ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Eating Disorders/Weight Issues/Body Image
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-18, 06:31 PM
ADDvanced Member

traze23 will become famous soon enough
Addicted to Food/Sugar

I've been struggling with my diet as long as I can remember. When I was younger I wouldn't just eat three meals a day and a snack, I would binge a lot. Its gotten much worse today because I'm an adult who has a source of income. Back then, I was a kid who had no money so I couldn't buy candy or go to McDonalds whenever I wanted, I would eat or binge on whatever was at home which atleast wasn't as unhealthy.

Today, I'm in crisis mode. First and foremost, I can go to the fast food restaurant down the street and get a custard, order pizza for only $8, every week, I go to the mall because there is a place which sells cookies I really like, etc. Food and sugar are basically drugs to me and I'm addicted to them. Its gotten so bad that I'm considering giving my credit cards and money to my mom so I can be forced to stop this. For the past 10 years, I've spent on average about $3000 a year on just fast food.

I'm also noticing after having a meal, whether healthy or unhealthy, I get hungry again right away(maybe in 1 or 2 hours). I've had depression for 20 years, it make me wonder how much has my prolonged depression and it getting worse over the years, affected my hunger?
Old 04-13-18, 09:25 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Caco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to all
Re: Addicted to Food/Sugar

I know this is going to sound weird, but have you seen those Rob Lowe commercials for Atkins? I did and decided to just read what it was about so I could ignore yet another wacko rabbit food diet that I would never be able to live on.

It turns out on Atkins I am encouraged to eat all I want of Steak, Hamburger, eggs, veggies, sausage, cheese, lobster, shrimp, cold cuts, avocados...etc...no fruit, no sugar, no bread. But they have these shake things and they are very yummy! You aren't even suppose to watch your calories, it's nuts right? Couldn't possibly work! I've lost 20 pounds in 3 weeks AND it robs you of your appetite. So without carbs in my life it doesn't trip my hunger.

So go to mcds, get a burger no bun. Go to BK, get the chicken strips, go to DQ and get the hot dog no bun....this diet is so damn easy it's laughable! There is even an app, and bonus side effect, more energy, better sleep. I haven't found a thing wrong with this diet, it's a lot of my favorite foods. Maybe you should try this approach for 2 weeks and see if you feel any better?
Old 05-16-18, 09:01 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,743 Times in 1,906 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

Have you seen professionals yet about this? I mean both a physical body physician as well as a psychiatrist (start with psychiatrist for diagnosis and then psychologist for therapy).

I say try atkins too but I'm afraid if it's psychological, being filled won't stop you. It's odd that you get hungry 1-2 hours after eating though if you ate to the point of being full originally. I don't know if it's a physical problem or a psychological one.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-18, 04:16 AM

Thanked 4,770 Times in 2,055 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

Reduce your carb intake. Eat more fat. Don't do atkins its full of sugar alcohols and fake food. Look at low carb paleo.

Have a read of this. Pavlovs dogs reference is true. For the record I have not mastered in the slightest.

https://gettingstronger.org/diet/
Old 06-18-18, 04:17 AM
Jr Member

natnatroswell22 is on a distinguished road

Avoid eating fatty and foods that has a high rate of carbs. Lessen also your sugar intake. This may take a long time but this is all worth it. Stay healthy
Old 06-18-18, 09:06 AM

Thanked 6,372 Times in 3,046 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

Try a strict water fast for a few weeks. It should pretty much reverse any damage caused from consuming all of that junk food over the years. The cravings should stop within the 2nd week. By the time you start eating again, healthy foods will seem like a treat and you'll be able to avoid junk food altogether.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (06-18-18)
Old 06-18-18, 12:26 PM

ImaADHDGuy is on a distinguished road

I assume since you're on this site and have been a member for a while that you have ADHD. The impulsive hunt for constant stimulation is a major challenge for us, and this often manifests as impulsive over-eating (a very stimulating experience).

Instead of thinking of it as getting your eating habits under control, think of it as getting your ADHD under better control. Obviously it's not well controlled at the moment, to be blunt. Do you have a treatment plan currently? Do you work with a doctor? Have you thought about using an ADHD coach?