ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > General Parenting Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Parenting Issues The purpose of this forum is to discuss general parenting issues related to children with AD/HD(ADD & ADHD)

Old 04-26-12, 10:42 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,920 Times in 7,990 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute
Russell Barkley 20 best tips for helping your child manage.

http://www.caddac.ca/cms/CADDAC_pdf/...Principles.pdf

Very simple and to the point.
The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
alan1 (07-12-12), anonymouslyadd (06-06-12), beltoller (04-26-12), BgDadee (08-11-14), Bk2boys (03-03-16), Blanched Dubois (11-10-13), BR549 (04-26-12), Dizfriz (04-26-12), holmracing (04-26-12), iwakawa (04-15-13), Kazzarella (04-26-12), Khamy25 (12-10-15), Lisa_Mac (04-26-12), LynneC (04-26-12), MADD As A Hatte (10-28-13), Ms. Mango (04-27-12), namazu (04-28-12), Petite (02-14-17), sarahsweets (04-26-12), SASChii (11-08-12), someothertime (11-10-13), StacyMM (04-27-12)
Old 04-26-12, 12:47 PM
Contributor

beltoller is just really nicebeltoller is just really nicebeltoller is just really nicebeltoller is just really nice
Re: Russell Barkley 20 best tips for helping your child manage.

"ADHD cannot be trained out of a child"

Thats such a simple point, yet so hard to put into practice - even when you know it to be true.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to beltoller For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (04-27-12), ginniebean (04-26-12), namazu (04-28-12), Petite (02-14-17)
Old 04-26-12, 01:00 PM
Jr Member

Kazzarella is on a distinguished road

I literally just posted a very long post asking for some help with my child... and hey presto I look back on New Posts and see this!!! Thank you... I mean it THANK YOU!!! This is exactly what I wanted... I actually can't say thank you enough, especially after having a few really bad days and going to bed in tears feeling like a failure!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kazzarella For This Useful Post:
beltoller (05-02-12), Dizfriz (04-27-12), ginniebean (04-26-12), Gryphonfyre (01-25-16), LynneC (04-26-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-12, 01:02 PM

Thanked 10,438 Times in 3,291 Posts
Dizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginniebean View Post
These are about as good as you can get. Thanks Ginniebean!

Might I suggest a sticky of some start. I am sure Barkley would not mind putting a copy of this on the forum if it was requested. It might be worth checking out.

Dizfriz
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dizfriz For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (06-06-12), ginniebean (04-26-12), LynneC (04-26-12), pechemignonne (05-02-12), RedHairedWitch (07-12-12)
Old 04-26-12, 02:18 PM

Thanked 4,312 Times in 2,016 Posts
LynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizfriz View Post
These are about as good as you can get. Thanks Ginniebean!

Might I suggest a sticky ...
Dizfriz
Good suggestion, and done!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LynneC For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (04-27-12), ginniebean (05-02-12), someothertime (02-26-14)
Old 04-27-12, 01:46 PM

Thanked 10,438 Times in 3,291 Posts
Dizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond repute

This is something that might be useful for John to think on a bit,

Quote:
So don‟t take ADHD too seriously. It is not the end of the
world or a terminal illness. And other disorders are far more
severe than this one (autism, schizophrenia, severe mental
retardation).
Number 13- Keep Your Sense of Humor

Dizfriz
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dizfriz For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (05-02-12), LynneC (04-27-12)
Old 04-28-12, 02:33 AM

Thanked 1,002 Times in 753 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation

Be a "Scientific ADHDer".

I like this thread to.

Thanks GinnieBean

Quote:
18. Be a “Scientific” Parent
 Learn as much as you can about ADHD; become and
expert parent
 Read Books – check out the addwarehouse.com
 Use internet sites: Chadd.org, Caddec.org, ADD.org, others
 Read widely; use multiple sources
 Truth is an assembled thing
 Be very skeptical of what you see on TV and in the
trade media, like newspapers and magazines
 Hear anything worrisome? Check with an expert
 Experiment with different treatment options; what‟s
right for someone else‟s child is not necessarily right
for your child
beltoller (05-02-12), Dizfriz (04-28-12), ginniebean (04-28-12)
Old 05-02-12, 01:28 PM
Contributor

beltoller is just really nicebeltoller is just really nicebeltoller is just really nicebeltoller is just really nice

Ya, its true; you will become an expert ( to mean educated - au courant ) in ADHD. And if your child has anything other than simple/mild ADHD, you'll become knowledgeable in the whole spectrum as well. You'll become so versed in the scientific method that you'll begin to apply it to other areas in life.

Then, things start to get a little scary. This whole condrum of 'common wisdom' that seems to run everthing from the editorial section in a magazine to the chit-chat yadda-yadda-yadda the neighborhood mums have at the bus stop every morning will begin to appear to lie on increasingly shaky ground. You'll see how group dynamics plays much more of a role in why people believe what they believe rather than scientific, double-blind controlled evidence.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beltoller For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (05-02-12), pechemignonne (05-02-12)
Old 05-02-12, 01:45 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizfriz View Post
This is something that might be useful for John to think on a bit,

Number 13- Keep Your Sense of Humor

Dizfriz
Right. Me and the wife go to a married doctor team who have their own ADHD child. I can tell they are often quite exasberated by the education system's often draconian 'posture' that it thinks it needs to maintain. The doctor told me once, while discussing some of his frustrations, "bloody 'ell, why can't ya just let her be...she has a mind, an active one; let her explore a bit. Is it gonna bring down the whole world?"

I had to laugh...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to beltoller For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (05-02-12), ginniebean (05-02-12), salleh (07-12-12), Sunflower009 (04-03-17)
Old 06-06-12, 01:29 AM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 16,217 Times in 8,203 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for this Ginniebean.

I hope this will help young kids have a less stressful upbringing than most of us had. I wonder if it would have made a difference in my case though.
Dizfriz (06-06-12), ginniebean (06-06-12)
Old 06-06-12, 01:40 AM

Thanked 2,446 Times in 1,333 Posts
CheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud of

So glad this was posted! I'm going to share it with my friends who are teachers!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CheekyMonkey For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (06-06-12), ginniebean (06-06-12), LynneC (06-06-12)
Old 07-12-12, 12:13 AM

JamalJ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by beltoller View Post
"ADHD cannot be trained out of a child"

Thats such a simple point, yet so hard to put into practice - even when you know it to be true.
... Wish I had this list to show to my parents when I was a child...
Dizfriz (07-12-12)
Old 10-02-12, 08:42 PM

katherinec is on a distinguished road

I think this post saved my life! I was fully at my ropes end. I don't know that before I read these slides how narrowly I understood how ADHD was affecting my sweet sweet daughter. Our situation has been exacerbated by a week-on; week-off visitation plan with her bio-mom. Over the past 5 weeks, my husband and I have had complete custody - biomom has given up. She will come back in the picture when things are "fixed".

School for us was impossible. Our daughter missed 6 - 10 assignments a week. She wasn't disruptive but she wasn't defiant. She didn't complete assignments, she didn't turn anything in, her name was always missing at the top of her papers and we always got the same answer from her - I don't know why I can't remember, I don't know why I'm not doing well. Getting the grade for her wasn't enough to motivate her.

We started a points system as suggested in the slides and this week her teacher said he didn't recognize her. She has done every assignment as assigned in class. She is bringing everything home. She as her teacher described - a totally different child. I've decided to share with you the point system we developed. I think the key to our success so far is that we let her pick the prizes for her to work towards. We also did it in immediate, short term and long term prizes. She wants everything on each list so she is busting her hump.

What a blessing this site is!

Last edited by Ms. Mango; 10-02-12 at 09:00 PM.. Reason: Removed commercial link
The Following User Says Thank You to katherinec For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (10-02-12)
Old 10-17-12, 11:31 PM

PamelaM has a spectacular aura aboutPamelaM has a spectacular aura about

I had the opportunity to attend a workshop by Dr. Barkley and while I was familiar with his work, I found his presentation very informational, and enjoyable as he is a great presenter. I would highly recommend attending a workshop, watching him on you-tube, and/or reading his books. He did say he was retiring from doing workshops/presentations do the opportunity may be limited.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PamelaM For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (10-18-12), ginniebean (10-17-12)
Old 11-10-13, 08:40 AM

Location: you carry your claim wherever you go - bob wier ACE
Thanked 1,467 Times in 923 Posts
Blanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peripheral View Post
Be a "Scientific ADHDer".

I like this thread to.

Thanks GinnieBean
I like this too, I always think of things as an experiment it just makes life more snazzy for me I guess - I never had to think about how or why I did make it ok in business with undiagnosed adhd and ptsd running me totally unconscious for the most part - having a son with this and ODD - well - that's the real twist in my story

ODD is a bish lemme tell ya and equally not punishable unless you enjoy being a sadist like most of the culture - oh shiz did I poo on culture again - pfffffff- pardon moi

~ Sir Winston Churchill
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blanched Dubois For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (11-10-13), Gryphonfyre (01-25-16)