ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Resources, Tools & Organizational Tips > Household Tips and Tricks
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-17, 10:48 AM
Contributor

Location: ny upstate where there are cows and trees and stuff.
DJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to all
Where is my (fill in the blank here) !!!??

Like many of us with inattentive ADD, I keep misplacing stuff. I know the answers usually given for this issue, but maybe somebody has a tip that would click for me.

I've tried the bowl to hold my wallet, keys, and phone thing. It works when I don't put them down elsewhere. I finally bit the bullet and bought a Tile, and then lost both my phone and the keys at the same time. If you don't have your phone, you can't make your key chain beep, and visa versa. When it works it is a beautiful thing.

The phone issue has been partly solved when a buddy found me a case for it, with a holder that clips to my belt. I still will put the phone down or in my pocket when I'm not thinking. Today, I have lost my phone holder. I'm sure it will pop up soon, instead of the two weeks it took to find my trailer registration and the week it took for me to find another set of keys I had hanging on my fridge all the while. Or not.

Short of buying tracking devices for everything I use, I can't seem to get a handle on this. Any ideas?
The Following User Says Thank You to DJ Bill For This Useful Post:
aeon (07-17-17)
Old 05-18-17, 11:47 AM

Pihlaja is on a distinguished road
Re: Where is my (fill in the blank here) !!!??

I started putting my keys and wallet in the same place every time I come home. I've gotten to the point where it's rather automatic so I can usually find them where they are supposed to be. This works because I only need the keys or the wallet outside my home and have no need to carry them around inside. They are either with me in my bag or they are in their containers at home. (I admit that sometimes they still end up on the kitchen table.)

I don't have such a routine with my phones. I lose them regularly when I'm at home. Sometimes I find a phone on the hat rack by the door since it was in my hand when I came inside or in the bookshelf or on a pile or under a pile... I've started taking any phones I find to the same place where I keep my keys and wallet. I find I loose my smartphone less often since it makes noises every now and then and I use various apps and the timer regularly. Could you use the timer on the phone during the day so that the phone would make some noise at regular intervals and so you would remember to keep track of it?

The only way for me not to loose things is to learn to put them in the same place every time I stop using them. I don't have any magical solutions that make this easy. Dana White at "a Slob Comes Clean" has a good question for deciding where an item should live: "If I needed this item, where would I look for it?" You might try to notice what's the first place you go to look for something you have lost and perhaps try to work on making that the items permanent home.

Would a phone lanyard work for you or would it just be annoying?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pihlaja For This Useful Post:
aeon (07-17-17), DJ Bill (05-19-17)
Old 05-18-17, 05:26 PM
Contributor

DJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to all

If I can keep the phone in its holder or in my hand, I'll have no problem...It's when I am changing and the phone rings and I take it out of its holder to talk, then keep talking while I am doing something else......that the holder disappeared, as it didn't have a tracker and when I realized I did not have it was 30 min later.

I'm more asking in general tips for things that don't have a particular home. Maybe I really need to get serious about everything has a place and either it is in my hand or that place.

I have a belt thing that my key ring clips into. That works pretty well. A phone lanyard would get in my way too much to use it all the time. I've thought about the wallet on a chain for that issue, but it is important enough I will end up with a tracker in it.

After I dropped my phone while shoveling a snowbank and buried it, I knew I had to change something! (Found it 2 or 3 weeks later when the snow melted. )
aeon (07-17-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-17, 09:04 PM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Thanked 18,443 Times in 9,103 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have any useful advice, but would like to note that the title of this thread is (no kidding!) the name of a game frequently played at my house...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-17, 03:47 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,285 Times in 13,271 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

This is what I bought to not lose my phone. I love it.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-17, 04:16 AM

Pihlaja is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Bill View Post
I'm more asking in general tips for things that don't have a particular home. Maybe I really need to get serious about everything has a place and either it is in my hand or that place.
Things you use regularly that don't have a specific permanent place are difficult for me too. You use them and put them down wherever and then have no well-used memory pattern for finding them again. I just thought that what if something had multiple permanent places? A specific spot in every room just for it? That would at least lessen the places you would need to look for something you lost. If you managed to keep it up most of the time it might make things easier. I think I'll try this with my phone. Thanks for starting this thread, it made me think about this. I had gotten too used to the idea that phones are inevitably lost at regular intervals
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pihlaja For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-17, 10:22 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post

This is what I bought to not lose my phone. I love it.
Whaddaya callit?

I like the idea of being able to hang the phone from a hook..
aeon (07-17-17)
Old 07-14-17, 10:53 PM
Contributor

20thcenturyfox is a jewel in the rough20thcenturyfox is a jewel in the rough20thcenturyfox is a jewel in the rough

I have made huge strides just this year with keys and phone, after I made just these 2 things a New Year's Resolution. But not just any old New Year's Resolution...this year I realized that I needed an Implementation Plan that addressed all the complications, plus a fun reward/penalty system.

Of course one needs a regular resting place for these essential items. But with phones the problem is slightly complicated by the need to recharge batteries. With keys, and for women, the problem is slightly complicated by changing purses and clothing that may or may not have pockets.

I decided that since most purses have an outer pocket on them somewhere, having the keys in an outer pocket and my purse on a "runway" near the door would be the designated resting spot for keys.

I don't carry the phone on me, so the phone should also be in my purse except when charging or in actual use. Charging the phone overnight is one of the items on my "evening routine" (good luck with that!). Sometimes it gets done, sometimes not. I carry an extra charged phone battery in my purse just in case.

The Implementation Plan also includes a reward/penalty system, checking up on myself now and then: go look in my purse for keys and phone. Are they where they should be? If so, I throw my arms up in a Victory gesture and do a little happy dance. If not, go round them up and then do 10 crunches or 20 jumping jacks.

As ridiculous as this sounds, I have to say this slightly goofy physical aspect has made a huge difference. No more self-loathing, just fix it and do 20 jumping jacks. Occasionally I still drop the ball, but in recent weeks it is mostly happy dances. I am even starting to think of myself as basically organized and in control.

Oh, but I also keep a list of things I have misplaced and am waiting to find. Currently MIA are my birth certificate and the little red flashlight that is supposed to reside by the computer.
The Following User Says Thank You to 20thcenturyfox For This Useful Post:
aeon (07-17-17)
Old 07-15-17, 07:14 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,285 Times in 13,271 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Bill View Post
If I can keep the phone in its holder or in my hand, I'll have no problem...It's when I am changing and the phone rings and I take it out of its holder to talk, then keep talking while I am doing something else......that the holder disappeared, as it didn't have a tracker and when I realized I did not have it was 30 min later.

I have a belt thing that my key ring clips into. That works pretty well. A phone lanyard would get in my way too much to use it all the time. I've thought about the wallet on a chain for that issue, but it is important enough I will end up with a tracker in it.

After I dropped my phone while shoveling a snowbank and buried it, I knew I had to change something! (Found it 2 or 3 weeks later when the snow melted. )

I bought this and its saved me. Its long enough that I can use my phone while it hangs.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
aeon (07-17-17), stef (07-17-17)
Old 07-17-17, 11:21 AM
Contributor

A follow up....I purchased a set of tracking devices (Tile, if its allowed to say specific brands.) and while life is not perfect now, it works great for figuring out if you need to go back to where you last had them or if they are just slid underneath the seat in the car. I have one in my wallet, one on each key ring, and my cell is tied in to them. It is not foolproof as sometimes I can try to ring my cell which ends up being in plain sight, and it won't ring.

Well worth the hundred bucks it cost me on sale for five. I have saved all sorts of time.

I even think it is training me to keep stuff in the right place.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DJ Bill For This Useful Post:
aeon (07-17-17), stef (07-17-17)
Old 07-17-17, 12:50 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 12,619 Times in 5,595 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

What I did to keep track of my keys, wallet, and phone is this:

I developed a deep neurosis about knowing where they are so I always know where they are, because if I don’t, I will have a near-panic attack, and who wants that?

And now, in the spirit of the thread...

Cheers,
Ian
20thcenturyfox (07-28-17), stef (07-17-17)
Old 07-17-17, 02:57 PM
Zen moderator

Thanked 26,117 Times in 12,775 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

always , in the purse
but which purse, and which pocket...?
The Following User Says Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (07-28-17)