ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > General Parenting Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Parenting Issues The purpose of this forum is to discuss general parenting issues related to children with AD/HD(ADD & ADHD)

Old 11-15-16, 11:55 AM

Thanked 33,111 Times in 14,955 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute
"unconditional parenting" by alfie kohn

so, i've finally finished reading this book and i'm pretty happy with it, so thought i'd share.

it emphasizes two things:

1. behaviourism, with its series of rewards/punishments, fails to help children develop reasoning skills or a moral compass beyond "doing this gets me that".

2. there is a problem with "controlling" children if the goal is for them to develop the ability and desire to control themselves because it makes goals extrinsic (what will this get me or spare me) versus intrinsic ones (this is what i believe is the right thing to do).

obviously i'm waaaay oversimplifying because i'm not going to quote the book at length and i'd rather inspire others to read it and discuss with me than relying on my synopsis alone.

what i'm posting to ask is whether anyone else has read this book and attempted to apply its principles to parenting?

my e is still quite young (less than 20 months), but already i do find that some of the suggestions are quite helpful. i plan to try and incorporate more of them as she grows, but i'm curious if others have read the book and found it helpful.

cheers xx
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-22-16), Impromptu_DTour (11-15-16), mildadhd (11-15-16), namazu (11-15-16), Tetrahedra (11-15-16)
Old 11-15-16, 01:48 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 25,279 Times in 11,739 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: "unconditional parenting" by alfie kohn

I haven't read this book, but it sounds similar to the Parenting With Love and Logic book series, and the book How To Talk So Your Kids Will Listen ... And Listen So Your Kids Will Talk.

Unfortunately none of the ideas works with an autistic child to make communication easier. But many of the ideas have been helpful.

And have helped me be a more relaxed co-parent.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
namazu (11-15-16), peripatetic (11-15-16)
Old 11-15-16, 02:34 PM

peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
I haven't read this book, but it sounds similar to the Parenting With Love and Logic book series, and the book How To Talk So Your Kids Will Listen ... And Listen So Your Kids Will Talk.

Unfortunately none of the ideas works with an autistic child to make communication easier. But many of the ideas have been helpful.

And have helped me be a more relaxed co-parent.
this one is subtitled "moving from rewards and punishments to love and reason" so that does sound very similar to the ones you cited. i'll have to look into them. thanks!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (11-15-16), namazu (11-15-16)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-16, 08:15 PM
Registered

Thanked 17,743 Times in 8,895 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute

The principles sound sound.

Is it a long read?

I wouldn't mind reading it and passing on some pointers to the parents of my "little someone"

"I think David Archuleta's picture is starting to annoy me." - BellaVita

"A glass of water is healthier than a glass of vodka - but you don't substitute one for the other." - aeon

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Abi For This Useful Post:
namazu (11-15-16), peripatetic (11-15-16), stef (11-16-16)
Old 11-15-16, 09:07 PM

Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Abi, good to see you!

I did buy another copy of How To Listen To Your Kids for my niece's family.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 11-15-16, 11:12 PM

Thanked 1,112 Times in 837 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation

Edit, I have not read the book yet.

I am convinced that longterm unconditional parenting, as opposed to short term conditional parenting, works for all people, especially for children born with a more anxious temperament.

Love is an example of a positive feeling.

Safe positive feelings promote the development of self-regulation.

Many infants/toddlers/children/teens/young adults and adults who have deficits of self-regulation, were born with more emotionally sensitive temperaments.

G

Last edited by mildadhd; 11-15-16 at 11:37 PM.. Reason: Many infants/toddlers/children/teen/young adults and adults who have deficits of self-regulation, where born with more emotio
Old 11-15-16, 11:30 PM

it's more about developing a child with a social conscience or ethical compass or however you prefer to phrase it. more about respect and love and steering away from coercion or carrot/stick, punishment/reward systems. it's a process though, not a how to list.

i think of self regulation as still, with respect to ADHD, quite possibly needing more than love to develop self regulation. this would be less about shaping behaviour in favor of fostering creation of self. kids without self regulation still can need medication or other treatments.

with length, i want to say it's under 250. i just take forever nowadays...
The Following User Says Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
Abi (11-16-16)
Old 11-16-16, 12:15 AM

Thanked 1,112 Times in 837 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
it's more about developing a child with a social conscience or ethical compass or however you prefer to phrase it. more about respect and love and steering away from coercion or carrot/stick, punishment/reward systems. it's a process though, not a how to list.

i think of self regulation as still, with respect to ADHD, quite possibly needing more than love to develop self regulation. this would be less about shaping behaviour in favor of fostering creation of self. kids without self regulation still can need medication or other treatments.

with length, i want to say it's under 250. i just take forever nowadays...
I will look for the book, and after I finish it ..

..could we discuss these topics in parts, in posts under 250 , over a long period of time?

Because I mostly agree, and i am not sure why we are appearing to disagree?

Edit: It might have something to do with context?

Let me get back to you after I read the book.

G

Last edited by mildadhd; 11-16-16 at 12:29 AM.. Reason: It might have something to do with context?
The Following User Says Thank You to mildadhd For This Useful Post:
peripatetic (11-16-16)
Old 11-16-16, 05:28 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,045 Times in 14,226 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I havent read it but it sounds great and it sounds like something we have been lucky to just have adopted naturally. I have never supported the behavior/consequence/punishment model that seems to be so intrinsic to our society. I am sure people might say something like " your kids could do so much more if you made them do it.." or "what kind of moral compass will they have without xyz punishment?" But I can assure everyone here with confidence:
My kids are 20,16 and 13 and they are great kids. Compassionate, empathetic,smart,witty and kind-KIND. And thats what matters to me, not whether they remember to take out the recycles or keep their rooms spotless.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-22-16), Fuzzy12 (11-16-16), Little Missy (11-16-16), peripatetic (12-03-16), stef (11-16-16)
Old 11-16-16, 07:29 AM
Zen moderator

Thanked 26,781 Times in 13,007 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

This is just so reassuring!
I never thought it through at all; I'm naturally emphathetic and my son is rather sensitive; i just went with my instincts. sometimes i think, I should have been "stricter", but whenever i acted like a "typical" parent it felt false and wrong. The lack of punishment and rewards overall, has not made him demanding or poorly behaved.

I believe now, he may be in that category of "highly sensitive people", but he has absolutely no adhd.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-22-16), peripatetic (12-03-16)
Old 11-16-16, 10:32 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Caco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to all

Shrug, to each their own. Every kid is different, I hope that by telling my kids the reasons why I handled the situations the way I handled them, it will help them to understand their own moral compasses. As my 14 year old gets older I can see the defiance in his eyes that he disagrees, I then ask him why he disagrees. 9 times out of 10 he didn't understand my reasoning, so I explained it again, but every now and then he does have a different take on things that makes me reevaluate.

I don't think any kind of dictatorship would work with a child, they need to know they have a voice in their life. However, my kids are also aware of certain expectations and rules, and they are unbreakable. If you do not have an 80% average in your core subjects you are grounded is an example of one. Notice I didn't say an 80% in ALL subjects, I said an average. My boy dislikes science with a passion, I am lucky if he is passing, but a higher math grade (which he loves) can compensate for his science grade. He has the power over if he is grounded, but he also knows it is a firm rule.
Old 11-16-16, 10:55 AM
Zen moderator

Thanked 26,781 Times in 13,007 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

I totally understand; it's not that there werent expectations and rules.
It's just that there wasnt a set rule of reward/punishment
The Following User Says Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
peripatetic (11-16-16)
Old 11-16-16, 11:49 AM

Thanked 29,259 Times in 13,497 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

It seems like such a basic thing but I can't remember my parents using rewards or punishments for us. I don't think they ever even insisted on much. Still I wasn't a very badly behaved kid I think.

Maybe I should read the book. If I could read s book....
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
peripatetic (11-16-16)
Old 11-16-16, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
It seems like such a basic thing but I can't remember my parents using rewards or punishments for us. I don't think they ever even insisted on much. Still I wasn't a very badly behaved kid I think.

Maybe I should read the book. If I could read s book....
My parents didn't use rewards/punishments either, but it was understood that
they made all the decisions.

So here I am at age 65, a grandmother, and still indecisive because I never
had a chance to develop self-confidence and self-reliance by practicing making
decisions and seeing what the consequences would be.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-22-16), Fuzzy12 (11-16-16), peripatetic (11-16-16)
Old 11-16-16, 02:18 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Caco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
My parents didn't use rewards/punishments either, but it was understood that
they made all the decisions.

So here I am at age 65, a grandmother, and still indecisive because I never
had a chance to develop self-confidence and self-reliance by practicing making
decisions and seeing what the consequences would be.
Are you being serious?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caco3girl For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (11-16-16)