ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Were you the most sensitive child in your class ?
Yes, or I could definitely stand on the podium 16 76.19%
I am not sure, don't remember 2 9.52%
NO. 2 9.52%
Stupid question 1 4.76%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-16-17, 11:01 AM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 12,637 Times in 6,233 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Were you oversensitive as child ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
I do not understand how the awareness/education of more sensitive temperament could be a bad thing?

When a caregiver is punishing a child for having inherited hypersensitive/hyperreactive temperament, part of the problem is obviously a lack of awareness/education on the caregiver's part.

m
If a caregiver is punishing a child for their reactions to things...they shouldn't be doing what they're doing. They're in the wrong profession or are likely poor parents to the child.

We don't punish. We don't want them to think they're bad or wrong for being what I personally...(for right or for wrong)...consider being "oversensitive" to certain things. That'd be like telling my mom that her fear of spiders were ridiculous, or that I'm bad for being scared of heights.
We just don't want them to hurt themselves!
So we do a lot of soothing, and praising and what I like to do (in the case of wind) is become like a solid rock for them. A big fat giant rock lol. I remain completely calm and act as if for me personally the wind doesn't bother me and I just see myself as toughing up. Standing a bit taller. Being a bit more sturdy. I do this so they can latch onto me (not physically...I'm talking like a slight breeze here)...to be a constant, unchanging, unflinching person they can lean on through their fears...like I'm a light house or something.

Punishing them for their oversensitivities is something I can't even begin to imagine doing. These kids are awesome and have it hard enough...anyone who punishes or teases them for their fears are a bunch of a-holes who don't deserve to have such great kids in their lives.

Luckily we live in a small town with a lot of professionals and programs set in place for people of all sorts of needs (from mental, to developmental, to the elderly...and even for trauma victims). I like to think these 2 boys are pretty well taken care of and loved .

I don't like the word invalidated...lol. It trips me up

((((((((((((((MOM))))))))))))))
I'll always fondly remember.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (07-16-17), mildadhd (07-16-17), userguide (07-17-17)
Old 07-16-17, 11:19 AM
Contributor

PoppnNSailinMan is just really nicePoppnNSailinMan is just really nicePoppnNSailinMan is just really nicePoppnNSailinMan is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveddd View Post
while its shown adhd babys have an irritable temperament , only 50% of irritable/sensitive babies go onto ADHD
You say that "adhd babys have an irritable temperament," but is this true of all ADHD babies? Does it vary by whether they grow up to have more hyperactive/impulsive symptoms or grow up to have mostly inattentive symptoms? My mother has told me that I was always a really good baby, unlike some of my cousins who, as far as I know, did not even grow up to have ADHD.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
The Following User Says Thank You to PoppnNSailinMan For This Useful Post:
userguide (07-17-17)
Old 07-16-17, 12:53 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

mildadhd has disabled reputation

No baby has AD(H)D.

There is no such thing as "AD(H)D babies" from a developmental perspective.

There are babies that are born with hypersensitive temperaments.

Development of neocortical self-regulation (or lack of) occurs during the first few years of life.

Being born with a more sensitive temperament may make delay in development more likely, depending on the individual temperament and circumstances.

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 07-16-17 at 01:09 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to mildadhd For This Useful Post:
userguide (07-17-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-17, 12:55 PM

Thanked 10,494 Times in 5,179 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppnNSailinMan View Post
You say that "adhd babys have an irritable temperament," but is this true of all ADHD babies? Does it vary by whether they grow up to have more hyperactive/impulsive symptoms or grow up to have mostly inattentive symptoms? My mother has told me that I was always a really good baby, unlike some of my cousins who, as far as I know, did not even grow up to have ADHD.
i dont say it, russell barkley did

when he talks about ADHD, its usually combined
Little Missy (07-16-17), PoppnNSailinMan (07-16-17), userguide (07-17-17)
Old 07-16-17, 01:21 PM

Quote:

while its shown adhd babys have an irritable temperament , only 50% of irritable/sensitive babies go onto ADHD
If 50% of babies with irritable temperaments go on to be diagnosed with ADHD a few years later, why is Dr Barkley calling all the babies with irritable temperament "ADHD babies".

Irritable temperament does not mean the babies have ADHD, but a more sensitive temperament can make interference in early development and later being diagnosed with ADHD more likely.

M
userguide (07-17-17)
Old 07-16-17, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopathetic View Post
If a caregiver is punishing a child for their reactions to things...they shouldn't be doing what they're doing. They're in the wrong profession or are likely poor parents to the child.

We don't punish. We don't want them to think they're bad or wrong for being what I personally...(for right or for wrong)...consider being "oversensitive" to certain things. That'd be like telling my mom that her fear of spiders were ridiculous, or that I'm bad for being scared of heights.
We just don't want them to hurt themselves!
So we do a lot of soothing, and praising and what I like to do (in the case of wind) is become like a solid rock for them. A big fat giant rock lol. I remain completely calm and act as if for me personally the wind doesn't bother me and I just see myself as toughing up. Standing a bit taller. Being a bit more sturdy. I do this so they can latch onto me (not physically...I'm talking like a slight breeze here)...to be a constant, unchanging, unflinching person they can lean on through their fears...like I'm a light house or something.

Punishing them for their oversensitivities is something I can't even begin to imagine doing. These kids are awesome and have it hard enough...anyone who punishes or teases them for their fears are a bunch of a-holes who don't deserve to have such great kids in their lives.

Luckily we live in a small town with a lot of professionals and programs set in place for people of all sorts of needs (from mental, to developmental, to the elderly...and even for trauma victims). I like to think these 2 boys are pretty well taken care of and loved .

I don't like the word invalidated...lol. It trips me up

I wonder if the same people that feel "invalidated", by the terms "oversensitive temperaments" also feel "invalidated" when Dr. Barkley says people with ADHD have "irritable temperaments"?

In general, saying a baby is born with a "irritable temperament", is the same thing as saying a baby is born with a "hypersensitive temperament".

M
psychopathetic (07-16-17), userguide (07-17-17)
Old 07-16-17, 01:52 PM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Thanked 17,965 Times in 8,806 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
If 50% of babies with irritable temperaments go on to be diagnosed with ADHD a few years later, why is Dr Barkley calling all the babies with irritable temperament "ADHD babies".
Is he actually saying that, or is he only referring to those who go on to be diagnosed with ADHD?

OP: For general purposes of this discussion, I don't think it's a "stupid question". I do think that "oversensitive" is a poorly-defined term that might mean different things to different people. What do you mean when you say "oversensitive"?

I think members are referring to a wide range of things as "oversensitive" because we don't share a standard idea of what that term means.

For what it's worth, I'm not convinced that everyone with ADHD is/was necessarily more "sensitive" than others -- emotionally, physically, or in other ways.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
aeon (07-16-17), daveddd (07-16-17), PoppnNSailinMan (07-16-17), sarahsweets (07-16-17), userguide (07-17-17)
Old 07-16-17, 02:34 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 28,703 Times in 12,973 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post
For what it's worth, I'm not convinced that everyone with ADHD is/was necessarily more "sensitive" than others -- emotionally, physically, or in other ways.
I agree> To me it seems to be more of an emotional regulation issue that goes across the board with all the emotions someone with adhd may have.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
namazu (07-16-17), userguide (07-17-17)
Old 07-16-17, 03:23 PM

daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post
Is he actually saying that, or is he only referring to those who go on to be diagnosed with ADHD?

OP: For general purposes of this discussion, I don't think it's a "stupid question". I do think that "oversensitive" is a poorly-defined term that might mean different things to different people. What do you mean when you say "oversensitive"?

I think members are referring to a wide range of things as "oversensitive" because we don't share a standard idea of what that term means.

yes, my wording was bad, as always

it was people with ADHD, and how they were as babies

"For what it's worth, I'm not convinced that everyone with ADHD is/was necessarily more "sensitive" than others -- emotionally, physically, or in other ways.[/quote]''''''

agreed, everyone with ADHD isn't anything, we know it's a heterogenous disorder with many causes

though some absolutely are

especially the phenotypes with a proven genetic diathesis (fragile x is the only name that i can remember, but there is a few more and it's probably only equals a quarter of ADHD people tops)

i try not to, but at times i may generalize, when it's a fact that ADHD is made up of people with several different pathways to the symptoms
aeon (07-16-17), namazu (07-16-17), someothertime (07-20-17), userguide (07-17-17)
Old 07-16-17, 03:48 PM

i think

emotional sensitivity -more prone to at least some emotions (mainly anger and fear) science shows this is true in at least some cases of ADHD

physical oversenstive-cloth tags , lights, sound etc- definitely the case for some, even alexander crichton mentioned it in the 1790s

interpersonal sensitivity - sensitive to criticism , possibly when it isnt even there 'thin skin'

again true for a large amount of ADHD, in my experience thomas brown is the best source for this
aeon (07-16-17), namazu (07-16-17), someothertime (07-19-17), userguide (07-17-17)
Old 07-16-17, 03:53 PM

with the emotional sensitivity the way I've interpreted the research is that the visceral part of the emotion is the stronger than average part, the strictly nervous system, heart primitive response

not the cognitive portion that would turn us into some super empathetic caring heroes
userguide (07-17-17)
Old 07-16-17, 06:10 PM
Contributor

PoppnNSailinMan is just really nicePoppnNSailinMan is just really nicePoppnNSailinMan is just really nicePoppnNSailinMan is just really nice

Quote:
again true for a large amount of ADHD, in my experience thomas brown is the best source for this
I've got quite a few books about ADHD but haven't read anything by Thomas Brown yet. But his books look interesting. I'll have to get some of them. Which ones are the best?
  • Attention Deficit Disorder: The Unfocused Mind in Children and Adults (2006)
  • A New Understanding of ADHD in Children and Adults: Executive Function Impairments (2013)
  • Smart But Stuck: Emotions in Teens and Adults with ADHD (2014)
  • Outside the Box: Rethinking Add/Adhd in Children and Adults - a Practical Guide (2017)
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
userguide (07-17-17)
Old 07-16-17, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppnNSailinMan View Post
I've got quite a few books about ADHD but haven't read anything by Thomas Brown yet. But his books look interesting. I'll have to get some of them. Which ones are the best?
  • Attention Deficit Disorder: The Unfocused Mind in Children and Adults (2006)
  • A New Understanding of ADHD in Children and Adults: Executive Function Impairments (2013)
  • Smart But Stuck: Emotions in Teens and Adults with ADHD (2014)
  • Outside the Box: Rethinking Add/Adhd in Children and Adults - a Practical Guide (2017)
smart but stuck, the other read more like a barkley book(just mean it's just pretty much the same info listed the same way a bunch of times)

just bought outside the box yesterday, I'll let you know if it has anything new in a few days when i read it
PoppnNSailinMan (07-16-17), userguide (07-17-17)
Old 07-16-17, 06:48 PM

here is the full E version of smart but stuck if you'd like it poppn

https://play.google.com/books/reader...ver&pg=GBS.PP1
aeon (07-16-17), PoppnNSailinMan (07-16-17), userguide (07-17-17)
Old 07-16-17, 08:21 PM
Contributor

Quote:
smart but stuck, the other read more like a barkley book(just mean it's just pretty much the same info listed the same way a bunch of times)

just bought outside the box yesterday, I'll let you know if it has anything new in a few days when i read it
Thanks for the recommendations and I look forward to hearing what you think of Outside the Box.
userguide (07-17-17)