ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 02-21-18, 10:07 AM

EMPTYSKULL is on a distinguished road
Coffee - before or after Adderall?

I read all about the problem with acidic foods, and usually I drink my coffee as I get up first thing, and take the Adderall 2 hours later after I get where I need to go and start my day (So I don't waste the 2 hours the med is working on driving and doing morning routine) Is the stomach still acidic from the coffee? would it be better to take it before the coffee? is the coffee acidic or the caffeine, maybe I'll change to caffeine pills if it's the coffee that's acidic and not the caffeine.

Last edited by EMPTYSKULL; 02-21-18 at 10:24 AM..
Old 02-21-18, 10:24 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,496 Times in 3,096 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coffee - before or after Adderall?

Coffee will raise the PH level of your stomach over the long run anyway. Especially if you're consuming it everyday. A good way to lower your stomachs PH level is to drink glasses of water with a squirt of squeezed lemon juice. The acidity from lemon juice is converted to alkaline after its been metabolized. So try this after each cup of coffee you drink and it will help you maintain a balanced PH level.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
EMPTYSKULL (02-21-18), Lash107 (02-27-18), Vonster (06-13-18)
Old 02-21-18, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 View Post
Coffee will raise the PH level of your stomach over the long run anyway. Especially if you're consuming it everyday. A good way to lower your stomachs PH level is to drink glasses of water with a squirt of squeezed lemon juice. The acidity from lemon juice is converted to alkaline after its been metabolized. So try this after each cup of coffee you drink and it will help you maintain a balanced PH level.
But will the acidity from the coffee effect the Adderall taken 2 hours after it? (I don't eat until an hour after taking adderall).
Is caffeine it self acidic if taken in pills?
last question, maybe half a pill of tums will be better than lemon squeezed to water?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-18, 12:46 PM

Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMPTYSKULL View Post
But will the acidity from the coffee effect the Adderall taken 2 hours after it? (I don't eat until an hour after taking adderall).
Is caffeine it self acidic if taken in pills?
last question, maybe half a pill of tums will be better than lemon squeezed to water?

As someone who has suffered from severe heart burn and GERD I can tell you that taking anti-acids are not the way to go. They only offer a short term solution to high stomach acid content and can lead to digestive health issues in the long run.

Caffeine stimulates gastric acid secretion which can lead to heart burn and GERD. The only thing that has got rid of it in my own experience is the lemon juice method. My overall digestive health has greatly improved as well since avoiding any anti-acids.

When you take the Adderall is irrelevant. Your overall stomach PH level is going to be higher if you consume caffeine in any form. Lemon juice is a great way of keeping it under control if you insist on consuming caffeine.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
EMPTYSKULL (02-21-18), Lash107 (02-27-18)
Old 02-21-18, 01:04 PM

Thanked 26,499 Times in 12,370 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

You take your meds after driving to work? A large number of us with ADHD
are so inattentive and impatient that driving is one of the main reasons to
take stimulant meds.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
aeon (02-21-18), Little Missy (02-21-18), Snoopy10 (02-22-18)
Old 02-21-18, 03:54 PM

Quote:
As someone who has suffered from severe heart burn and GERD I can tell you that taking anti-acids are not the way to go. They only offer a short term solution to high stomach acid content and can lead to digestive health issues in the long run.

Caffeine stimulates gastric acid secretion which can lead to heart burn and GERD. The only thing that has got rid of it in my own experience is the lemon juice method. My overall digestive health has greatly improved as well since avoiding any anti-acids.

When you take the Adderall is irrelevant. Your overall stomach PH level is going to be higher if you consume caffeine in any form. Lemon juice is a great way of keeping it under control if you insist on consuming caffeine.
but isn't lemon acidic? anyway, I will give it a try tomorrow when I take the Adderall, I drink 3 cups of coffee a day and two is the minimum. Thought the morning coffee might be doing something to weaken the Adderall since I'm on 60mg IR (2 X 30) only 3 days ago started and not feeling it enough. Was on 90mg Ritalin and 30mg Ritalin felt so much stronger than 30mg Adderall. Maybe it's because Ritalin isn't effected by food.
going to try the lemon juice to give it a last try, maybe even taking it an hour before coffee just to see if it's interfering with the Adderall.
Old 02-21-18, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
You take your meds after driving to work? A large number of us with ADHD
are so inattentive and impatient that driving is one of the main reasons to
take stimulant meds.
Well the first dose is the strongest and I can't waste 2-3 hours since it's more then half of the time a dose is working. I study right now and need the 8 hours, and since it's IR medication I take it when I get there.
Sure, if I had an unlimited supply of Adderall or Ritalin I wouldn't had mind wasting one dose on the morning routines.
The Following User Says Thank You to EMPTYSKULL For This Useful Post:
Lash107 (02-27-18)
Old 02-21-18, 04:04 PM

Thanked 26,499 Times in 12,370 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well the first dose is the strongest and I can't waste 2-3 hours since it's more then half of the time a dose is working. I study right now and need the 8 hours, and since it's IR medication I take it when I get there.
Sure, if I had an unlimited supply of Adderall or Ritalin I wouldn't had mind wasting one dose on the morning routines.
You didn't say you're taking the instant release.

For those who have had numerous tickets and car crashes, it's not a waste.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
benzi13 (05-01-18), Snoopy10 (02-22-18)
Old 02-21-18, 04:05 PM

Quote:
but isn't lemon acidic? anyway, I will give it a try tomorrow when I take the Adderall, I drink 3 cups of coffee a day and two is the minimum. Thought the morning coffee might be doing something to weaken the Adderall since I'm on 60mg IR (2 X 30) only 3 days ago started and not feeling it enough. Was on 90mg Ritalin and 30mg Ritalin felt so much stronger than 30mg Adderall. Maybe it's because Ritalin isn't effected by food.
going to try the lemon juice to give it a last try, maybe even taking it an hour before coffee just to see if it's interfering with the Adderall.

The citric acid in lemon juice is converted to alkaline within the body. A good natural remedy for heart burn is lemon, honey and green tea. You could always try green tea as an alternative to coffee, although it only contains about a 3rd of the caffeine content compared to the average cup of coffee. But lemon juice on its own will work fine. But at least stick with it for a few days before judging its overall effect.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
Daniel1970 (03-15-19), EMPTYSKULL (02-21-18), Lash107 (02-27-18)
Old 02-21-18, 04:07 PM

Thanked 14,566 Times in 6,501 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Ritalin absorption is delayed by fats in food.

I’ve never noticed an appreciable effect on dextroamphetamine efficacy or duration because of the consumption of acidic foods.

And in any case, excretion of said amphetamines is a function of urinary pH, not dietary.

Cheers,
Ian
The Following User Says Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
EMPTYSKULL (02-21-18)
Old 02-21-18, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
You didn't say you're taking the instant release.

For those who have had numerous tickets and car crashes, it's not a waste.
Yes 60mg IR (2X30).
Old 02-21-18, 04:12 PM

Quote:
The citric acid in lemon juice is converted to alkaline within the body. A good natural remedy for heart burn is lemon, honey and green tea. You could always try green tea as an alternative to coffee, although it only contains about a 3rd of the caffeine content compared to the average cup of coffee. But lemon juice on its own will work fine. But at least stick with it for a few days before judging its overall effect.
Thank you very much, I will try not drinking coffee until I feel the medication working so I will see clearly if it's the coffee or maybe Adderall is less effective for me then Ritalin.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EMPTYSKULL For This Useful Post:
Fraser_0762 (02-21-18), Lash107 (02-27-18)
Old 02-21-18, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeon View Post
Ritalin absorption is delayed by fats in food.

I’ve never noticed an appreciable effect on dextroamphetamine efficacy or duration because of the consumption of acidic foods.

And in any case, excretion of said amphetamines is a function of urinary pH, not dietary.

Cheers,
Ian
Yes Ritalin is delayed by fats, but I can eat something small and drink coffee and every time on the 45 minutes mark I feel it "going up". Coffee is acidic so it causes problems with the absorption of Adderall and not Ritalin as I understand it.
Old 02-22-18, 09:20 AM

Tried it today (lemon), didn't make any difference... guess not all theories or facts on paper actually make a noticeable difference.
The Following User Says Thank You to EMPTYSKULL For This Useful Post:
Lash107 (02-27-18)
Old 02-22-18, 09:26 AM

Thanked 21,781 Times in 11,685 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Oh God, you're making a big deal out of nothing.

Just take it as prescribed and it will work. Unless you are taking a poo-poo brand.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
aeon (02-22-18), Little Nut (02-22-18), Snoopy10 (02-22-18)