ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 05-09-18, 10:57 AM

OddballRoberts is on a distinguished road
My Vyvanse and needed Dr. advice please...

Hey gang,
I'm posted about this before and always got great responses so here it goes. I've been on Vyvanse for about 7 years and love it. I take 70mg daily and at first, it lasted the whole work day. As expected, it gradually tapered off and I was noticing the dropoff around 2pm every day. So, for the last 4 to 5 years, I've been advocating for a booster in the afternoons to help me get through my day at work. My job is boring, complicated and extremely detailed and I'd probably be without my job if it weren't for Vyvanse. With the prescribing doctor, he would say no to the booster and would offer other methods to keep my attention going like meditation, etc. A few years ago, I had to switch to my wife's insurance due to costs and got a new doctor, a psychiatrist. At first, Kaiser permanente didn't offer Vyvanse so I had to change meds immediately. We tried everything and eventually, he got special permission to get me back on Vyvanse at 70mg. At that time, I let him know my previous problem of the drug wearing off and what not. He said he cannot go above 70mg daily of that drug. He could reduce it and give me like 10mg of Adderal. We tried and didnt work so I just shut up and have been on Vyvanse 70mg daily. It's a year later and I pleaded my case again and was rebuffed. Instead, he uppped my Effexor to 225mg daily from 175mg about a week ago. Long story short, I'm frustrated and friends have told me to try another doctor but how will that look? Should I? What am i doing wrong or what should I be telling him? It just seems like it's a no win situation with him and I'm frustrated. I need to be solid all day long at work and the last 6 months, i'm not. Any advice would help. Thank you!
Old 05-09-18, 11:30 AM
Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all
Re: My Vyvanse and needed Dr. advice please...

Speaking very generally, when the problem is that the extended release/prodrug medication doesn't last long enough, it's more effective to introduce a booster dose than it is to increase the dose of the Vyvanse.

Adderall IR and Dexedrine IR are relatively cheap, so insurance might be more willing to cover those. Also, your doctor might be cautious about raising your overall dose of stimulants due to medical liability. In other words, it might be helpful for you to figure out whether the issue is due to money or medical liability (or both).
Old 05-09-18, 11:47 AM

Yes, you are right. I dont think i explained myself well. I would be ok with a booster but he won't even do that. It could be a medical thing.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-18, 05:10 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,212 Times in 14,319 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

So he was considering a booster with a lower dose of the vyvanse? Or no booster at all?

I carried a watermelon?
Old 06-13-18, 02:04 PM

Sorry such a late response but yes, he will only do a booster if he lowers the vyvanse. For example, he'd do 60mg of Vyvanse and a 10mg booster. I may just have to get a second opinion.
Old 06-13-18, 02:25 PM
Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddballRoberts View Post
Sorry such a late response but yes, he will only do a booster if he lowers the vyvanse. For example, he'd do 60mg of Vyvanse and a 10mg booster. I may just have to get a second opinion.
Um, does your doc even realize that 10mg dexedrine is roughly equivalent to 30mg Vyvanse? So if he's so concerned about not raising your daily total stimulant dose, he should be lowering Vyvanse to around 40mg.

Have you considered just getting off of Vyvanse completely and switching to IR dexedrine? My guess is that your insurance is doesn't want to cover Vyvanse since it's so expensive, and that's why your doc is having so much hassle.