ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > General Parenting Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Parenting Issues The purpose of this forum is to discuss general parenting issues related to children with AD/HD(ADD & ADHD)

Old 10-12-10, 10:11 AM
ADDvanced Member

MyGuysMom is a jewel in the roughMyGuysMom is a jewel in the roughMyGuysMom is a jewel in the rough
Re: Proud Moments

Yesterday, on his own initiative, my son did all three "problem solver" homework problems during his time at after care. They were not due until Wednesday, but he got them all done. He was so proud of himself. This morning my husband checked them quickly and told him that one needed to be fixed, and he was so disappointed because he really wanted to say he did them himself, they were done early, and he could hand them in. Then, after erasing his work, my husband realized that my son had been right all along. Ha! They quickly put it back the way it was.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MyGuysMom For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (10-12-10), Lady Lark (10-12-10)
Old 10-13-10, 03:16 PM
ADDvanced Member

higgledy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGuysMom View Post
Yesterday, on his own initiative, my son did all three "problem solver" homework problems during his time at after care. They were not due until Wednesday, but he got them all done. He was so proud of himself. This morning my husband checked them quickly and told him that one needed to be fixed, and he was so disappointed because he really wanted to say he did them himself, they were done early, and he could hand them in. Then, after erasing his work, my husband realized that my son had been right all along. Ha! They quickly put it back the way it was.
I don't even know your son, but I am proud of him, too. It is the little wins.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to higgledy For This Useful Post:
Lady Lark (10-13-10), MyGuysMom (10-19-10), SquarePeg (10-25-12)
Old 10-18-10, 09:48 PM
Forum Guru

Justtess has much to be proud ofJusttess has much to be proud ofJusttess has much to be proud ofJusttess has much to be proud ofJusttess has much to be proud ofJusttess has much to be proud ofJusttess has much to be proud ofJusttess has much to be proud ofJusttess has much to be proud ofJusttess has much to be proud of

My DS17 and I had a conversation recently about his medication-s. It was basically about IR and XR, his metabolism, how protiens remove heavy metals, etc... kinda above my head in pharmacutical knowledge. He was able to explain how the strands in XR is digested from the ends... etc, etc, and IR doesn't have the same structure... blah blah blah... how protiens are attract certain metals atomically... etc, etc, (cough, cough). He's so much more knowledgeable in chemistry and biology than I was at 17.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justtess For This Useful Post:
Lady Lark (10-19-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-10, 10:04 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

ADDisme2010 is just really niceADDisme2010 is just really niceADDisme2010 is just really niceADDisme2010 is just really nice

Being impulsive can sometimes be a good thing. For me, being impulsive helped me to make the right decision
Old 12-03-10, 09:39 AM
ADDvanced Member

MyGuysMom is a jewel in the roughMyGuysMom is a jewel in the roughMyGuysMom is a jewel in the rough

Last night my son went to his first Yu Gi Oh tournament. It was at a local comic book store, and it sounded like there would be lots of kids, but when he and my husband arrived it was mostly teens and adults. My son walked right and got involved. The store owner played him first and then gave him tips, explained rules he had wrong, and went through his deck pulling out cards he couldn't use for various reasons. Then he continued to play for 3.5 hours! When he came home he said, "mom, I lost every round, but I'm more determined than ever." He's going to spend time putting together the best deck he can and then go back. He also said, "what's the fun in winning all the time - that would be boring." He didn't say it this way, but the gist was that he learned alot from losing. I told him how impressed I was with his attitude and how that would take him far in life. Lots of kids would have been upset and given up, but not him!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MyGuysMom For This Useful Post:
Lady Lark (12-04-10), MuscleMama (12-12-10), mykidscome1st (12-27-10)
Old 12-12-10, 10:23 AM
ADDvanced Member

Dovie is a splendid one to beholdDovie is a splendid one to beholdDovie is a splendid one to beholdDovie is a splendid one to beholdDovie is a splendid one to beholdDovie is a splendid one to beholdDovie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGuysMom View Post
Last night my son went to his first Yu Gi Oh tournament. It was at a local comic book store, and it sounded like there would be lots of kids, but when he and my husband arrived it was mostly teens and adults. My son walked right and got involved. The store owner played him first and then gave him tips, explained rules he had wrong, and went through his deck pulling out cards he couldn't use for various reasons. Then he continued to play for 3.5 hours! When he came home he said, "mom, I lost every round, but I'm more determined than ever." He's going to spend time putting together the best deck he can and then go back. He also said, "what's the fun in winning all the time - that would be boring." He didn't say it this way, but the gist was that he learned alot from losing. I told him how impressed I was with his attitude and how that would take him far in life. Lots of kids would have been upset and given up, but not him!
As a long time strategy card game player, I can officially say that your son is a faster learner than most of those players. Usually they're so sore at losing they miss the point that they learned something!

My little proud moment is that this week my son played not one, but TWO consecutive days with three or less time outs and had NO incidents at school on Friday. Considering we usually do upwards of 20 in three hours I'd say that warrants a proud mama moment!
The Following User Says Thank You to Dovie For This Useful Post:
Lady Lark (12-12-10)
Old 01-03-11, 11:14 PM

Ferris_mom is on a distinguished road

We had a proud moment while on vacation in Florida. My mom and I took Ferris, his brother and their cousins rollerskating. It was Ferris and Nikolai's first time, so of course there was some falling over happening. Ferris took a bad fall and was refusing to try again, basically he had shut down. This went on for about 20 minutes, then, after I had been bothering him to try one more time, he did...just to stop me "from bugging him", and he LOVED it! He even fell a few more times and picked himself up and kept trying! I was so proud of him!!

Grateful for both of my boys...I wouldn't know what to do without them!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ferris_mom For This Useful Post:
Lady Lark (01-04-11), MyGuysMom (01-04-11)
Old 01-04-11, 01:35 AM

mykidscome1st is on a distinguished road

This weekend was "christmas" at my mom's and I was so proud of my son. He played quietly for atleast an hour with his cousin.

My son's 9th birthday just passed and something that he has never done before is have a real conversation on the phone.

On his birthday my mom called to wish him a happy birthday and he sat and talked with her and his uncle for atleast 15 mins about his toys and how his day was going.

It is those little things that make you so proud!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mykidscome1st For This Useful Post:
Lady Lark (01-04-11), MyGuysMom (01-04-11)
Old 01-28-11, 05:59 PM
Jr Member

avon will become famous soon enough

I gave my son who has ADHD some money to go and buy himself some sweets and a mag, he came home with a small bunch of daffs for me and sweets for his younger brother and nothing for himself ;o) I cried!
The Following User Says Thank You to avon For This Useful Post:
Lady Lark (01-28-11)
Old 03-02-11, 02:29 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Codykins is a splendid one to beholdCodykins is a splendid one to beholdCodykins is a splendid one to beholdCodykins is a splendid one to beholdCodykins is a splendid one to beholdCodykins is a splendid one to beholdCodykins is a splendid one to behold

My son (9yrs old) wanted a cell phone, I gave him a challenge. Make the honor roll for two marking periods this year and you can have one.

He made it the first and again the second (all subject an 82 or above)!! We were so proud!!!!!

Then he said to me, next year in 5th grade there is a high honor roll. I said to him, well honey that is something to work towards.. he said with excitement and enthusiasim!

"I'm gonna"!!!!!!!"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Codykins For This Useful Post:
Lady Lark (03-03-11), MuscleMama (03-02-11)
Old 03-11-11, 09:50 AM

Jaydens_Mom is on a distinguished road

my proud moment isn't really a fully-medicated moment, but exciting still...

This morning ( before having his medication ) we had to have a talk about him getting out of bed in the middle of the night and turning on his tv. I tell him ( to "scare" him into not doing things he shouldn't ) that i have a microphone hidden in his room and that if he so much as snores in his sleep, i can hear him clear as day in my room.

So i said to him " I can hear you get out of bed, I can hear the bed squeak, I can hear you walk to your dresser, I can hear you grab the remote control, I can hear you get back up into bed, and I can hear you turn on your tv."

At this point (as im talking) he was playing with a rope and seeming to not pay attention. Usually (before we started the medication) he wouldn't have remembered ANYTHING of what I had said, and certainly not with something in his hands as that just made it worse because he'd hyper-focus on that instead of on me.

BUT, today when I asked him to repeat what I had said, he replied "You said you can hear me get out of bed, you can hear me get my remote, you can hear me get back into bed, and you can hear me turn on my TV."

Now, Im sure that this is just a bit of the medication left in his system that helped him to focus just that tiny bit as he just started and seems to be going through a build-up stage, but I was very astonished by how much of what i said he was able to recite back to me.

This is VERY unlike my DS.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaydens_Mom For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (03-11-11), Lady Lark (03-11-11)
Old 03-29-11, 11:40 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,808 Posts
Lady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond repute

Steven had an extra credit assignment last week that he actually did! He was put on war rations, so for two days he only had so many sweets, video game/tv time, minuets of music, etc. When he came home from school the first day he already had al his rations figured out, when and how he'd spend them, and told me "It's worth a shot."

I can't believe he was even willing to try this since it really cut his came time by a lot, and he usually hates school work. But he wanted to, and he stuck with it.

I'm really glad that worked. Those would have been terrible last words.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Lark For This Useful Post:
Brob2 (07-09-11)
Old 03-30-11, 02:12 AM

punkyntif is on a distinguished road

My 6 year old played outside with the neighborhoods kids for 2 hours today WITHOUT one single arguement! Thats big because he is usually very hateful and rude to his friends at some point during their playdate.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to punkyntif For This Useful Post:
Brob2 (07-09-11), Lady Lark (03-31-11)
Old 07-09-11, 10:25 PM
Jr Member

2Tired4This is on a distinguished road

Today was dd's 8th birthday party, and she did really well! Definitely lots of "reminder moments," but no meltdowns and no major problems, even after all the kids left and she was coming down from the overload excitement mode.

One particularly proud moment: in her room after dinner, I was reminding her of a small chore she was expected to do, and she obviously didn't want to go do it. Instead of a battle, though, she very clearly and calmly explained that she wasn't leaving her room because she had a problem, and she asked me to get her little brother out of the room so she could tell me about it. Turned out there was a small discomfort issue in a private body area she needed my help to solve.

a.) she recognized that she couldn't solve the problem on her own, and didn't hide it from me
b.) she recognized that privacy was necessary and appropriate to the moment
c.) she stayed calm and was able to express herself without a tantrum

Three big steps in one single encounter. We we both SO Proud!!!
Brob2 (07-09-11), Lady Lark (07-10-11)
Old 10-25-12, 04:07 PM
Jr Member

kylieshannon08 is on a distinguished road

Hi i just wanted to share this boast about ny 4yo ds he lives to walk aeound the house and sing this song.

dr dr give me the news i got a bad case of loving mummy.

When he sings it it makes my heart melt and i just go awwww