ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 10-27-11, 01:42 AM

Wonderer is on a distinguished road
Re: Hyperfocus, Good or Bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjkaufman21 View Post
Does this happen to other people too? The very abrupt end to hyperfocus and the extremes of obsession and indifference?
Yes, it happens all the time. I once wrote a list of everything in my life that I had obsessed over: a college ruled sheet of paper complete with two full columns on the front and one and a half on the back with the last entry being the list itself. My obsessions also last anywhere from hours, to days, to months and typically have periods of depression to fill the voids between each. These loves, or perhaps enfatuations, will often repeat after a number of cycles until something new once again takes over.

My hyperfocus tends to be most extreme in the spring and seems to present itself in the search for (a) new hobby(ies), latches on to something somewhere between the spring and summer, and almost fizzles out sometime around the fall leaving me unusually depressed (possibly due to burnout??).

I don't know. Maybe I suffer from seasonal depression. Anyone else notice a cyclical nature to their focus?
Old 10-27-11, 01:52 AM
ADDvanced Member

Kimmy1 is on a distinguished road

I do. I feel there's a lot more people that suffer from SAD than anyone realizes.
All you have to do is work with the public to see it.
Random people coming in the store for whatever reason. They well be in an unusual good mood or bad mood, depending on which season it is.
It just makes sense to me that being able to hyperfocus the way we do and having the seasons effect us can leave us feeling burned-out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kimmy1 For This Useful Post:
Wonderer (10-27-11)
Old 10-27-11, 02:19 AM

FracturedStory, can you further explain what you mean by your hyper focus process being, normally, regulated in your brain?

-Is this something you had to learn to regulate or developed with age? or has it always come naturally to you?

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what sort of comunication problems do you have? I too have difficulties with communication and social skills definitely did not come naturally to me. Those I now have I had to teach myself utilizing various books and webpages on body language, small talk, and even dating among others. After my research and subsequent experimentation, which was crazy to say the least, these skills have improved dramatically with some even labeling me as outgoing and an extrovert, which I typically am far from, although, upon reflection seems to have bouts of this personality type. I do however, still have one key weakness. When I am in a group, I tend to get lost and speak very little. It's like the extra people, even just one, distract me, yet I follow every word spoken. With close friends, the few I have, this is not as pronounced and the medication sometimes helps, but sometimes it makes it worse.

Thanks, and I hope this isn't too personal. Perhaps this should have been sent as a PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-11, 02:33 AM

Good point. If this is the case I wonder what the cause would be?

-an evolutionary holdover from a pre-modern era when homo sapians adapted to and behaved as a part of the land before we forgot - or ignored - that we too are mere animals?

No reply necessary. I just went off on a tangent lol.
Old 10-27-11, 05:44 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

rickymooston is just really nicerickymooston is just really nicerickymooston is just really nicerickymooston is just really nice

I am a software developer

In some scenarios my hyperfocus can be good and in others bad

First the question is what am I intensely focused on

Secomd the question is whether I've missed other important events while in this state

Third in that state, somebody can sneak up on me and scare the hell out of me.

I suspect hyoerfocus and topic switching are both related to me being able to process one
Stimulae at a time but I'm unsure.

Sometimes coming out of that stae feels good, others it leaves me disoriented

Lack of memory impedes me giving you a better answer. That is the truth as. I see it now
Old 11-02-11, 07:17 AM
Contributor

sbcy is a jewel in the roughsbcy is a jewel in the roughsbcy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedstory View Post
Hyper focus to me is just another process in the brain that is usually regulated. The non-ADHD brain can focus but it doesn't have this over focus that we tend to have. I'm not saying either type is superior. But we either have poor focus or over focus.
Strangely enough, I would disagree, I find I have the worst of both worlds--very persistent and intent on doing something but feeling like I'm tripping over my own feet in the process or not "getting it" right away or "not listening".
Old 12-05-11, 12:41 AM
ADDvanced Member

Fortress has a spectacular aura aboutFortress has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjkaufman21 View Post
For me its bad.

I feel like I can't control what I hyperfocus on well, if at all. Certain things just seem to set it off, random things that I find interest in will randomly trigger my hyperfocus.

To me, it is very similar to what was described, constantly thinking about it, doing it, reading about it, whatever it may be, trying to understand it from every angle. When it does hit me, it's hard to think about anything else.

The worst part is that I feel like I don't have a lot of control over what I focus on. To some extent I have learned to control it, for example if I find something that interests me, and I know it will be productive to pursue, I can at times trigger the hyperfocus. But more often than not, it is something inane or pointless that I end up hyperfocused on - and it can last for hours, or days, or even weeks.

The second worst part for me is the generally very abrupt end to my hyperfocus. I'm not sure why or how this occurs, but once I lose interest, well its gone. I go from being borderline obsessed with something to practically not caring about it at all. I hate that. I look back and think of all the hours and hours I've spent learning about or researching pointless things that give me no benefit and it is very frustrating.

Does this happen to other people too? The very abrupt end to hyperfocus and the extremes of obsession and indifference?
Yeah I get this too, as other people have mentioned in the thread. I wonder if that's related to the social anxiety I get when I'm out in public: I feel like I have to resolve every possible issues about the situation/environment in my mind and it's making me crazy. Even understanding stupid reasons or genesis about stupid things. In a way this stresses me out because I can think about what people could be thinking of me or what I'm doing or this or that and every possibilities on earth. And then I can just suddenly not give a damn about anything and instead of being stressed out I'm just disconnected from all of it.

For a long time I've been thinking that this was just me having social anxiety and then switching to not caring about anything to stop being stressed out. I'm sure that's true to an extent but noticing the common thought process we have, I'm wondering if that doesn't have a big effect on my problem...

I hate it...when I'm in a club it's hard for me to have fun: I keep thinking about everything and next thing I know I don't care about all the details I was thinking and everything feels empty of meaning.
Old 12-05-11, 07:06 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 7,906 Times in 4,070 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbcy View Post
Strangely enough, I would disagree, I find I have the worst of both worlds--very persistent and intent on doing something but feeling like I'm tripping over my own feet in the process or not "getting it" right away or "not listening".
I'm not sure how you got that from what I said. I think I need to take my medication.

I don't think people understood me and I forgot what I said, lol.

But what I meant to say is that hyper focus is normal focus but because it's unregulated it goes out of control, like many other ADHD symptoms. Actually I'm having trouble believing that. I don't think I can explain it properly now.

Eh, just forget what I said.

Hyper focus has been really out of control of late. I just moved and I'm spending a lot of time on my computer (on forums) and only stop when I get mentally exhausted. Also, I've been hyper focusing so long I've started to feel ill from hunger and and my body pretty much shuts down even after I eat. And I tend to forget I share a house with three other people.

How do I explain my communication difficulties? Lack of interest in people, limited social skills learnt by memorisation, also I tend to talk like this in conversation: facts, facts, facts. It's hard for me to express emotion; when I try really hard I either go monotone, get angry or cry. I'm very opinionated too and just want everyone to agree with me (joke...well not really).
Old 12-08-11, 08:54 PM
Contributor

shamrock has a spectacular aura aboutshamrock has a spectacular aura about
Red face Re: Hyperfocus, Good or Bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderer View Post
Hyperfocus: My great tragic asset

For me, the ability to hyperfocus has been both a blessing and a curse. It is good and bad. I also believe that this "ability" defines my life.

Oh yea, in the last two nights combined I've only slept about six hours, yet here I read and type at midnight when I need wake very early and can barely hold my eyes open, although, this may be a result of leaving my contacts in for way too long. For some reason I absolutely detest going to sleep at night, though I love to sleep and often remain in bed for over twelve hours! What sense does that make Not to hijack your thread, but do any of you ever find yourself in similar predicaments or am I simply crazy lol?

I can relate to all of this. I have bp2 as well and the number one piece of advice we are given is to regulate our sleep patterns so its really not good.If I won the lotto I would hire someone to put me to bed!! That sounds sooo sad.
Old 12-09-11, 01:06 AM

irishgirl49 is on a distinguished road

The amount I can relate to this thread is insane.
I had issues at first getting diagnosed with ADHD because I have always kept up good grades.
However, I have always been able to hyperfocus on math problems. Its like the world stops moving and I can't stop doing the problem until I finish.
I can do the same with books if I like them. I will read until my brain shuts me down (which can be 10 hours after I should have gone to sleep..)

For weeks at a time I can become obsessed with learning something, and then my interest disappears completely (this happened a lot with instruments, foreign languages, etc). I can even come to detest the items i purchased involved with the hobby.

Also, to Wonderer... I keep myself up way too often as well. I am on this forum right now, distracting myself from the lab report I need to write by 5 pm tomorrow (luckily, I only have one class tomorrow, but I have a scary number of things I need to do during the day).
I went through a period about 5-6 weeks ago where I could not get out of bed without getting at least 10 hours of sleep. I slept through more classes than I should have, and my grades have been affected accordingly :/ This is especially stupid because my classes start at either 11:30 or 9 am. I should be able to get up and go to them. But I just couldn't in that 2 week period.
Old 12-10-11, 03:12 AM
Contributor

Jshect is just really niceJshect is just really niceJshect is just really niceJshect is just really nice

Hyperfocussing has been good and bad for me. I have bipolar II, often severe depression, ADD-PI probably SCT, anxiety, a terrible memory... The good thing about hyperfocusing is I have spent years reading about all of the psychological disorders and their symptoms and comparing them to my symptoms and I am finally figuring out what the hell I have.
The bad part about hyperfocus is that I get Obsessed with something and I waste a lot of reading, highlighting, and writing about it till I'v viewed it from every possible angle. Then I get completely sick of that topic and move on and hyperfocus about something else. I think I would be glad I have this ability to hyperfocus if I could actually remember what I learned from all that time and effort. But my memory sucks so it's just wasted time. But it has helped me figure myself out .
Old 12-10-11, 02:04 PM

carasmind is on a distinguished road

I am new here. So many emotions come to me after reading all of these responses... and visiting this forum in general. My heart connects and goes out to so many different people on here. I am so thankful for this forum... it's such a strange "disorder" (hate that word). It is a heavy burden, but a special gift.

The starting post, solving a highly complicated math question in a completely new way, after not even making it past Algebra 2, it so perfectly describes it. I love math, too. LOVE it! Because it's a logical, secure framework that can be built to the stars. (of course there's other more immediate things that i need to attend to in my life, like posting on this here forum LOL) Yet, in school, I thought i hated it because of the repetitious homework and the details involved.

Anyhoo... I agree. Hyper focusing is a strength, yet a boon. A boon in certain situations. We just have to be gentle with ourselves. We have to hopefully remind ourselves that we go about it in a different way.

I'm a good gil I yam. Pleased to meet ya'll.
Old 12-10-11, 02:24 PM

carasmind is on a distinguished road

Ok I'm not sure if you're allowed to reply to yourself, because I never read the site directions. Can anyone say BOOOOORing? eh, trying not to sound too valley girl. ug.

But to answer this thread more directly, I searched the term "hyper focus" in the forum, and ended up with this discussion. This is because I, too, deal with hyper focus, and my current life makes it a BOOOON. I mother 6 little chubby-sweet kids. And who can engross themselves in anything with 6 little kids before someone flushes himself down a toilet or something? Thankfully, toilet pipes are small. Is there a forum out there for ADD moms? Of ADD children? *sigh*
Old 12-10-11, 03:24 PM

irishgirl49 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by carasmind View Post
Ok I'm not sure if you're allowed to reply to yourself, because I never read the site directions. Can anyone say BOOOOORing? eh, trying not to sound too valley girl. ug.

But to answer this thread more directly, I searched the term "hyper focus" in the forum, and ended up with this discussion. This is because I, too, deal with hyper focus, and my current life makes it a BOOOON. I mother 6 little chubby-sweet kids. And who can engross themselves in anything with 6 little kids before someone flushes himself down a toilet or something? Thankfully, toilet pipes are small. Is there a forum out there for ADD moms? Of ADD children? *sigh*

There are, just go to the main page and scroll down. there is an entire section for parents of ADHD kids... and I am pretty sure there is a section for moms as well.
Old 12-12-11, 10:48 PM

lihtox is on a distinguished road

Hi! I'm new around here and I'm not sure if I have ADHD or not, but hyperfocus is something that sounds familiar to me. I used to have a lot of fun as a kid and even through college, latching onto a topic or a problem set or program or something like that and spending hours on it. Fortunately I was bright enough that I could succeed in my schoolwork in spite of it. But as I've gotten older, I think I've become more frightened by hyperfocus, and so I try to prevent it when I can, and that reluctance makes it very hard for me to focus at all: I'm scared I'll be swept away, and miss a deadline or bedtime or the last bus of the evening. Also, when I was younger I didn't have any problem with starting new, ridiculously ambitious projects ("I'm going to invent my own language!") and then leaving them undone, but now a part of my brain says "What's the point in starting that, you'll never finish it." It used to be that I'd walk into a library and feel excited about all the different books there were to read, all the different subjects there were to learn; now I get depressed because there's no way I can read all of those books, and no way I would spend enough time on any one subject long enough to master it. This is all assuming I understand what hyperfocus is; I'm still learning.