ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > General Parenting Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Parenting Issues The purpose of this forum is to discuss general parenting issues related to children with AD/HD(ADD & ADHD)

Old 12-27-10, 11:35 PM

maliha is on a distinguished road
Questionnaire for parents of children with ADHD

Social Functioning in children with ADHD
Hi. My name is Tahreem Sohail and I am investigating social functioning in children with ADHD. Your contribution to this research will be valuable and I hope that you will cooperate with us in this survey. I assure you that all information shall be kept strictly confidential. Thank you for your cooperation.
1. What is your child with ADHD’s age?
a. 1-5
b. 6-10
c. Other
d. Skip
2. What is your child with ADHD’s gender?
a. Male
b. Female
c. Skip
3. Does your child with ADHD also have co morbid disorders?
a. Yes
b. No
c. Skip
4. Does your child with ADHD have any siblings?
a. Yes
b. No
c. Skip
5. Is your child with ADHD receiving medical treatment?
a. Yes.
b. No
c. Skip
6. Does anyone else in your family also have ADHD?
a. Yes
b. No
c. Skip
7. How would you describe the relationship between you and your child with ADHD?
a. Positive. A deep level of understanding and bonding is present between us.
b. Fairly positive. There is quite some understanding and bonding between us.
c. Troubled. There is a small level of understanding and bonding between us.
d. Negative. There is little or no understanding or bonding present between us.
e. Skip
8. How would you describe your child with ADHD’s relationship with his/her siblings if he/she has any?
a. Positive. They get along well and often do activities together.
b. Fairly positive. They get along fairly well and sometimes do activities together.
c. Negative. They do not get along well at all and they hardly do anything together.
d. Skip
9. When your child with ADHD meets new people, how does he/she tend to react?
a. He/she is shy and hesitant to talk to them.
b. He/she is shy at first but eventually he/she starts opening up and talking to them.
c. He/she is excited and he/she socializes well with them.
d. Other
e. Skip
10. Does your child with ADHD take part in extra-curricular activities? If yes, then clarify how frequently he/she does so.
a. Yes,
i. Very frequently
ii. Quite frequently
iii. Sometimes
b. No
11. In comparison to siblings and/or peers, how well do you think your child with ADHD has adjusted to the environment at school?
a. Very well. He/she made friends very quickly and had no problems in socializing.
b. Fairly well. He/she got along fairly well with peers and made friends in a slightly longer period of time.
c. Not well. He/she constantly had troubles socializing with peers and making friends
d. Skip
12. Roughly, how stable would you say have the friendship bonds between your child with ADHD and peers been in terms of the length of the friendship that lasted?
a. Very stable
b. Quite stable
c. Not very stable
d. Unstable
e. Skip
13. How often is your child with ADHD invited to parties or other social events?
a. Very often
b. Often
c. Sometimes
d. Rarely
e. Skip
14. Compared to siblings and/or peers, how cooperative would you say your child with ADHD generally is?
a. Very cooperative
b. Cooperative
c. Somewhat cooperative
d. Uncooperative
e. Very uncooperative
f. Skip
15. How confident would you say your child with ADHD is compared to siblings and/or peers when it comes to taking initiatives or doing tasks?
a. Very confident
b. Confident
c. Somewhat confident
d. Not confident at all
e. Skip
16. When it comes to following rules, your child with ADHD is more likely to:
a. Follow the rules
b. Not follow the rules
c. Other
d. Skip
17. Compared to siblings and/or peers, do you think your child with ADHD has difficulty in communicating his/her feelings or thoughts?
a. Yes.
b. Somewhat
c. No
d. Skip
18. Is your child with ADHD’s social functioning an area of concern for you?
a. Yes
b. No
c. Skip
19. Are there any non-governmental organization(s) and/or institution(s) that have helped you in the process of raising your child with ADHD?
a. Yes
b. No
c. Skip
20. If you answered yes to the previous question, then tell us if you found these social support(s) reliable or truly beneficial for your child with ADHD?
a. Yes
b. Somewhat
c. No
d. Skip
21. Looking into the future, what do you think will be your child with ADHD’s social life like when he/she is a teenager?
a. Explain___________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________
b. Skip

Thank you very much for your cooperation. I appreciate the time and effort that you gave for the completion of this questionnaire. The information you have provided will be of great value to this research. I value your contribution.
*ADDF has been used as a resource for this research.
Old 12-28-10, 03:00 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,349 Times in 6,095 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Questionnaire approval

As per guideline this member has received permission from our administration team to publicly post this research.

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meadd823 For This Useful Post:
Debc1999 (12-28-10), peripatetic (12-28-10)
Old 12-28-10, 04:54 PM

Debc1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: Questionnaire for parents of children with ADHD

Here are my answers:

c. Other (11)

a. Male

b. No

a. Yes

b. No

a. Yes

7. How would you describe the relationship between you and your child with ADHD?

8. How would you describe your child with ADHD’s relationship with his/her siblings if he/she has any?
b. Fairly positive. They get along fairly well and sometimes do activities together.

10. Does your child with ADHD take part in extra-curricular activities? If yes, then clarify how frequently he/she does so.
iii. Sometimes

11. In comparison to siblings and/or peers, how well do you think your child with ADHD has adjusted to the environment at school?
c. Not well. He/she constantly had troubles socializing with peers and making friends (no trouble making friends, it's keeping them that is a problem)

12. Roughly, how stable would you say have the friendship bonds between your child with ADHD and peers been in terms of the length of the friendship that lasted?
c. Not very stable

13. How often is your child with ADHD invited to parties or other social events?
d. Rarely

14. Compared to siblings and/or peers, how cooperative would you say your child with ADHD generally is?
b. Cooperative

15. How confident would you say your child with ADHD is compared to siblings and/or peers when it comes to taking initiatives or doing tasks?
d. Not confident at all

a. Follow the rules

17. Compared to siblings and/or peers, do you think your child with ADHD has difficulty in communicating his/her feelings or thoughts?
a. Yes.

a. Yes

19. Are there any non-governmental organization(s) and/or institution(s) that have helped you in the process of raising your child with ADHD?
b. No

20. If you answered yes to the previous question, then tell us if you found these social support(s) reliable or truly beneficial for your child with ADHD?
a. Yes
b. Somewhat
c. No
d. Skip
21. Looking into the future, what do you think will be your child with ADHD’s social life like when he/she is a teenager?
a. Explain_
I believe that middle school will be very hard for him. My son has a tendency to chase the popular kids and they don't like him because they think he's weird. He's made it his mission to get them to like him. I hope by high school that he gets over this and starts to seek out kids that are more like him and then I think he will be able to maintain friendships for the long term.
The Following User Says Thank You to Debc1999 For This Useful Post:
maliha (12-29-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-10, 04:56 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 23,965 Times in 11,088 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

I filled out the questionaire and sent it to the OP via private message.
Probably should point out that I'm the gramma, not the actual parent.
Although I'm helping my divorced daughter raise her two children, we
all live together.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
maliha (12-29-10)
Old 12-29-10, 06:19 PM

maliha is on a distinguished road

Thankyou everyone who has participated so far. I am looking forward to more participations.
Hopefully by mid-January, I will be posting a report based on the results of this survey.
Old 12-29-10, 06:38 PM

Gemsie will become famous soon enough

b. 6-10
a. Male
a. Yes
a. Yes
a. Yes.
a. Yes
d. Other
a. Yes,
i. Very frequently
c. Not well. He/she constantly had troubles socializing with peers and making friends
c. Not very stable
d. Rarely
d. Uncooperative
d. Not confident at all
c. Other
b. Somewhat
a. Yes
b. No
d. Skip
a. Explain_I hope that with care and understanding my sons social life will be the same as other teenagers, however I am aware that there will be difficulites but with understanding comes knowledge and those that know and see him will keep him safe and he himself will hopefully be able to restrain any dangerous impulses.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gemsie For This Useful Post:
maliha (12-29-10)
Old 12-29-10, 09:17 PM
Contributor

ADDrus is a jewel in the roughADDrus is a jewel in the roughADDrus is a jewel in the rough

Social Functioning in children with ADHD

c. Other 11
a. Male
a. Yes
a. Yes
b. No
a. Yes
a. Yes,
ii. Quite frequently
d. Unstable
d. Rarely
a. Very cooperative
c. Somewhat confident
c. Other (Doesn’t pay attention to the explanation of the rules and makes up his own rules that he follows remarkable well)
a. Yes.
a. Yes
a. Yes
b. Somewhat
a. Explain
Unmediated, he will continue to have low self esteem and social problems. Being a male there is continued risk of negative behaviors combined with his impulsivity and poor judgment will result in very difficult teen years and potential catastrophic results. Being identified as “gifted” places him in the highest risk group for teen suicide and combined with the social difficulties of ADHD, the risks are extreme. If he follows his sister’s lead, he will just drop out of high school and become a hermit that only interacts with her direct family and her online gaming friends with no real future direction and little self motivation.

The Following User Says Thank You to ADDrus For This Useful Post:
maliha (12-29-10)
Old 01-08-11, 01:17 AM

scary will become famous soon enough

Here are my results, hope it helps.
b. 6-10
a. Male
a. Yes
a. Yes
a. Yes.
a. Yes
a. Positive. They get along well and often do activities together.
b. He/she is shy at first but eventually he/she starts opening up and talking to them.
a. Yes,
i. Very frequently
d. Unstable
d. Rarely
c. Somewhat cooperative
c. Somewhat confident
b. Not follow the rules
b. Somewhat
a. Yes
b. No

a. Explain___________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __With scontinouos support from all we hope that by the time he reaches his teens he will have caught up with his peers and is socialising well._____________________________________________ ___ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________
Old 01-08-11, 01:53 PM

Babyanne has a spectacular aura aboutBabyanne has a spectacular aura about

b. 6-10

a. Male

b. No

a. Yes

a. Yes.

a. Yes

b. No

a. Very well. He/she made friends very quickly and had no problems in socializing.

a. Very stable

a. Very often

a. Very cooperative

d. Not confident at all

a. Follow the rules

c. No

b. No

b. No

d. Skip

a. Explain_I think he will be very social.
He is very empathetic which encourages friendships. He is extremely loyal and has had several friendships for a number of years.
Old 01-13-11, 10:56 AM

icnismyworld710 is on a distinguished road

a. 1-5

b. Female

a. Yes

b. No

a. Yes.

a. Yes

d. Skip

a. Yes,
iii. Sometimes

b. Fairly well. He/she got along fairly well with peers and made friends in a slightly longer period of time.

b. Quite stable

d. Rarely

d. Uncooperative

c. Somewhat confident

b. Not follow the rules

a. Yes.

a. Yes

b. No

d. Skip

a. Explain As of now, I feel like we're going to have a very long road ahead of us. My daughter is a very caring, loving, and good natured little girl, despite her ADHD and problems that come along with that. I just keep praying that as she gets older, her peers and friends will become more understanding and won't "dis-friend" her because of the way she responds or acts toward them. _______________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________
b. Skip

Thank you very much for your cooperation. I appreciate the time and effort that you gave for the completion of this questionnaire. The information you have provided will be of great value to this research. I value your contribution.
*ADDF has been used as a resource for this research.
Old 01-14-11, 02:49 PM
ADDvanced Member

maggie403 is just really nicemaggie403 is just really nicemaggie403 is just really nicemaggie403 is just really nice

b. 6-10
a. Male
b. No
a. Yes
a. Yes.
a. Yes
a. Yes,
iii. Sometimes
c. Not very stable
d. Rarely
c. Somewhat cooperative
b. Confident
b. Not follow the rules
b. Somewhat
a. Yes
b. No

a. Explain I am hopeful, since we have seen some improvement since beginning medication, that he will be able to learn additional skills by then and have a better social life. I don't anticipate him being a social butterfly by any means, but I see him with a small core group of good friends who all don't necessarily fit into the mainstream.