ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 03-11-19, 09:42 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,118 Times in 2,796 Posts
Stevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond repute
Weaning myself off Adderall

I got the idea in my head to start weaning myself off Adderall. I started a week ago as of yesterday and it's going pretty well. I'm still able to work pretty hard and pretty diligently. I'm not sure if I'll keep up with it or go back on.

It's mostly because I was having so much trouble focusing as is even with Adderall... I wondered how much it was actually helping.

Oddly enough I don't notice much of a difference. I'm a bit more distractible. It's harder to stay motivated now that I think about it. I am having some trouble keeping up at work.... But that was so before I tried going off.

I just started to really wonder how much good it was doing .. and with the drawbacks I wanted to experiment and see if it was worth it. I'm only a week in, who knows what I'll conclude in the end.

This planet is now property of the Sontaran Empire. Surrender your women and intellectuals. -Commander Strax
The Following User Says Thank You to Stevuke79 For This Useful Post:
namazu (03-14-19)
Old 03-12-19, 10:01 PM
ADDvanced Member

fredonian will become famous soon enough
Re: Weaning myself off Adderall

Greetings Stevuke79, I feel I might can relate some thoughts to your question, but do you mind sharing specics about your dosing , formulary (IR or XR) and brands?
The Following User Says Thank You to fredonian For This Useful Post:
Stevuke79 (03-13-19)
Old 03-13-19, 05:11 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,910 Times in 15,257 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

do you think you maybe need another med or different dose instead of stopping?

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Stevuke79 (03-13-19)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-19, 11:53 PM

Stevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond repute

Well... I started 8 years ago on IR. it was a life changer. I got up to 80mg/day xr+ir. then I went on mydayis.

Then I guess it was just hard to assess if it was still doing anything for me.

This planet is now property of the Sontaran Empire. Surrender your women and intellectuals. -Commander Strax
Old 03-15-19, 08:18 PM
Contributor

20thcenturyfox is a jewel in the rough20thcenturyfox is a jewel in the rough20thcenturyfox is a jewel in the rough
Never Had a "Weaning" Issue with Adderall

I was on Adderall for years, and it was a life-saver while I was working.

I was only on 30mg/day XR, but I could go on or off at any time, and get full benefit as long as I took it early in the day.

Always slept better on the nights after I had taken it, but other than being hungry the next day and my usual squirrelly self and having more trouble sleeping, there was no other downside to going off Adderall at any time.
The Following User Says Thank You to 20thcenturyfox For This Useful Post:
Stevuke79 (03-18-19)
Old 03-18-19, 03:52 PM

Re: Never Had a "Weaning" Issue with Adderall

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20thcenturyfox View Post
I was on Adderall for years, and it was a life-saver while I was working.

I was only on 30mg/day XR, but I could go on or off at any time, and get full benefit as long as I took it early in the day.

Always slept better on the nights after I had taken it, but other than being hungry the next day and my usual squirrelly self and having more trouble sleeping, there was no other downside to going off Adderall at any time.
I think that may end up being the route I go. There's no doubt that there are some things I do better on Adderall.

I haven't discussed it with my doctor. If you don't mind me asking, how does your doctor feel about you periodically going off Adderall?

The Following User Says Thank You to Stevuke79 For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (03-18-19)
Old 03-18-19, 06:05 PM
Contributor

20thcenturyfox is a jewel in the rough20thcenturyfox is a jewel in the rough20thcenturyfox is a jewel in the rough
Re: Never Had a "Weaning" Issue with Adderall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevuke79 View Post
I think that may end up being the route I go. There's no doubt that there are some things I do better on Adderall.

I haven't discussed it with my doctor. If you don't mind me asking, how does your doctor feel about you periodically going off Adderall?
That particular psychiatrist was pretty brave to prescribe it in the first place, since at that time (mid-1990's, I think) I had only been diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder, not ADHD.

But there were things that made us both wonder if what we were dealing was really MDD. My symptoms (and despair) were solely related to poor concentration and follow-thru. I had a couple of pretty responsible jobs, with people depending on me, and I needed to perform at a fairly high level, sometimes under fairly high pressure. Hyperactivity was practically a job requirement. And I had a busy life outside of work, too. I was scared my screw-ups would cause some serious damage somewhere.

I don't know who brought up ADHD, but the symptoms I read about certainly resonated with me. She sent me for a "evaluation" that was then still under development to test for ADHD (Stroop, etc.), and it came back negative. (Such a hopeless achiever, I actually took off my glasses so I could see the colours without being distracted by the words!)

But by then she had already started me on stimulants (alongside the anti-depressants I was taking) to see the effect. I think we tried Ritalin first, then Adderall XR. From the very first dose of Adderall, I felt better, worked better, and slept better. I think the sleep report impressed her the most--who sleeps better on stimulants? In those days there was no going on and off, I wanted to be on all the time; it was just a question of dose.

After playing with the dose a bit--too high and I was overwound, too low and I slept poorly again--she was fine with my varying the dose according to my work demands, even prescribing a combination of 20mg and 10mg pills, so I could mix & match. When the pressure was on, I might take 40 or 50mg; when it was over I would drop back to 20mg.

BTW, prescriptions here are tightly and centrally monitored, so it would have been obvious pretty quickly if there was an upward trend in my consumption. But there wasn't. I just wanted to be able to function and focus optimally.

I'm sure it helped that this doc was also a med school prof and a researcher, so I think she could be more curious and less fearful than your average health care minion about colouring outside the lines. I am eternally grateful.

Epilogue: 20 years later at the age of 67, I was officially diagnosed with ADHD by a different doc. So funny, because in hindsight I can see EXACTLY which members of my family are also affected...and they don't all have the same type.

Last edited by 20thcenturyfox; 03-18-19 at 06:24 PM..