ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-09, 11:20 PM

JBPDX will become famous soon enough
I'm confused! LD/IQ assessment worth the effort?

Hello everyone!

I have been in the midst of a debate with myself for several months now, and I don't feel that I'm getting any closer to a conclusion. I am hoping that you guys might be able to shed some light on the situation. My apologies in advance, as this might be long and scattered and probably not even in the correct forum!

I am 24 years old and was diagnosed with ADD earlier this year. I currently attend therapy and take medication. Generally I'm a terrible self observer, but I do feel that therapy and medication have helped me out a lot. I am waiting to see how this semester at school goes to say exactly how much they help!

Before I was diagnosed I did rather terrible in school. I dropped out of high school three times within the first year and a half. I ended up getting a GED, and scored quite well on all of the tests. I tried college at 18 and didn't do any better there than I did in high school. I had not been planning to go back for my sophomore year (I didn't like the school) but it wouldn't have mattered. They gave me the boot for poor grades. I took a year off of school and worked. I then decided to give community college a shot. I am still at the same community college. So far it's been hit and miss. There have been times where I have done very well, and other times where I just barely manage to pass classes. To stress me out even further, I feel that the only reason I was able to achieve some of those C's is because I had an enormous amount of help from my peers. It has been about four years since I started my program and I still don't have a degree. Assuming that I do well from here on out, I should be done with my degree within the next year.

A month ago I finally gathered up the courage to speak with my school's disability resource center about accommodations. After about two minutes in her office she says, "Well, you're very smart!" I can't even remember how in the world that got brought up. I am certain I had not mentioned anything that would indicate that I'm intelligent. The social worker I see about once a month for therapy says the same thing to me nearly every time that I see him. It's been mentioned a couple of times that I may want to look into IQ testing.

For weird reasons, the "you're smart!" comments unsettle me. Most of the time, I don't feel smart. I realize that these people are professionals and deal with a lot of people. I assume they'd have a general idea of how intelligent a person is after speaking with them for awhile. While I have a difficult time wrapping my head around the comments, I also feel awkward for not taking their word for it. Not that I feel I should blindly agree with anything anyone says, but I figure if it has been mentioned by more than a few people that had no previous knowledge (as far as I know) of what anyone else has said regarding the matter, it's probably in my best interest to just shut up and take their word for it.

I asked a different person in my school's disability resource center if she happened to know anything about IQ testing. She gave me the name of someone who occasionally does learning disability assessments on campus for $225. If I understand the process correctly, IQ testing is a part of learning disability assessment. I emailed him and asked a few questions regarding the test. I mentioned learning disability assessment, but I did make it fairly clear I was more interested in getting an IQ score. I got an email back from him today and he said that I should consider testing elsewhere if I was just looking for an IQ score. That makes sense to me. However, should I be looking closer at the disability assessment? Comorbid conditions (especially learning disorders) are common with ADD. I wouldn't be completely surprised if I had a learning disorder. The nice thing about his assessment is that it's much less expensive and I'd be taking out two birds with one stone. I have not replied to the email yet because I realized that I'm unsure of what it is that I'm looking for. I don't want to waste his time, so I don't want to pretend that the IQ portion doesn't matter and all I am interested in is a learning disability assessment.

Should I seek an assessment for learning disabilities? No one I have spoken with has brought it up. I don't mind doing the assessment, but I also don't want to waste anyone's time. Should I even bother looking further into an IQ test? If so, why? I'm having a difficult time coming up with both pros and cons to it. If I do end up deciding on the IQ test only, where the heck do I start? A psychologist or psychiatrist I assume. I asked my social worker and unfortunately he didn't know much about it. I tried to search online to get more details, but most of the results are spam from what look to be useless online tests. On average how much should I expect to pay since my insurance does not cover these tests?

I'm sure I have questions that I'm not thinking of at the moment, so the list will probably grow. For now, there it is!

Thank you in advance for any help, I appreciate it!
Old 10-09-09, 01:53 AM

Blood-Phoenix has a spectacular aura aboutBlood-Phoenix has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: I'm confused! LD/IQ assessment worth the effort?

Hello, Nautik. I can't believe I'm the first person to respond!

First of all, when you have spent your whole life dealing with a condition like ADD, you will generally have heard alot of people tell you things like:
you're not trying hard enough, you have great "potential" (unrealized, of course), or even that you're lazy, a space-cadet, or at worst...stupid.

The truth of course is that you're none of those things. You're hampered
by a condition you can't control that has impacted your performance.
But what tends to happen is that over the years we absorb these things
that people tell us, and let it affect our opinion of ourselves. I know I did.
The worst thing you can do is to actually start believing those who are
constantly criticizing you. Eventually, it will cripple your self-esteem.
Thats how someone who, for example, lacks the energy and follow-through to complete projects can come to accept that they have no work ethic...ie that its their fault, and that its some sort of moral or ethical flaw in their personality.

Theres nothing wrong with you (or me, I'm beginning to accept) that the right therapy (including medications) can't fix. Someday, with a little luck,
you'll be able to accept it when someone says you're smart, even though
your experiences with school seem to give you reason to doubt it. Someday, with a little luck, I may be able to demonstrate for an employer on a consistent basis the kind of gifts I have, and be successful in life.
So far, thats never really happened for me, a fact I always blamed on my
"personality".

I did okay in school...good but not great...until I got to college. I was able to kind of bluff my way through high school relying on my writing skills more than anything else. I wrote wonderful essays about books that I had only flipped through, for example. Enough to bs my way through.
(Math class was a different story ) But when I went to a University, all bets were off. It was a completely different environment and teaching style, and the workload was mind-blowing. I hit a wall, hard, and all my dreams for my future shattered on impact. Nautik, I really envy you being diagnosed when you're still so young. I'm 42 and I just found out. Yes, I
could go back to college now...but I wish I had a couple less decades of
failure on my resume.

Anyway, one last point. I believed a lot of negative things about myself,
but the one thing that noone could ever convince me of was that I was not smart. Oh, lacking in common sense. Socially "dumb" even. But I knew I was smart because I was thinking about things on a level I didn't hear from my peers. Eventually, as part of a bunch of evaluations I was given, I received IQ tests at a couple points in my life. The main reason I would recommend them to you, is that they might help you see
yourself differently.

You see, these people who say you're obviously smart...they're seeing something in you that you have trouble accepting because of your own doubts. I'm no psychologist, but I know writing...your posting is obviously the work of an above average intellect. Maybe being given a formalized
test result, quantifying it, will help you believe in yourself. Go for it.
For me, it helped me that when people were being really hard on me, and having very low expectations of my abilities, I knew inside that I had a genius level IQ. It was just a matter of fighting to get that "out".

As for being evaluated for a learning disability...you do realize you already know you have one, right? Some people are kind of in denial about that...
but thats what ADD is, truth be told. Others can co-exist with it, but thats not to minimize its impact.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

ADD (inattentive)
Epilepsy
Depression (seratonin deficiency)
Sleep Apnea
Acute Leukemia survivor
The Following User Says Thank You to Blood-Phoenix For This Useful Post:
JBPDX (10-09-09)
Old 10-09-09, 05:59 AM

Re: I'm confused! LD/IQ assessment worth the effort?

Thank you for the reply! I will certainly think about everything you said.

You have to love the "helpful" comments that others give when they have no idea what's going on. I walked out of a class once in high school because the teacher tried to tell me that I wasn't paying attention to her lecture and that I needed to try harder. I politely asked her to clarify something she had gone over, and she flipped out. She assumed that I was slacking off and not paying any attention simply because I wanted to make sure I was clear on a topic that she had discussed. That incident was one of the major contributing factors that made me decide to leave school the first time. She was probably the worst of them all. I have heard a lot of the "potential" comments as well. I never did know what to make of them. Of course I didn't have any idea what was going on at the time, I just assumed I was either lazy or slow despite my best efforts to pull myself together. Luckily I had several teachers that didn't see me as a moron, and even in college I have teachers that seem to have an idea that something isn't quite right. Those teachers are probably the reason why I have stayed in school as long as I have rather than giving up.

My school experience prior to college was similar to my current situation with school. There were times where I did amazing, and other times where no one had any idea why I was doing so poorly. I'm not sure what it was (if anything) that made a difference. I do recall being pulled out of class a few times to do tests, but apparently no red flags were ever raised. It's actually kind of funny that you mention being a bit envious of me being diagnosed at a young age, I get upset that it took this long! But you're absolutely right. I'm lucky that I got diagnosed when I did and am getting the help that I need. The sooner the diagnoses and support is there, the better. I do my best to not think about how different my life would be had I been diagnosed at a younger age. Every time I do think of how my life could have gone, I tend to think negatively. No use in crying over spilt milk, right?

I know that I'm not stupid, or lazy, or have a poor work ethic, etc. Prior to my diagnoses I just assumed I was lazy or had a poor work ethic and couldn't follow through with my goals. I'm trying my best to fight off those feelings. Some days I do well and other days I fall back into thinking negatively. Therapy has certainly helped with that. I hope that someday I will be at the point where I can quickly see when I am falling into that line of thinking, and correct it immediately. It'd take a heck of a lot of evidence for someone to convince me that I'm stupid. Like you, I have noticed that I think very differently than my peers. I've felt like that for most of my life. I think that a lot of people would see that as something that could possibly boost my self esteem. Sometimes it does, but most of the time it just stresses me out. I get along fine socially, but I find it extremely difficult to relate to anyone. I can be friendly and make jokes and have a good time with people, but so far my attempts at making good friends haven't worked out. I find most people incredibly boring. Maybe I am looking in the wrong places, but I don't seem to be having any luck finding people my age that possess critical thinking skills above the level of an apple. No offense to apples intended.

I always get excited when I meet someone who has something interesting to talk about. The majority of the time I just end up disappointed because these people who think they have their own unique ideas are simply repeating something verbatim that they heard from their favorite celebrity, politician, teacher, religious leader, parents, etc. I can count on one hand the number of people that I've met that had views that they could back up and explain. Interestingly, all of those people had very differing opinions and ideas than my own. Even with our thoughts and feelings being so different these are the people that I've connected with the most. I do have some friends that I try to keep in touch with. However, after I hang out with them for a few hours I always wonder why in the world I continue to associate with the people that I do. One of my friends that I have known since elementary school started making comments about ADD a few months ago. Some of these comments were extremely offensive. He basically said that anyone with a neuropsychological disorder was lazy and stupid. He would also jokingly say that he had ADD and that he was going to quit his job and collect disability. At the time he was unaware that I have ADD. It took everything in me to not flip out on the guy every single time that he brought up ADD. One would assume that I could calmly explain to my friend what ADD is really about, and how serious of an issue it really is. Nope, not this person. He'll just sit there and argue with me and throw around made up facts and figures that he can't support. He not only does this with ADD, but with many other things as well. It's draining to be around someone who thinks they know so much, when really they know very little. I would assume that if you were comfortable enough to debate a topic, you'd have something to back up your claims. Unfortunately the people that I do relate to are currently scattered throughout the country because of school or work.

As you can imagine, not being able to relate to many people is stressful. The other reason it stresses me out is because I feel like a jerk. Maybe it's that negative thinking creeping up again. I feel like part of the reason I have so many issues with making friends is because I set my standards too high. But whenever I lower my standards a bit I end up miserable because I make friends with people that drive me crazy. I don't feel like I'm asking too much, but of course a large amount of stress comes from that nagging feeling in the back of my mind that perhaps I am asking too much. It's like I have these two opposing points of view and I can't decide on which one to go with.

I'm still not sure whether or not I'll go with the LD testing. It's interesting that you mention ADD being a learning disability. I've never thought about it like that because no one I have ever talked to has said that it is a learning disability. I'm leaning towards going forward with the IQ testing, even if I do have to pay more money through a private psychologist or psychiatrist. I think you are right and that it might help me to have proof that what all of these people are saying is true.

Thank you again for your help, I appreciate it!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-09, 08:25 AM

MamaMeka is on a distinguished road

Have you thought of online clases? That has helped me! I noticed I got straight "A"'s when I had to take these 2-and 4- week summer college courses where the class had the material all week with quizzes and tests everyday! I aced every class! I had to take 4 of those classes in order to not fail out of college...needless to say, the next Fall semester of a full load of 16-week classes was my nail in the coffin (for that university) believe me, there are a million colleges...just don't carry your transcripts over! Now that I'm aware of my learning disability, I know that I need 1. Color-coded organization 2. Shorter classes
If your school offers weekend or online courses, those are best (for me, anyway) it's like a fine-tuned machine...you've to "tweak" it 'til you've found what works for you (do NOT do any illegal drug "tweaking", though!
The Following User Says Thank You to MamaMeka For This Useful Post:
JBPDX (10-09-09)
Old 10-09-09, 03:38 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

scarygreengiant is a splendid one to beholdscarygreengiant is a splendid one to beholdscarygreengiant is a splendid one to beholdscarygreengiant is a splendid one to beholdscarygreengiant is a splendid one to beholdscarygreengiant is a splendid one to beholdscarygreengiant is a splendid one to behold

If you really want to do an IQ assessment then I guess you could do it through a private psychologist. However I would not do an LD/IQ assessment through the school's disability resource center unless you truly believe you might have an LD. That would not be fair to a student who might really need to be assessed for an LD.

Why are you so eager to get an IQ test? Sorry if you already explained it and I missed it. I'm tired and obviously I already have a short attention span as it is.

Old 10-09-09, 03:44 PM

Both online and condensed courses have been great for me. I take them whenever they're available. I've been able to get a B or better in every online or condensed class that I've taken. I do well in online classes because I'm able to work at my own pace in my own surroundings. I'm also able to take tests when I want and in a space that works for me. I'm not sure why the condensed classes seem to help. Probably because I don't have a chance to get bored! Since I am still new to having acomodations at school I don't have a clear idea of how everything is going to work, but I'm hoping that I'll do better if I have my own quiet area and more time.

No illegal tweaking for me! I am a wuss, I get a little nervous when the doctor tells me to take an extra 5mg!

Thank you for the feedback, MamaMeka! I appreciate it.
Old 10-09-09, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarygreengiant View Post
If you really want to do an IQ assessment then I guess you could do it through a private psychologist. However I would not do an LD/IQ assessment through the school's disability resource center unless you truly believe you might have an LD. That would not be fair to a student who might really need to be assessed for an LD.

Why are you so eager to get an IQ test? Sorry if you already explained it and I missed it. I'm tired and obviously I already have a short attention span as it is.
That was what I thought as well. I'm not convinced that I do have a learning disability, but I also wouldn't completely rule it out. I'm hesitant to do the testing until a professional recommends it. I don't want to waste any time for the person who does the LD testing just so I can get an IQ score. As you said, that's not fair for anyone involved.

It's not so much that I'm eager to get an IQ test. I'm not sure how I should feel about it. An IQ test might give me another piece to what has been an insane puzzle so far. As Blood-Phoenix said, it might give me a reason to actually believe what all of these different people are saying. I guess I'm a little strange in that sense. To believe something I generally want unbiased proof. My IQ being no exception to that rule. There were some other vague reasons listed in my epic long posts, but for the most part I'd want an IQ test for my own curiosity and to either confirm or deny all of this "you're smart!" talk.
Old 10-10-09, 02:56 PM

hceuterpe will become famous soon enough

When I compare a learning disability to ADHD, my understanding is; that to rule out a LD, if you score a high IQ on an "intrinsic" test, as opposed to something that's applied (like midterms), then you most likely have ADHD as opposed to a learning disabilty. God forbid you have both..

In a more self-reflective approach sans IQ test, if you are able to easily "get" concepts if you apply yourself, than you most certainly have ADHD, vs you have difficulty because it's not interesting to you. My thought is someone with an LD would have trouble regardless of their level of interest?

..after reading your comment more thoroughly, I wonder if you realize you essentially answered your own question as your first post had considerable deductive reasoning to it? I obviously don't know you on a personal level, but based on what you said, I would agree more with the people you quote as being "professionals" and take their advice. Plus for the most part you can't change your IQ, just like you can't magically change yourself and get rid of your ADHD. I don't think you need a written test to tell you how smart you aren't, 'cause you don't seem "dumb". I would also go so far as to say someone with a low IQ would not be able to come up with that thought process you had in your first post. It sounds like you just want a second opinion that's in conferment with what you stated
Old 10-10-09, 03:26 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,631 Times in 881 Posts
FrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud of

Yes, you obviously have some good reasoning skills!

If you are still having struggles in school despite the therapy and treatment, why not go for an assessment? I had an educational neuropsychological one done for my son a few years ago, and it came out full of useful information and insight. It was the best thing. He got his IQ score there, which proved to both of us that he is smart, just that some things were getting in the way. He also got other useful information, like that he has executive functions deficits, and she explained the part of the brain that comes from and how it affects him and his life, and it helped make sense to me why he can't seem to remember two things in a row.......not that he's stupid or lazy. The whole experience just confirmed a lot of suspicions and gave validity and peace of mind to what he deals with every day. And from then we could move forward with much better understanding.
Old 10-10-09, 03:40 PM

hceuterpe will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrazzleDazzle View Post
Yes, you obviously have some good reasoning skills!

If you are still having struggles in school despite the therapy and treatment, why not go for an assessment? I had an educational neuropsychological one done for my son a few years ago, and it came out full of useful information and insight. It was the best thing. He got his IQ score there, which proved to both of us that he is smart, just that some things were getting in the way. He also got other useful information, like that he has executive functions deficits, and she explained the part of the brain that comes from and how it affects him and his life, and it helped make sense to me why he can't seem to remember two things in a row.......not that he's stupid or lazy. The whole experience just confirmed a lot of suspicions and gave validity and peace of mind to what he deals with every day. And from then we could move forward with much better understanding.
Oh.. wait a second. They do that sort of testing now? I got my IQ test in elementary school 2 decades ago. All they gave me pretty much was a score. Sounds like it's not a bad idea after all..
Old 10-10-09, 03:58 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,631 Times in 881 Posts
FrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud of

Hceuterpe, it was a full battery of tests they did, it took the good part of a day in her office, and covered not only IQ testing, but checking for other learning issues, as well as depression, anxiety, etc. It was probably the most thorough evaluation that could be done.

I blogged a rundown of everything the psychologist did after an initial assessment interview here.
Old 10-11-09, 05:31 AM

Thank you for the link, Frazzle. I'll check that out in a bit, it looks interesting!

I went ahead and replied to the person that does the testing and asked his opinion on the matter. I gave a fairly brief description of my diagnoses and mentioned that I've always done subpar in school. I see my social worker on Monday, so I am also going to ask what he thinks.

I would say that Hceuterpe's remark about wanting a second opinion is right on the mark. Not only a second opinion, but an unbiased second opinion. Not that my doctors, social worker, disability resource support person, etc are biased; I think I am just looking for something a little more "scientific". I'm a pain in the butt like that. Always wanting information to be proven before stated as fact!

Thank you again everyone for the help! It's been extremely informational!
Old 10-11-09, 09:38 AM
Jr Member

AdiApta is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrazzleDazzle View Post
Hceuterpe, it was a full battery of tests they did, it took the good part of a day in her office, and covered not only IQ testing, but checking for other learning issues, as well as depression, anxiety, etc. It was probably the most thorough evaluation that could be done.

I blogged a rundown of everything the psychologist did after an initial assessment interview here.
I agree^

A few years ago I went back to college (5 year break) in attempt to complete a BA. I also went to their disability resource center for accommodations. I was told they needed a copy of my medical assessment for record. It's my understanding a through assessment confirming you have ADHD, and must list the DSM-IV code, is required in order to receive disability accommodations (at least in WA state). That alone is reason to have one done, it's your official medical "pass" into the world of disability accommodations.

I had two complete assessments confirming I have ADHD, one when I was 18 by a neuropsychologist, and another when I was 25 by a psychologist at UW Hospital Seattle. In each assessment my combined IQ score differed. I cannot remember the specific numbers, but I think my first IQ combined score was something like 114, my second assessment listed my combined IQ of something like 128. I know there are debates regarding IQ and my experience confirms that IQ scores have inconsistencies.

Most doctors I have spoken with say you don't need two assessments, like I did, so only needing one is a good investment for medical purposes. Reason why I had a second assessment for ADHD is because in my first assessment the doctor noted I had a large gap between the subcategory scoring tested in the IQ test. I received a low IQ score (90-something) in the verbal intelligence scoring, and a higher score in the nonverbal/performance intelligence scoring (120's I cannot remember). My understanding the two subcategories scores, verbal & nonverbal/performance, should be close in number to each other. My testing resulted a larger difference of the two scores suggesting I may have a learning disability in verbal-type intelligence, and recommended I complete another full ADHD assessment. My second assessment did not support suspicions that I may have a learning disability in verbal-type intelligence.

The second assessment I mentioned done at UW Hospital Seattle had been billed to my insurance in the $2000.00 range. I do not recall the cost of the first assessment.