wrong turn. I knew i should've turn that left at alberque it's life.

If you are trying to change your ways forgive yourself and others you will be good keep your head up that's where hevean is. Remember heven and hell are only mental states not a permit fixiture.